This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help

Worriedtodeath

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

HI!

We thought removing wheat and lactose had done the trick. But yesterday and this morning she has suddenly had green mucosy mushy movements again. SHe's only been off of lactose 10 days and wheat 6 days but her movements had "stiffened up" and returned to a normal color and dropped to one a day. NOw they are mushy green again and her second for the day (3rd in <24 hours). Is this normal or has she gotten into something she shouldn't have. Her diet yesterday was banans, plain meat, veggies, yellow rice, kraft marshemellows, midel ginersnaps diary and gluten free, trix and fruity pebbles with lactaid milk. I couldn't fill her up yesterday and she ate constantly. Nothing seems odd or is mentioned on any lables concerning gluten, rye,barely, or diary. Did I miss something or is it normal to be back and forth to begin with???

thanks

Stacie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliet Newbie

Stacie -

The answer is possibly both.

It is normal to have good and bad days at the beginning. You can't always gauge things based on one day's experience at the very start. It took our son about two months before everything looked "normal" on a regular basis. You have to look at the bigger picture at first.

But it's also possible she might have gotten ahold of something else. Do you still have gluten in the house? Have you looked at your bathing, cleaning, and other toiletry products (lipstick or lip balm, lotion, etc.) Often tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E) comes from wheat germ, and in lotions, lipsticks, and soaps they don't necessarily list the source. We also had to get rid of all our Aveeno products since it has oatmeal (gluten cross contamination being the problem with oats). Also, if you cooked the meat in an old pan that isn't stainless steel, you can get some cross contamination from that, too. It is difficult to get rid of it all at first.

My advice (and feel free to disregard it ;) ): continue to be vigilant, but try not to worry too much.

HappyMomof5 Newbie
HI!

We thought removing wheat and lactose had done the trick. But yesterday and this morning she has suddenly had green mucosy mushy movements again. SHe's only been off of lactose 10 days and wheat 6 days but her movements had "stiffened up" and returned to a normal color and dropped to one a day. NOw they are mushy green again and her second for the day (3rd in <24 hours). Is this normal or has she gotten into something she shouldn't have. Her diet yesterday was banans, plain meat, veggies, yellow rice, kraft marshmallows, midel ginersnaps diary and gluten free, trix and fruity pebbles with lactaid milk. I couldn't fill her up yesterday and she ate constantly. Nothing seems odd or is mentioned on any lables concerning gluten, rye,barely, or diary. Did I miss something or is it normal to be back and forth to begin with???

thanks

Stacie

Stacie, did you check your marshmallows? I bought Wal-mart's off brand, and it says it's gluten free. The modified food starch in it specifically says it's made with corn. So you should check Kraft and see if it has modified food starch made from wheat (if it doesn't specifically say "made with corn or tapioca", then it is from wheat), and it's a big source of "hidden" gluten.

Good luck!

~Heather

PS-- I just checked my handy-dandy "Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide" sold on this website, and it does NOT list Kraft as a "safe" brand. It's either an oversight (they didn't ask) or on purpose (cause it's got it!).

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

HI!

Checked the marshmellows and it says modified corn starch. They all say that so I am assuming that is safe to consume. Perhpas it is just a healing thing and will take much longer to be normal.

thanks for the quick response. I'm about to decide to just keep her and everyone else on fruits/veggies/plain meat until they are all normal and then add in foods. that way I kow nothing is causing it.

Thanks

Stacie

skikat Apprentice

Hello-

Also, keep in mind...although it is rare...some people have a permanent casein intolerance as well, just like gluten. Even though she is drinking Lactaid...it still has casein in it. Remember, a casein intolerance is different from lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance is often temporary in celiac, but casein is not.

Archived