Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

disneyfan

Gluten Free Panini Suggestions

Does anyone have any good tasting bread suggestions for making panini sandwiches?

I recently purchased a panini grill and would love to make a "real" sandwich using a gluten free bread that doesn't taste and feel like a brick!

I tried the millet bread once where you had to keep it frozen, then try to toast it...disgusting! I would really like to be able to use the press since I have not had a sandwich in about a year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anyone have any good tasting bread suggestions for making panini sandwiches?

I recently purchased a panini grill and would love to make a "real" sandwich using a gluten free bread that doesn't taste and feel like a brick!

Here is a really good recipe that might work. It's made for wraps, but you could use two pieces for top and bottom.

Flat Bread for sandwich wraps

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

I have had such good luck using Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse breads for paninis, kind of pricey for a loaf but they really hold up and make a good sandwich imo.

My gluten eating family loves them too.

There are a few things you have to do to prep:

The bread is kept in the frozen section so thaw it out completely.

Then I found if I put the slices in a pan in the oven for a few minutes once thawed, it warms the bread all the way through and plumps them up (otherwise if you grill them or put it in the panini press before this step just the outside of the bread is warm and the inside is room temp and a little on the dry side)

We use Ener-G foods LIGHT Tapioca Bread to make Panini sandwiches. Even my gluten eating kids love them.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

We use Ener-G foods LIGHT Tapioca Bread to make Panini sandwiches. Even my gluten eating kids love them.

Really? I've only tried the Ener-g brown rice loaf and it was disgusting. Makes a nice stuffing, though, strangely enough....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I use energy white bread and it actually makes that bread palatable!!! HAHAHAHAHA :D;)

Good luck!

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

i've been craving a panini! might just have to make one myself :)

here's the recipe i am now hooked on, which i will use for my panini!

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...p;mode=threaded

let us know how it turns out!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I actually think the kinnikinnicdk tapioca rice bread is pretty good for a froazen bread, though it's not much of a panini bread. just thought i'd share :-)

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

I actually think the kinnikinnicdk tapioca rice bread is pretty good for a froazen bread, though it's not much of a panini bread. just thought i'd share :-)

I tried their hamburger buns and I liked them! They got a little gooey on the top but they had good flavor:)

Collette

NO Carageenan.

Really? I've only tried the Ener-g brown rice loaf and it was disgusting. Makes a nice stuffing, though, strangely enough....

Really! Ener-G Brown rice loaf is disgusting, but the Light Tapioca is really, actually GOOD for paninis.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

We always use Kinnikinnick tapioca rice bread and I have found that we can make anything with it. It isn't as good if it's not grilled or toasted, but it's the best bread we have found. I made my step son a tuna melt with it for his lunch the other day and he scarfed it right down. It's what I would use for panini's.

Step son (the youngest boy in picture) diagnosed with Celiac December of 2006, family eats gluten free most of the time, but not always.

I believe my husband also has Celiac, but is too stubborn to be tested.

Oh (duh) I have used the Kinnikinick pizza crusts before and just cut them down the middle too in a pinch!

I haven't tried the dark loaves of energy bread I am too scared!!! ;) lol

Does anyone know of a dairy free|soy free mozzarella??

thanks guys!

have fun

Collette

NO Carageenan.