Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jewi0008

Someone Please Help Me!

Can someone help me understand this:

My Dr ordered me IGG and IGA blood tests. But before I got the tests done, I switched jobs. Now, starting Feb 1 I finally have insurance again and can get the tests. I am currently an "unconfimred Celiac." BUT, here is what has been going on.

All of Christmas I was eating normally....wheat, gluten, anything! There were days when my stomach would be messed up, floating stools, just an icky feeling. But then there were days I was ok. Then, January 1-18 I went on a Mild detox. I had no wheat, gluten, unnatural sugar, caffeine, meat, dairy and soy. Lived on fruit, nuts, veggies, healthy fats. My stomach problems went away for the most part.

Fast forward to today. Last Friday-Sunday I went back to eating normally minus the meat. I've eaten some bread and other wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, so on and so on. Sunday-today have been miserable. At least one major bowel at night...with a "pile" of fatty bowel or floaters. Bloating some. VERY gassy and crampy. My mouth hurts, teeth and gums sensitive. In addition, my eyes are twitching and I got 3 canker sores...they are all very small and don't really hurt; nonetheless, they are there.....

My question: If I gave up wheat and gluten for so long and then ate it in a small amount, would it hit me harder than if I were consistently consuming it? I UNDERSTAND that I should not be eating it at all, but are the effects less if you've been eating it on a daily basis?

I'm ready to get tested! I'm miserable and depressed!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can someone help me understand this:

My Dr ordered me IGG and IGA blood tests. But before I got the tests done, I switched jobs. Now, starting Feb 1 I finally have insurance again and can get the tests. I am currently an "unconfimred Celiac." BUT, here is what has been going on.

All of Christmas I was eating normally....wheat, gluten, anything! There were days when my stomach would be messed up, floating stools, just an icky feeling. But then there were days I was ok. Then, January 1-18 I went on a Mild detox. I had no wheat, gluten, unnatural sugar, caffeine, meat, dairy and soy. Lived on fruit, nuts, veggies, healthy fats. My stomach problems went away for the most part.

Fast forward to today. Last Friday-Sunday I went back to eating normally minus the meat. I've eaten some bread and other wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, so on and so on. Sunday-today have been miserable. At least one major bowel at night...with a "pile" of fatty bowel or floaters. Bloating some. VERY gassy and crampy. My mouth hurts, teeth and gums sensitive. In addition, my eyes are twitching and I got 3 canker sores...they are all very small and don't really hurt; nonetheless, they are there.....

My question: If I gave up wheat and gluten for so long and then ate it in a small amount, would it hit me harder than if I were consistently consuming it? I UNDERSTAND that I should not be eating it at all, but are the effects less if you've been eating it on a daily basis?

I'm ready to get tested! I'm miserable and depressed!!!!!

From what you are describing, you have been on and off for several weeks trying to "test" your system, and then went back to eating gluten and wheat. Your stomach doesn't know what's going on...except for the fact that I would bet you are definitely gluten intolerant and the tests will probably show that. I went gluten free almost 1 year ago and in the beginning I did cheat. I probably didn't notice much difference because I had not healed yet, but when I cheat now (and I do sometimes) I feel the affects of the food almost immediately. You should be eating gluten and wheat before you are tested in order to get a correct result. From the sound of it, I would probably go "gluten free" once you had the tests because you do have many of the symptoms.

Good luck.

The answer is yes. Think of someone giving up smoking .... when they are smoking dozens per day, a single cigarette doesn't make them feel ill even though overall they might be. Then when they quit for several months, one cigarette may make them feel awful.

That's similar to how it works with gluten.

Unfortunately, you must be consuming gluten for the testing, so don't give it up quite yet. You need to be eating a substantial amount of it for months before testing.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06