This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kansas City - Genghis Khan Mongolian Barbecue

April in KC

April in KC Apprentice

This past weekend, I had a great meal at Genghis Khan Mongolian Barbecue. This is one of those places where you place your choice of ingredients in a bowl and they cook it for you.

I had been several times in the past prior to going gluten-free, but this was my first trip back since. I brought a bottle of San-J wheat-free tamari with me, as I thought I would probably need it.

They have a station with all the veggies, one with all the meats/seafood ingredients, and a final one with all the sauces. I skipped the noodles in favor of rice (which they bring to the table). At the last station, I made my sauce using their "Spicy" recipe. I omitted their soy sauce and their Sacha Sauce because I wasn't sure of their gluten-free status, but I used the other ingredients like sesame oil, ginger water, garlic water, etc. Each ingredient had its own ladle, so I felt pretty good about that.

I added my own soy sauce and no one blinked. Then, instead of handing my bowl to the guys at the grill, I walked it over to the bartender. I said something about having Celiac Disease and he nodded understandingly and said, "You want me to take this to the back and have them cook it on a clean pan?" It was that easy. The waitress brought it to my table when it was ready.

It was really easy & really delicious. I'd highly recommend it - just bring your own sauce.

April

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

April, Where is the Genghis Kahn in KC? Sounds like you had a great experience!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

This past weekend, I had a great meal at Genghis Khan Mongolian Barbecue. This is one of those places where you place your choice of ingredients in a bowl and they cook it for you.

I had been several times in the past prior to going gluten-free, but this was my first trip back since. I brought a bottle of San-J wheat-free tamari with me, as I thought I would probably need it.

They have a station with all the veggies, one with all the meats/seafood ingredients, and a final one with all the sauces. I skipped the noodles in favor of rice (which they bring to the table). At the last station, I made my sauce using their "Spicy" recipe. I omitted their soy sauce and their Sacha Sauce because I wasn't sure of their gluten-free status, but I used the other ingredients like sesame oil, ginger water, garlic water, etc. Each ingredient had its own ladle, so I felt pretty good about that.

I added my own soy sauce and no one blinked. Then, instead of handing my bowl to the guys at the grill, I walked it over to the bartender. I said something about having Celiac Disease and he nodded understandingly and said, "You want me to take this to the back and have them cook it on a clean pan?" It was that easy. The waitress brought it to my table when it was ready.

It was really easy & really delicious. I'd highly recommend it - just bring your own sauce.

April

gfjayhawk Rookie

That sounds delicious! I love Mongolian barbecues, but it hadn't even occurred to me that I could still go to one. Thanks for the tip!

April

At one time I had contacted BD's and had some info from them as to what sauces etc could be had. I know there is one of those on 95th, however I have yet to make it there to try! ha Where in Kansas are you two from?

jennyj Collaborator

I ate there a few months ago. There was 7 of us in our group and when they took mine to the back to fix it everyone was jealous that I got mine before they all did, lol. It was one of the times I felt like a queen.

April in KC Apprentice
April, Where is the Genghis Kahn in KC? Sounds like you had a great experience!!

Jessica - sorry for the late reply. There are two Genghis Khan restaurants in KC. The original (where I ate) is over in the 39th Street restaurant district - basically across from KU Med on 39th Street, north of Westport and the Plaza. There is another GK north of the river off Ambassador road. It's relatively close to Zona Rosa / Barry Road, but not in Zona Rosa. It's in a newer outdoor strip mall that has a Chipotle, Coldwater Creek, etc.

April in KC Apprentice
Where in Kansas are you two from?

I'm in a small community northeast of KC in Missouri.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
At one time I had contacted BD's and had some info from them as to what sauces etc could be had. I know there is one of those on 95th, however I have yet to make it there to try! h

I've eaten at the BD's on 95th!! No problems! Yummy too!!

gfjayhawk Rookie
I've eaten at the BD's on 95th!! No problems! Yummy too!!

Do they actually have gluten-free sauces (so we don't have to bring our own)? This is making me hungry. :D

Do they actually have gluten-free sauces (so we don't have to bring our own)? This is making me hungry. :D

Yes, if I remember right there were 2 or 3 sauces that were fine. Then you of course ask them to cook it in a clean pan. You can go to their website and send them an e-mail to ask which sauces (I can't remember which ones). It makes me crave some stir fry also!! And it's not even 10am! ha

-Jessica

I went to their website and they now have a nutritional brochure on it, in the bottom in tiny lettering it says Spicy buffalo and Lemon are gluten-free . Here is the link to the brochure:

Open Original Shared Link

gfjayhawk Rookie
I went to their website and they now have a nutritional brochure on it, in the bottom in tiny lettering it says Spicy buffalo and Lemon are gluten-free . Here is the link to the brochure:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks! Suddenly I have a very strong stir-fry craving!

jennyj Collaborator

I posted that I had eaten there, and when I told my daughter who lives near KC she reminded me that when we ate there I had picked out a sauce for mine that I thought was fine and when I told them mine was gluten free the people there told me it wasn't safe and that I could have one of three sauces. I was so impressed that they looked out for me.

Archived