Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motorboater

Mustard Flour Vs Mustard Seeds

OK, I'm confused here,,,,,,,,,I have a bottle of honey mustard and the one ingredient that I don't know anything about is mustard flour. Is this a BAD ingredient? The other bottle says mustard seeds...........I know I could try and contact the company but I thought someone here would have a quick answer. Thanks

Pam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

OK, I'm confused here,,,,,,,,,I have a bottle of honey mustard and the one ingredient that I don't know anything about is mustard flour. Is this a BAD ingredient? The other bottle says mustard seeds...........I know I could try and contact the company but I thought someone here would have a quick answer. Thanks

Pam

'No problem ;) as long as no gluten is listed.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

They are mustard seeds before they are ground up, and once ground to a powder, they become mustard flour. Don't let the word flour when attached to a specific grain source (except wheat) be a worry. Mustard flour, rice flour, potato flour, tapioca flour and many others are gluten free.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

They are mustard seeds before they are ground up, and once ground to a powder, they become mustard flour. Don't let the word flour when attached to a specific grain source (except wheat) be a worry. Mustard flour, rice flour, potato flour, tapioca flour and many others are gluten free.

Thank you also........I "kind of" thought remembering reading that mustard flour is ground up mustard seeds but the word flour did raise a red flag.