• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sickchick

Digestive Question

Rate this topic

So how do you know that you cannot tolerate a specific food, do you automatically have a reaction of some kind? Or are there people who don't seem to have any reactions, yet eating those non-tolerated foods destroy the villi in the intestine...

for example, I eat BUTTER, spend an hour puking& on the toilet, but when I drink milk or eat cheese I don't have that problem.

thanks for the clarification 4 me guys! B)

lovelove

sickchick

I know that when i was younger, for a while I thought the butterfat bothered me more than the milk, since ice cream or cream sauces would send me crying to the bathroom but milk and cheese not so much . . . probably just gas. But i'm not convinced its really that the butterfat was the problem itself, as much as that fat is hard to digest, so the combination of milk product i couldnt digest plus extra fat was just slip-sliding its way down my digestive tract. How do hot fudge sundaes do for you? (yum yum ouch yum ouch yum ouch ouch ouch .. .lol)

btw, i didnt think other intolerences destroyed the villi - i could be wrong tho. i thought that was ONLY the gluten issue. Other foods cause other symptoms like bloating, d, headaches, rashes, but i didnt thinkthey could do that.

Dairy and soy CAN cause villi damage. Well, actually I don't know if they actually cause it or just stop the villi from healing when you go gluten-free. I think Ursa Major has more info on this though.

Ahhh thanks you guys!!! :)

Ahhh thanks you guys!!! :)

I'm sure dairy can slow or prevent healing. My Mum (uk) has been gluten-free for two years and couldn't figure out why she wasn't getting better until she heard about the dairy intolerance connection. After only two months gluten-free CF she says that she now feels better than ever although she also figured that soy was pretty indigestable and possibly eggs now have a similar effect to dairy. I'm doing likewise and hoping for the best.

When I asked about lactose intolerance to the doctor, she said that it was not uncommon for people to be able to tolelrate ice cream but not say low fat milk in coffee, because the higher the fat content the less lactose there is to bother you. However it doesn't help you if cassein is also a problem. It is for me, but I have had mature goats cheese a couple of times (like a good permesan or cheddar) and had no ill effect. Apparently goats milk has a different type of cassein which is easier to digest.

As for ice cream, I just love the coconut ice cream, I think it's better for you than ordinary ice cream, except for the expense!

I drink a lot of cream in my coffee and it never seemed to bother me.

When I drink milk, sometimes, my stomach will hurt within minutes of drinking it but most of the time it doesn't bother me.

I can also eat yogurt but once I thought it did bother me. Buttermilk helps me if I have indigestion. It's soooo confusing.

Good question! Now I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to dairy. :blink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/blog/1202-gluten-free-and-specialty-diet-recipes/
  • Blog Entries