Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cory727

Untested With Questions

I believe I have celiac disease. My Aunt has tested positive. And my father negative but I don't think they were right about him. I had a doctor tell me I could go on the diet and I would know within a week if I had it. And I strongly believe I do. I have been eating mostly gluten free for a year now. I say mostly because I cheat just enough to not get severe symptoms. I know I shouldn't and I CAN tell it affects me but without an official diagnosis I make excuses and push it as far as I can.

So here is the dilemma. Unexplained infertility and miscarriages run in my family. In fact for 4 generations not one female born to my father

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have to limit the gluten you eat to avoid symptoms, then you have a gluten problem, be it celiac, preceliac, or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. What difference does it make? Your symptoms would show that you are having a reaction, and that can't be a good thing.

You could always get tested by Enterolabs. Your "cheating" is probably enough to give you antibodies, assuming you are gluten intolerant. This wouldn't tell you if you are officially celiac. But it gives you a test result, without your having to make yourself sick (and do damage to your body) -- just to have a doctor tell you what (I think) you already know.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I'm sorta in the same boat, except that I'm much older.

There were two females in my family and neither of us could get pregnant. I finally did at 40 once I started taking lots of herbs and multivitamins, but then she came 8 weeks early.

Cheating is so easy when you don't know if you are really celiac. I am also cheating based on symptoms, but I never had the typical celiac symptoms. I'm an IBS'er. I'm currently doing experiments to test what does or doesn't cause my symptoms to reappear. I guess I'm gonna have to start a journal so that I'm sure what's affecting me. I don't feel that wheat is actually very healthy whether gluten intolerant or not, so I'm not wanting to go crazy, but I miss flour as a thickener and pizza mostly.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

Thanks for the input. My cheating usually consists of contaminated foods not straight flour. Like rice krispies or soy sause if I just have a little. It still makes me sick, but I can function if I don't do it too often.

However, if you have Celiac, functioning does not equate to "no damage being done."

The executive director of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness had fertility problems and tells her story here: http://www.celiaccentral.org/Other/Alice_Bast/272/

Heidi Collins of CNN is a spokesperson for the same group and also had fertility issues: http://www.celiaccentral.org/Newsletter/Ne...nouncement/305/