Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nailehead

How "certain" Is The Positive Cd Blood Test!?

or should i still get a scope to make sure?

i have only really seen my Doctor 2 times since being diagnosed abou 3 months ago, and i am wondering if i should have any more extensive tests or a scope?

I mean my Doc was pretty positive after finally doing the right blood test, AND i pretty much have all the symptoms in the book, but HOW sure is the blood test?

any thoughts or info on this would be great!

thanks

nailehead

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you started the glutenfree diet yet? It really depends on how comfprtable you are with the results. If you feel like you want to have the biopsy to make sure, then go for it.

For me, the blood positive blood test was enough. However, for my brother the postitve blood was not enough to satisfy him. He saw another doctor and had the biopsy.

Good luck!

Guest jhmom

I think if your test results were positive and you improve on the gluten-free diet that is enough. Of course its up to you, but with my experience biopsies can come back negative even when blood tests are positive and vice versa. Good luck to you :)

thanks guys!

just being "misdiagnosed" for so many years always makes me wonder how correct these damn doctors are all the time.

Especially with an Insurance HMO "Genral Physician", i cant help being a little worried or suspect.

I feel she is a good Doc. and has actually been the only one to finally REALLY take the time and "listen" to me and all my severe symtoms, instead of 4 other Doctors all saying "Sorry, you've got a bad case of IBS, live with it!" :angry:

I actually had an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy about 6 months ago, but they were looking for the wrong thing (Chrohns Disease, IBD, etc.) and not Celiac.

came back inconclusive....

I am about 95% sure i have celiac disease, but am wondering after having it for years and not knowing it that i may some some other underlying "problems" also.

but , YES, i have been on a "mostly" gluten free diet...i have slipped a couple of times...but also "paid" for it... <_<

oh well..."day by day!"

It's a personal call. If you feel you need to have that part of the diagnosis, or if your doctor requires a scope for a dx, then it's something to consider. It depends on your situation, your needs, and your doctor. I didn't get a scope, and went off of inconclusive blood tests and a positive dietary challenge, but there is no "one size fits all" answer to this question.