This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Want A Sandwich

my3kids

my3kids Rookie

It's been about three weeks since my daughter and I have been diagnosed (actually, I was diagnosed previously but wasn't convinced it was true) and I am missing bread.

I've tried a few (can't remember which brands) and have not been impressed. Does anyone know of a decent sandwich bread?

Also, is it worth investing in a bread machine - does it make a big difference?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

njbeachbum Explorer

I had initially heard great things about The Grainless Baker products, and tried out the sandwich bread. It was very good, but it came frozen, and had to be toasted and was VERY small for a sandwich.

GET A BREADMAKER!!!!

My sister bought me a breadmaker (Breadman Pro with gluten-free setting) for Christmas and I made my first couple of loaves in the past few weeks. #1 it is super easy and #2 the quality of the bread is so much better for a sandwich. I have tried the Gluten Free Pantry and Pamela's sandwich bread mixes, which have all of the dry ingredients mixed. All you have to do is add water, oil and eggs... set the machine.... and hit go.

You will enjoy the sandwiches much more on your homemade bread. Trust me!!

mamaw Community Regular

Anna's bread mix is wonderful. Our kids love it. But if you were a mushy town talk bread person before you probably will not like Anna's. If you like grains Anna's is excellent.

We also love Lorka's bread from the recipe section...

Whole Foods sells breads that we also use for stuffing mix & grilled cheese.......

Against the grain has to die for rolls for hamburgers & stuff like that......

hth

mamaw

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

The kids used to like Kinnikinnick sandwich bread, until we found Gillian's French Bread Rolls. We LOVE these...they are soft, toast well, and it's the best sandwich I've had in three years. I haven't tried many others, but I can't imagine anything being much better than Gillian's.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
The kids used to like Kinnikinnick sandwich bread, until we found Gillian's French Bread Rolls. We LOVE these...they are soft, toast well, and it's the best sandwich I've had in three years. I haven't tried many others, but I can't imagine anything being much better than Gillian's.

Really? I always thought they were kinda gummy in the middle and stopped buying them a while ago, maybe I should try them again. Do they go stale once cooled after toasting like a lot of breads do? I can't remember.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I really like Kinikinnick White Bread. You keep it frozen (so you can stock up on it) and then I put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds on each side then in the toaster until light brown. I've tried Ener-G bread couple months ago but did not like the texture.

The Kinikinnick Bread works really good for a sandwhich right then or for later -- I was really nervous about how it would taste later in the day at work but it was still good. I just used a slice tonight as a hot dog bun :)

I started eating gluten-free last year so I am still new with brands. Hope this helps.

sparkles Contributor

NONE of the breads taste like real bread..... that being said, I do make bread in my bread maker and when it first comes out and is still warm, the end piece has the texture and taste of real bread (of course, I eat it with lots of melted butter on top). I do miss sandwiches so I have learned to "like" my gluten-free bread. I usually toast it or grill it. I even toast it if I am taking it to work and the sandwich is cold. Trader Joes has a "ryeless" rye bread that tastes like rye bread minus the correct texture! Whatever, there are adjustments that have to be made in life and learning to like gluten-free bread sure beats great tasting bread that only makes me sick! Sorry if this sounds negative... but I used to really like bread and I do miss the pumpernickle, rye and even good old gooey Wonder Bread!.... but now I realize that I just can't eat it so it is time to suck it up and start enjoying what I can... Let's face it... Life is a whole lot better without gluten even if the gluten did add some great tastes to our lives. I would rather have a life without gluten than colon cancer again with gluten!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taweavmo3 Enthusiast
Really? I always thought they were kinda gummy in the middle and stopped buying them a while ago, maybe I should try them again. Do they go stale once cooled after toasting like a lot of breads do? I can't remember.

Maybe it's just been so long since I've had a real sandwich, I forgot what "good" really is, lol. They seem to stay soft after toasting. If you didn't like them before though, I doubt they have changed much, lol.

mamatide Enthusiast
NONE of the breads taste like real bread.....

I beg to differ.... Lorka's bread (do a search on this forum for a post that I started on her bread) does taste like the real thing.

The processed gluten-free breads that are on the market are only good for *toasted* sandwiches... Otherwise I eat my usual sandwich fillings (peanut butter, tuna salad, egg salad...) on crackers.

Incidentally you don't need a bread machine for Laurie (lorka)'s bread.

mamatide

lizard00 Enthusiast

Where do you get Gillians? Is it the freezer aisle? I would like to have bread now and then, and the only I've tried so far was Trader Joe's french rolls... they were big, but had a significant amount of egg whites in them and did a number on my stomach. I've haven't had a sandwich since Dec- when I purposely glutened myself for my blood test.

Mistilyn Rookie

This is the bread that I make. I thought it tasted very good and had a good texture.

Only problem I had with the bread is that it is so moist and springy it is difficult to cut while the bread is still hot. So, make sure to allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.

I have also done this bread using rice milk and margarine and it came out OK, but I had to decrease the amount of rice milk to 3/4 cup.

Sorghum Flour Mix

3 - cups Sorghum Flour

2 - cups Potato Starch

2.5 - cups Tapioca Flour

Sorghum Flour Bread

Ingredients:

PatBrown Newbie

This sorghum flour bread recipe is the best bread that I have had since being diagnosed with celiacs. I am not a big bread eater, but I get cravings for french toast and grilled cheese. The first time I made this DH was hunting. I cut the end off, slathered it with butter(bad, I know). Then I had grilled cheese for lunch and the french toast for dinner. The bread doesnt stay fresh for long so I either send 1/2 a loaf to work with DH to give to a gluten-free person who works with him or as soon as it cools slice and freeze. I really hate baking but anything I have bought ready made is absolutely disgusting.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
It's been about three weeks since my daughter and I have been diagnosed (actually, I was diagnosed previously but wasn't convinced it was true) and I am missing bread.

I've tried a few (can't remember which brands) and have not been impressed. Does anyone know of a decent sandwich bread?

Also, is it worth investing in a bread machine - does it make a big difference?

The bread mixes by Anna are really great. If you want to get a bread machine I would recommend the Zorjirushi (aka: the Zo). For her flavored bread mixes like banana, pumpkin, etc. you don't need the bread machine. But for regular sandwich bread mixes, the bread machine is recommended and I have to say it comes out great and is so easy.

Open Original Shared Link

But I have to be honest, as easy as that is, I rarely take the time to make the bread. My absolute favorite bread is by The Grainless Baker. I LOVE the mock rye, and use it for sandwiches, grilled cheese, ect. all the time. And it doesn't have to be toasted, which is awesome. It does come frozen, but I just take out what I want and put it between sheets of paper towels to let it thaw and the paper towel absorbs the moisture. If I'm in a huge rush, I'll do this and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Their Cinnamon Raisin bread is also incredible. There is no way you would know it's gluten free. Truthfully I love all their products; but I highly highly recommend the bread. You will miss sandwiches no more :)

Open Original Shared Link

Respira Apprentice

Please don't even say the word sandwich...what I would do for a bologna slathered with mayo with lettuce on white bread...

Archived