• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BostonCeliac

gluten-free Cupcakes Now In Boston/cambridge Area

Rate this topic

Just wanted to let everyone know -- there is now a place to get gluten-free Cupcakes in the Boston area!!

It's called Kick Ass Cupcakes -- haven't been yet, but they deliver and I'm planning on getting some ASAP! They are in Davis Square on the Redline.

Anyone been?

http://kickasscupcakes.com/index.php

PS -- for those in Cambridge, i'm OBSESSED with the Oxford Spa. That bread is absolutely incredible! I ask every single time I go in if I can buy a loaf, but the woman who makes it lives out in Worcester, and has a full time job and only makes it when she can.

Oh awesome!

I just moved up to Somerville this fall, and now I'm close to Oxford Spa, Hot Off the Press, *and* gluten free cupcakes? So nice.

-Em

Bostoncelaic

Tell me more about the OXford Spa? I'm heading that way sometime this year. Are you telling me they serve a gluten-free bread there? WOW.

You said the lady who makes it has a full-time job, can you get her name & or address -email addy for me?

You can send it through a private e-mail if you like.

thanks

mamaw

Bostoncelaic

Tell me more about the OXford Spa? I'm heading that way sometime this year. Are you telling me they serve a gluten-free bread there? WOW.

You said the lady who makes it has a full-time job, can you get her name & or address -email addy for me?

You can send it through a private e-mail if you like.

thanks

mamaw

HEY MamaW ---

YES -- they have the most incredible gluten free bread there. THey make two kinds - onion and dill - and they almost always run out of the onion immediately, but the dill is just as good! I've come to find that non-celiacs have caught on to the gluten-free bread, so others order it! The first time I ate it I was nervous because it tasted too good to be true. I LOVE getting a bacon/egg/cheese on either the onion or dill!

As for the woman who makes the bread. I can get no more information than what I've said. Every single time I go in there and ask for special orders of the bread, or the recipe, or offers to help her to start her own business (haha), etc!

The issue is - she is the head chef at a prep school somewhere in New England - and it occupies all of her time. I believe her husband/ex-husband is the owner of the Oxford Spa - and their daughter has Celiac -- so she makes the bread (she also makes cookies & brownies - they have a special gluten-free sweet section with individually wrapped treats) in her spare time only.

BUMMER. She could honestly make a FORTUNE with this bread.

I will continue to pester everytime I go in there & will put any updates on here!

By the way -- EWalton, how is Hot Off the Press?? I need to get there....

Hot of the Press was awesome. They don't have anything about "gluten free" posted on the menu as far as I noticed, but if you ask they're happy to make any of the sandwiches gluten-free. They carry a couple of the food-for-life breads and Jillian's rolls and...I think something else....

They don't actually press the gluten-free sandwiches- too much risk for CC- but they do toast the bread for you. And it wasn't any extra!

The owner is excellent. She thought of more CC issues than I did when I was asking questions. She really gets it.

I would suggest going at an off-peak time, of course. I don't know how busy it gets at noon but I've been at 1 or 1:30 and it's quiet enough that they can focus on your order.

I have to say, I ordered cupcakes from Kickass Cupcakes, and was slightly disappointed. They were VERY dense and heavy. tasted ok, but not great...I've made better ones out of a box that were less dense...

They have a few flavors right now, Plain Vanilla cake with either vanilla or chocolate frosting, the Lucky (lemon cupcake with white chocolate buttercream and candied ginger frosting, and the Mojito (rum soaked cupcake with sugar cane lime frosting, and fresh mint). I hear they're working on a chocolate cupcake now, too. There is a disclosure at the register, though, which sort of aggravated me, it said that any of their items could contain wheat because they're not a dedicated gluten free bakery. how sucky...I was nervous eating them, but I didn't get sick.

I liked the Mojito the best, but again they were so dense, and they wouldn't last more than 2 days. (I was going to bring them to a party which got cancelled, and so I got stuck with a dozen and a half special order cupcakes that I had to eat all by myself. ugh! and I couldn't even bring them to a gathering I went to two days later...sad. I guess that's the price you pay for gluten free)

though...I'm sure I've made much better and lighter cupcakes than that, gluten free. And they lasted longer!

Maybe I'll start my OWN gluten free restaurant/bakery...anyone want to help??

My roommate was telling me how good Kickass's regular cupcakes are and I got a little jealous. I am excited to try their gluten-free versions.

My downstairs neighbor is the owner of Hot off the Press.

The last time I went in there she offered to wrap the sandwich in tin foil and then press it. (so it was safe, crunchy and goody!)

Her name is Erin and she is really cool about taking extra steps to keep food safe. The other staff is a little less enthusiastic, so sometimes you have to remind them.

(I ask for them to lay down some of that disposable tissue on the bar where they layer the ingredients, so I don't get all the crumbs on the bottom... but I am really sensitive, gut-wise)

I have to say, I ordered cupcakes from Kickass Cupcakes, and was slightly disappointed. They were VERY dense and heavy. tasted ok, but not great...I've made better ones out of a box that were less dense...

They have a few flavors right now, Plain Vanilla cake with either vanilla or chocolate frosting, the Lucky (lemon cupcake with white chocolate buttercream and candied ginger frosting, and the Mojito (rum soaked cupcake with sugar cane lime frosting, and fresh mint). I hear they're working on a chocolate cupcake now, too. There is a disclosure at the register, though, which sort of aggravated me, it said that any of their items could contain wheat because they're not a dedicated gluten free bakery. how sucky...I was nervous eating them, but I didn't get sick.

I liked the Mojito the best, but again they were so dense, and they wouldn't last more than 2 days. (I was going to bring them to a party which got cancelled, and so I got stuck with a dozen and a half special order cupcakes that I had to eat all by myself. ugh! and I couldn't even bring them to a gathering I went to two days later...sad. I guess that's the price you pay for gluten free)

though...I'm sure I've made much better and lighter cupcakes than that, gluten free. And they lasted longer!

Hey! I'm pretty bummed to hear that they weren't that good!! I used to LOVE cupcakes, pre-diagnosis.... it's so hard to get them to taste good. Is the icing good? Is it sugary, like home-made? I've actually had decent success myself making them at home, and it's mainly because I like making simple icing with an entire box of confectioner's sugar (!).

Thanks for posting this though! I may give them a try anyway....

Melmak5 -- which "Hot off the Press" location do you go to? The one in Cambridge or the one in Charlestown? I really need to get to one to try it out!

Kickass cupcakes hasn't gotten good reviews in general. Their cupcakes are small, dry and expensive.

But I'm kind of psyched that there is a place to get gluten free cupcakes though! Although with the cc issue, I doubt I'd let my son eat them.

I'd love to develop recipes for a gluten free bakery... But I'm not the type to get up at 3:00 AM and start baking! But I do have some awesome recipes.

I got some cupcakes at Kickass this weekend, and I thought they were awesome! Better than Babycakes in NYC, I thought. Not perfect (the icing was too sweet for me) but really good texture (even slightly springy), and not at all dry. The Mojito cupcake was a bit too alcohol-y for me, but my fiance (who is a gluten-eater but eats gluten-free anyway to keep me company) really liked both the Mojito and the vanilla.

superbeansprout, did you eat your cupcakes right away? I did notice that the ones we ate right there were great, but the next day, they were really really dry and not very tasty at all. (maybe they need to be put in the fridge?)

-Char

Bostonceliac - I go to the one in Central Square, Cambridge.

I had a kickass cupcake 3 weekends ago. I think the texture was weird, but the flavor was pretty good. Honestly, if you cover ANYTHING in that much buttercream, it cannot be too bad :)

I've never heard anything good about Kickass Cupcakes and when I tried them myself was EXTREMELY disappointed! I don't suggest them to anyone!!! I actually can't figure out why they are still in business - that's how bad they are!

If you know in advance of a party or special occasion coming up, there is a good special order only bakery that does gluten free. They even do gluten free wedding cakes!

Check them out... Diamond Baking Co. http://www.diamondbakingco.com

There is also a place in Arlington, MA called Celia Cakes (www.celiacakes.com) that makes excellent cupcakes. Her vanilla ones are the only vanilla cake that my DD has really liked since being diagnosed. I believe all her stuff is special order, but she has lots of flavors and the stuff is really worth it.

Huh. Well, I guess my tastes are just different from everyone else's. It seems like everyone likes Babycakes, which I thought were pretty gross, actually, and I like Kickass, which other people don't seem to. The other places sound great -- have to give them a try when I'm actually thinking far enough in advance to pre-order. Thanks for the tips!

I am seriously thinking about the same thing......