This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Weight Watchers

disneyfan

disneyfan Apprentice

I was looking online at Weight Watchers and also read that their core plan could be more suitable for a gluten free diet. Is there anyone who is following Weight Watchers and is able to maintain a gluten free diet? I am interested to know what you can eat and how this plan works compared to the Flex plan (points). I'm not crazy about worrying about points, but would really like to do something to take off some extra pounds since going gluten free.

I am pretty good about eating lean meats, veggies, salads, fruits and staying away from gluten free foods (breads, etc) mainly because I don't like the taste.

I would appreciate any suggestions about the WW plan in order to make my decision whether to sign up online or not.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Hello

I personally have not done the core plan, but my mom did and lost 25 lbs and she kept it off. She is not gluten-free, but I know she had to count breads and dairy products if she ate them. As I understood her, as long as it's a whole food, you don't have to count points- with the exception of nuts. Which appealed to her since she is not into counting calories or tracking points. She really ate a lot of fruits and veggies, and limited breads to once a day. So, the program in itself is pretty gluten-free friendly. I'm not too sure about rice or any other grains... I know she ate different grains though (like quinoa). I can't remember if she had to count or not.

It really worked for her and she has maintained her weight for a little over two years now. And it taught her a different way to eat, not that she ate bad before. Just different things cooked different ways. She did hers online also.

Hope that helps!

finally diagnosed Apprentice
I was looking online at Weight Watchers and also read that their core plan could be more suitable for a gluten free diet. Is there anyone who is following Weight Watchers and is able to maintain a gluten free diet? I am interested to know what you can eat and how this plan works compared to the Flex plan (points). I'm not crazy about worrying about points, but would really like to do something to take off some extra pounds since going gluten free.

I am pretty good about eating lean meats, veggies, salads, fruits and staying away from gluten free foods (breads, etc) mainly because I don't like the taste.

I would appreciate any suggestions about the WW plan in order to make my decision whether to sign up online or not.

Thanks!

Hi, I do the core plane at WW and I love it. It is basically proteins,fruit, fish,veggies,etc. You should still watch your portions, but you can eat the usual of 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day. Make sure you drink all the water and have the skim milk (if you aren't lactose intolerant). you can also have brown rice and you don't need to count that as a point. my saving grace is, boiled eggs. i don't eat the yoke and they are free and you can have what you want (well i do anyway). i cut up fruit salad on sundays and eat that as a filler, or i make the weight watchers soup and use that. i also use the neslte hot chocoalte as my chocolate fix and it works. I just went back to ww 2 weeks ago and last week i lost 3 lbs. :) When i was first diagnosed with celiac i was one of the few who wasn't skinny. i was always an average size of 10 or 12, but when i went gluten free, i dropped alot of weight due to fear of not knowing what to eat. then i discovered the cookies, cakes, breads etc and boy did i overeat as if someone was going to steal my food. so now that i am back to my pre celiac weight i decided to go to weight watchers again, and have always found success with the core. you have to do alot of planning and food prep ( i weigh in on sundays, so i take that whole day after and cook and do whatever i need for the week), it really keeps me from cheating. I found with the flex plan, it really leaned toward stuff we can't really eat anyway. but don't forget with the core plan you get 35 points to play with every week so if you wanted a glass of wine/beer or a goodie you just count that into your 35 points. good luck. i really like ww, with all the diets i have tried in the past, ie: slim fast, jenny craig (all pre celiac diagnosis) , they never really worked for me, i got my result than put i all back on. with ww, i feels it helps with the celiac because it forces you to eat better and it helps with our health.

disneyfan Apprentice
Hi, I do the core plane at WW and I love it. It is basically proteins,fruit, fish,veggies,etc. You should still watch your portions, but you can eat the usual of 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day. Make sure you drink all the water and have the skim milk (if you aren't lactose intolerant). you can also have brown rice and you don't need to count that as a point. my saving grace is, boiled eggs. i don't eat the yoke and they are free and you can have what you want (well i do anyway). i cut up fruit salad on sundays and eat that as a filler, or i make the weight watchers soup and use that. i also use the neslte hot chocoalte as my chocolate fix and it works. I just went back to ww 2 weeks ago and last week i lost 3 lbs. :) When i was first diagnosed with celiac i was one of the few who wasn't skinny. i was always an average size of 10 or 12, but when i went gluten free, i dropped alot of weight due to fear of not knowing what to eat. then i discovered the cookies, cakes, breads etc and boy did i overeat as if someone was going to steal my food. so now that i am back to my pre celiac weight i decided to go to weight watchers again, and have always found success with the core. you have to do alot of planning and food prep ( i weigh in on sundays, so i take that whole day after and cook and do whatever i need for the week), it really keeps me from cheating. I found with the flex plan, it really leaned toward stuff we can't really eat anyway. but don't forget with the core plan you get 35 points to play with every week so if you wanted a glass of wine/beer or a goodie you just count that into your 35 points. good luck. i really like ww, with all the diets i have tried in the past, ie: slim fast, jenny craig (all pre celiac diagnosis) , they never really worked for me, i got my result than put i all back on. with ww, i feels it helps with the celiac because it forces you to eat better and it helps with our health.

Thanks for the response. I think I might try the one week free to see how I like it and if I can stick with it before I pay to join online. When you say it takes a lot of prep, is that because that's how you do your food planning or do they have set meals you have to follow? I was hoping that you could follow the allowed foods and make up your own meals from that.

Thanks again for the help!

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Thanks for the response. I think I might try the one week free to see how I like it and if I can stick with it before I pay to join online. When you say it takes a lot of prep, is that because that's how you do your food planning or do they have set meals you have to follow? I was hoping that you could follow the allowed foods and make up your own meals from that.

Thanks again for the help!

Sorry when I say prep, I try to plan my meals for the week that will work for me and the family. You definetly follow your own meal and plan, they just help you by letting you know which one of the foods is core and how big of a portion it is. I did the sign up on line before, I liked it, meaning that you can access a lot of good recipes and make it into celiac food. Good luck, it is all trial and error, but by far this seems to be the best one out there.

Ridgewalker Contributor

I'm getting ready to start doing WW-- the points system. I'm not joining officially. A friend had me figure out how many points I can have per day, etc.

I also found this calculator: Open Original Shared Link I was really glad to find that, so I can figure out the points for gluten-free foods that aren't likely to be listed in any of the books, and any homemade things.

b91hd7fjk Apprentice

Hey!!

I am kind of in the same boat...I went nuts when I discovered the gluten-free goodies but it packed on the pounds!! I am going to Hawaii this spring but my bikini is not looking up to par...soooo I was looking to start the WW core as well. I dont think getting to the meetings is realistic to my lifestyle and plus I dont even know where they are located in town so online would be my option...I want it to be a diet makeover and I also want to see results. I am just hoping online will have the amount of support I need. Like Rodgewalker I was trying to be a member through my friend and I really think its the support of the group that I need. Will this be enough if I do it online??

-Staci

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived