Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

myallergicboys

New Here With A Few Questions

Hi,

I am a Mom to 3 kids. I have a daughter who is 10 1/2 , a son who is 8 1/2 and a son who is 2 1/2. My boys both have severe life threatening allergies to milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, and milder allergies to soy. My 2 year old has an allergy to wheat as well. We haven't had him tested for other grains. Right now the allergist thinks his symptoms are due to wheat allergy rather than celiac disease.

I suspect that my daughter has an issue with gluten as well. I've suspected it for a long time. She's been constipated since birth. She has eczema and always has, but it's not terrible. She has literally been on some type of constipation medicine since 2 months of age. It might not be related, but she lives on gluten and dairy. Of interest, she has a history of IgA deficiency. She also failed miserably at introducing all grains as an infant. Responded with gut pain and rash.

My 8yo has a an immune deficiency. He has been IgA def, but that has since resolved. Now he is IgG deficient. He has had the blood test for celiac and it came back negative.

My 2yo has had loose stools or diarrhea since he was 17 months old. Prior to that he was constipated. The stools changed after an anaphylactic reaction to dairy and have never gone back. He has always shown symptoms with wheat (even through breastmilk), but not life threatening like his other allergies. He has never been a good sleeper, he is constantly whiney. His eating is pretty hit or miss. The latest symptom is that he has gone from 80th% on the chart for height to 25%. This is over the past 8 months.

I suspect that I also have a problem with gluten. I get horribly sleepy right after I eat it. I've had reflux that does not respond to drugs for over 12 years. I'm tired, my whole body hurts most of the time. I've also had an itchy rash on the inside of both elbows for a few years.

So, we are all about to go gluten free. My biggest issue is finding products that are not only gluten free, but also dairy, egg, nut and soy free. Plus, it would be nice if they actually taste good. :lol: I bought some Tinkyada pasta as my friend swears by it. We are going to try it soon. I've done some gluten-free baking with sorghum, potato starch and tapioca flour mix.

My 2yo's next doctor appt isn't for 3 months. I'm planning to go gluten-free now, but I realize that if we wanted to do the blood test that this would make it useless. Is it even worth doing the test or should I just do the diet and see what happens?

How long before we see results if this is the issue?

Thanks in advance. Sorry I have so many questions, it's just a bit overwhelming right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):