Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AliB

Diagnosis - What Were Your Symptoms?

Hi. I am the typical candidate for gallstones - fat, (now) fair, flatulent and forty (well, fifty actually), which is what I thought my problem was. I have always had stomach and weight problems, in latter years I have suffered with IBS and had bouts of GERD and was diagnosed diabetic 10 years ago.

About 6 months ago after my Diabetic medication was changed, I developed a bad sore stomach (one of the side effects). As the medication was not successful, after 3 months I was taken off it and put back on to Insulin. Unfortunately the stomach did not get better and has steadily got worse and I have found it increasingly difficult to digest certain foods, especially meat, although most foods give me some pain. Although I have not noticed any obvious problems with bread, flour etc., I have always found pasta difficult to digest, and some other things. I have tried various herbal remedies to try and help, eating different foods and have been given Omeprazole by my doc with limited success.

Last weekend I suddenly developed fatty floaty stools (which has now turned to diarrhea) which frightened the life out of me as I thought I had a blocked bile duct. Last night the pain in my stomach (upper centre just below sternum area) got so bad I went to the hospital. Blood tests, X-rays, came back fine and the Ultrasound even showed up I had NO gallstones to my amazement. I am bewildered. It's good that its fine but I am no further forward. The only problem other than the stomach seems to be mild inflammation of the gall-bladder although I may need to have a Laparoscopy for further investigation.

I was doing some research to see if I could find any clues - my doc today suggested maybe bile reflux, and came across this site. I was amazed to see that some of the symptoms apply to me, then I remembered that although she wasn't convinced at the time, a doctor thought that my Mum shortly before she died in 2000 was Celiac.

I am interested to see what symptoms others had before they were diagnosed, especially if they are similar to mine. There are other ailments that can cause similar symptoms but I would be interested in others' symptoms even going back years before diagnosis.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac is definitely work looking into. I also wanted to say that my mom had her gallbladder removed a few years ago with no stones. So, if you feel that your gallbladder needs further investigation, it will probably be up to you to spearhead that project.

She was experiencing terrible pain, and when the test came back negative for no stones, the docs said ok, not your gallbladder and sent her on her way.

She called back a few days later and said my pain is worse. SOMETHING is wrong. When they figured it out, her gallbladder was only working at 15%. Good thing she insisted. The point is, don't give up trying to figure it out.

It very well could be celiac as it manifests itself in sooo many different ways, usuallly not what is considered to be "classic". And if your mom had it, that definitely increases your risk.

Hope you get to his bottom of this soon!!

Liz

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

I would agree that you need to check more into the celiac possibility. You sound like a lot of us. An abbreviated list of my prediagnosis problems is in my signature. You have come to a great place for info, read, read, read and ask any questions you need to. Welcome.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)