Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crishelle

Swelling And Hives

Has anyone ever gotten swelling, hives, and bright red cheeks as a reaction to gluten? We are a gluten-free household, but I accidentally bought one jar of gluten containing baby food for my nine month old. I still don't know how that happened! Anyway, she broke out in hives, her face swelled up, and her cheeks are BRIGHT red. My older daughter and I never had those reactions to gluten! I am not sure if she had a reaction or if she is maybe sick...There is nothing else new she has been exposed to. She is also irritable and screamed at me when I touched her belly. She is normally a pleasant child....

Still can't believe I ended up with gluten baby food! Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've gotten swelling and hives from gluten before. The bright red cheeks could also mean an allergic reaction (as can the hives and swelling). Watch her carefully, if she seems to develop other problems, like not being able to breathe, take her to the ER immediately!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You poor thing! I read your list of ailments! And I complain about GLUTEN INTOLERANCE!!! Forgive my ignorance, but what do you eat?

Well, for the most part I just eat meat, some vegetables, the occasional banana (if I eat them too often I get oral allergy syndrome), peeled pears, peeled golden delicious apples, salads, nuts, fish. Sometimes I bake with buckwheat flour, and if I feel like it I eat cream of buckwheat for breakfast (I am not a cereal person, plus I can't eat too many starches).

How is your little one, any better?

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------