• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I just got diagnosed with Celiac and my doctor told me to start gluten free today. I don't even know where to start for lunch today. My breakfast was a banana, so I don't really have any ideas. I've looked online, but am completely overwhelmed. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy lunch for a working person while I'm learning?

Leftovers are my standard lunch. I cook extra on the weekends are reheat meals in the microwave at work. If you have a Whole Foods near you the customer service desk can give you a print out of the gluten free foods available the store. This list will include some quick frozen meals.

Many packaged lunchmeats are safe. You can eat them in roll ups with cheese, mayo. Or put them in lettuce for a 'wrap.'

There are some Progresso Soups that are gluten free.

Baked potato with toppings.

Salad.

And left overs (once you figure out what to eat) are really good too.

Your overall best bet will be to learn how to effectively read labels so that you know if a product is safe to eat or not.

This list has companies that will clearly list any wheat, rye, barley, malt, or oats. If you don't see it listed, then its not hidden in the ingredients.

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

Maltodextrin is safe unless it says that its made from an unsafe source (w, r, b, o).

Modified food starch is safe unless it says that it is made from an unsafe source.

Good luck and let us know what we can do to help.

My daughter's favorite . . . peanut butter on a rice cake.

My son eat's cheese sticks and then dips carrots in his peanut butter (that's how I like my carrots, too :P )

Salad with some grilled chicken on it.

Tuna salad/Chicken salad/Egg salad - dipped up with corn chips (tostitos or fritos)

All fresh fruits and veggies are good.

I noticed that Chopotles (my fave!) has gluten-free options - i believe if you steer clear of any wheat tortillas, you're safe. Also many places you can get safe salads - as long as they dont put any croutons or fried noodles or anything on them. Many restaurants now have gluten-free options, or allergy info on their websites, etc. You can try calling some of your favorite restaraunts - asian restaraunts have a lot of good choices - meats, veggies and rice! Just be careful because sauces and seasonings often contain gluten. I think there is a whole section here for restaraunt eating, and many regional areas have support groups with local eat-out lists.

I stick to leftovers for lunch

but you can make nachos, i had some today, really good. Fruit is another lunchtime favorite! if I am not feeling daring, I will make a bowl of rice. since I am still learning what is safe, I tend to stick to fruits veggies meat and rice right now, until i venture out and find what else I can have.

Good LUck

You can't go wrong with good ole beans & rice!!!

I make hummus and eat it with rice crackers

I always keep cans of black beans, you can eat them with corn tortillas and chicken breast, and some salsa (I keep cans of tomatos too for that just add cilantro salt & garlic)

I make stir fry using veggies and rice stick noodles (asian in the ethnic food section @ any grocery)

I keep cans of garbanzo beans for hummus (blend with salt, sesame seeds and lemon juice)

I am still retraining my brain.

I wish you luck!!

lovelove

sickchick

If I had known then what I know now the first thing I would have done after diagnosis was invest in Kleenex stock.

It's a bumpy road but it's so worth it. Avoid Food Network for a few months and try and tune out all food commercials if you can. Allow yourself to cry because you're grieving a loss. Be patient with yourself and give yourself time. You will not get this all down in one day; NO ONE DOES. Just do the best you can and move at your own pace. Do what you're able to do when you're able, not because someone else says you have to do this NOW. Some effort and success beats not even trying.

Lunch for me is usually a green salad with meat, or Thai rice noodle packets with meat and veggies added. For salad dressing I use vinegar and oil with herbs mixed in. Whole foods are the easiest way to go. Fresh vegetables and fruit don't contain gluten. Meat doesn't contain gluten. Eat foods as close to their natural out of the ground or off the hoof state as possible. Where the problem comes in with whole foods is in the marinades and sauces and flavorings they're prepared with.

Avoid grains until you're sure you've figure out which ones contain gluten. And be warned, you won't like gluten free bread right off the bat. I've been gluten-free for almost 13 months and I still don't like it. People around here keep insisting I'll come to love it one day, but it hasn't happened yet. ;)

Violet

Hi, you gave really good advice. I'm new only 3 mths and so frustrated. I'm travelling the the USA at present from Australia and after having found this website I'm a little overwhelmed but the advice is great.

Gina

If I had known then what I know now the first thing I would have done after diagnosis was invest in

Kleenex stock.

It's a bumpy road but it's so worth it. Avoid Food Network for a few months and try and tune out all food commercials if you can. Allow yourself to cry because you're grieving a loss. Be patient with yourself and give yourself time. You will not get this all down in one day; NO ONE DOES. Just do the best you can and move at your own pace. Do what you're able to do when you're able, not because someone else says you have to do this NOW. Some effort and success beats not even trying.

Lunch for me is usually a green salad with meat, or Thai rice noodle packets with meat and veggies added. For salad dressing I use vinegar and oil with herbs mixed in. Whole foods are the easiest way to go. Fresh vegetables and fruit don't contain gluten. Meat doesn't contain gluten. Eat foods as close to their natural out of the ground or off the hoof state as possible. Where the problem comes in with whole foods is in the marinades and sauces and flavorings they're prepared with.

Avoid grains until you're sure you've figure out which ones contain gluten. And be warned, you won't like gluten free bread right off the bat. I've been gluten-free for almost 13 months and I still don't like it. People around here keep insisting I'll come to love it one day, but it hasn't happened yet. ;)

Violet

Dinty Moore beef stew in the microwave works for me! Also cottage cheese with pineapple, or a salad with safe toppings such as tomatoes, shredded cheese, deli-sliced lunch meat (be sure to read the label before you buy) and avocado. There are lots of gluten-free salad dressings. Again, be sure to read the labels. Peanut butter on rice cakes or gluten-free bread makes a "normal" (whatever that is! :rolleyes: ) sandwich.

It is overwhelming, but gets easier.

If I had known then what I know now the first thing I would have done after diagnosis was invest in Kleenex stock.

Violet

Goodness, I never thought I would need the kleenex, but being gluten-free for 3 months, I am definately seeing how i do need it. Last night the point was proven, when I started crying over a sandwich...Goodness..Anyhow, I am a little better now, still a little sad.

LOL. Now there is a topic: The dumbest thing about being gluten free that's ever made you cry.

Lets see, so many to choose from. Ahhh, I'd been gluten-free about two months and I was grocery shopping on my birthday in Vons where I don't normally shop and I discovered they carried a gluten free chocolate cake mix. Yep, I started to cry standing in the aisle just from knowing I could make myself a birthday cake. :rolleyes:

Goodness, I never thought I would need the kleenex, but being gluten-free for 3 months, I am definately seeing how i do need it. Last night the point was proven, when I started crying over a sandwich...Goodness..Anyhow, I am a little better now, still a little sad.

Keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies around.

A baked potato is great, top it with leftover chili, stuff it with sandwich fixins, try salsa and sour cream or steamed broccoli and cheese.

Mix some yellow rice with canned black beans and corn, throw in some salsa and YUM!

A quick quesadilla is awesome. Use a little grill or just a hot frying pan. Put your favorite cheese between two corn tortillas and toast on each side until melted. You can add some chiles or leftover chicken if you want or top with sour cream and salsa.

Always grill extra chicken, fish or pork loin chops to have leftovers. Slice the meat and put into leaves of Boston or Butter lettuce or mix into some stir-fried veggies or top a salad or add to a quick soup.

My favorite quick soup is.......Thom Kha Gai

1 box chicken stock

1 can coconut milk

1/2" slice of ginger, smashed

lemongrass (or some lime zest)

green curry paste 1/4 tsp. or to taste

a handfull sliced mushrooms

a thinly sliced carrot

Simmer together until the veggies are done and throw in some rice noodles and the leftover sliced chicken breast. Serve with lime wedges and tons of fresh mint or basil. Delish!

Another easy quick soup is......Pasta e Fagioli (say pasta fah-zool)

1 box chicken stock

1 smashed clove garlic

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can canellini beans

1 can garbanzo beans

1 can whole green beans

1 sliced zucchini

1 sliced carrot

1 sliced celery stalk

1 handfull or so of broken pasta (Tinkyada)

1 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. smoked paprika

1/2 tsp. oregano

Dump everything in a pot, don't drain. If you have some leftover chili or ground beef, throw that in as well. When the pasta and veggies are done, its done! Use different veggies if you want. Top with copious amounts of parmesan cheese.

LOL. Now there is a topic: The dumbest thing about being gluten free that's ever made you cry.

Lets see, so many to choose from. Ahhh, I'd been gluten-free about two months and I was grocery shopping on my birthday in Vons where I don't normally shop and I discovered they carried a gluten free chocolate cake mix. Yep, I started to cry standing in the aisle just from knowing I could make myself a birthday cake. :rolleyes:

:):) Vons has a gluten free chocolate cake mix? :):)

What brand and what aisle? :P

What is really delicious is a bowl of rice topped off with beans, freshly chopped tomatoes, guacamole, yogurt, cheese, and freshly chopped cilantro. Yumm! Don't forget some tabasco if to spice it up.

What is really delicious is a bowl of rice topped off with beans, freshly chopped tomatoes, guacamole, yogurt, cheese, and freshly chopped cilantro. Yumm! Don't forget some tabasco if to spice it up.

Yeah, well, that was this time last year. Then they remodeled the local store into a "Lifestyles" store. They took out the gluten free baking section when they did that :o But the local organic store carries the same mix so I'll live. Who knows, your local Vons may still carry it. I know they still have it on their webstore. It used to be in the section where the flours were. At the time they carried Pamelas Mix as well as the chocolate cake and a few other things.

:):) Vons has a gluten free chocolate cake mix? :):)

What brand and what aisle? :P