Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Need Some Help!

i do not know whats going on with me!

i was SO careful and ate so carefully yet when i got home i had small itchy bumps on the tops of the backs of my thighs and the fronts of them.

i ate sushi (with NO sauce, no nothing on it)

a few edamame

vanilla and chocolate ice cream with peanut butter

now what gives!!! why am i still breaking out in hives?!

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did you make the sushi? I wonder if you got CC'd from it. Perhaps not from the ingredients but from the making.

A lot of us also have other intolerances. I get hives also but I get them from soy, I get blisters from gluten. Have you greatly increased the amount of soy you are consuming? It took me a while to figure out the soy, which was confirmed by Enterolab last summer.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

i wouldnt think i was increasing the soy. no, i didnt make the sushi myself. i went to a very high-end fish restaurant.

so you think the soy made me break out in hives?

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

This seems to happen to me every few months too. One of the first times it was from licking envelops, another time from going into a friends restaurant kitchen while someone happened to be breading something. It's not always from some eaten with hidden gluten for me.

Also I gave up edamame as most come from China now -- even in high end Japanese places. It would not surprise me if they coat it with a wheat starch prior to packing, freezing and shipping from China.

Ken

i do not know whats going on with me!

i was SO careful and ate so carefully yet when i got home i had small itchy bumps on the tops of the backs of my thighs and the fronts of them.

i ate sushi (with NO sauce, no nothing on it)

a few edamame

vanilla and chocolate ice cream with peanut butter

now what gives!!! why am i still breaking out in hives?!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

i wouldnt think i was increasing the soy. no, i didnt make the sushi myself. i went to a very high-end fish restaurant.

so you think the soy made me break out in hives?

I have no idea if that was the case for you. Hives are a histamine reaction and they usually show up soon after consumption of the offending allergen. One way to find out if it is a problem is to eliminate it for a little while, at least till the hives clear up for a couple days and then add it back in and see if you break out again.

However before you ate the sushi did you ask them to use a clean surface, gloves and utensils ? Even a little gluten residue left on the prep surface could have resulted in cross contamination.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I have no idea if that was the case for you. Hives are a histamine reaction and they usually show up soon after consumption of the offending allergen. One way to find out if it is a problem is to eliminate it for a little while, at least till the hives clear up for a couple days and then add it back in and see if you break out again.

However before you ate the sushi did you ask them to use a clean surface, gloves and utensils ? Even a little gluten residue left on the prep surface could have resulted in cross contamination.

what contains gluten in sushi? tempura? isnt that it?

I've known some places to use soy sauce in certain types of sushi, so it's not impossible there was soy sauce in or on the prep area.

Also what brand of ice cream did you have? Some brands have an ingredient list a mile long and could include gluten, particularly barley.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Surimi, the imitation crab sticks or crab salad that is in most rolls can contain gluten. It is used as a binder along with the fish. Some of it is Gluten-free, you just have to ask them to read the label.

Also, at my local sushi restaurant, there is wheat in their soy sauce so I bring my own. They also use soy in their bbq eel sauce, terriyaki, ponzu and spicy sauces.

Just ask lots of questions and make sure they know to use a clean board, mat and knife.

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.