• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for the past 2 months and I am really surprised daily at the things I am finding out about this disease

I did not have the formal testing because frankly, I had already been through several tests for other things, hate going to the Dr., and by the time we figured out that this was probably the answer to my problems, I had already gone gluten-free so it seemed pointless to test and I sure as heck am not going to ingest gluten to tell me what I already know.

There are so many 'markers' or symptoms to Celiac that I have, that I have not doubts about a diagnosis. Aside from the GI issues which go right down the line with everyone else's, and being a type 1 diabetic, I also have Raynaud's Phenomenon, peripheral neuropathy, carpel tunnel, hip and joint pain, unexplained weight gain (lost it all whenI went gluten-free) anxiety & depression, etc.

And then yesterday in my reading I learned that 'geographic tongue' is a marker of Celiac and/or food intolerances, which I have had all my life and that bed wetting(yep, and I could share some wonderful horror stories about how my family dealt with this issue) is also a side effect of food inolerances.

Also read a teaser here (would love it if someone could explain what this all about and why this happens?) about why our fingernails don't have the 'moon'???? Well I checked and most of mine don't and neither do my daughter's who also has symptoms. The rest of the family have them.

Also rec'd a call from the manufacturer of my glucometer last night checking up on how my replacement monitor was functioning. Nice man. He told me that the company had a website with lots of interesting stuff and a great diabetic recipe section. (I'm sure he thought he was going to give me really useful information.) I countered with "Are there gluten free recipes included in the section?" He was clueless. I explained a little about what Celiac disease is and that 1 in 10 type 1 diabetics is also a Celiac. He had never even heard of the disease(To be fair neither had I until 2 months ago) so I guess I wasn't the only one to get an education yesterday. :lol:

I explained a little about what Celiac disease is and that 1 in 10 type 1 diabetics is also a Celiac.

I, too, am type one and celiac. In North America it's actually one in eight..... :)

I have the moons only on my thumb nails. I have been tested, and my vitamin B12 levels are perfect (or so it appears).

What are the "moons"?

At the base of your finger nails you are supposed to have white half moons.

I have the moons only on my thumb nails. I have been tested, and my vitamin B12 levels are perfect (or so it appears).

I also have them on only my thumbs and one index finger. I had my B12 levels checked last month and they were fine but I was also taking a supplement so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Guest Cari5393

I got this artile from google (dont know how to make it a link-sorry!) I can cut & paste though! :lol:

health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1518

Symptom:problem

White nails: liver or kidney problems or anaemia.

Yellow nails: liver, respiratory or lymphatic problems, or diabetes (before other symptoms appear).

Dry and brittle: vitamin A and/or calcium deficiency.

Round or dark nail tips: B12 deficiency.

Horizontal or vertical ridges: B vitamin deficiency, severe stress or a tendency to develop arthritis.

Thick nails: poor circulation; thyroid disease.

Wide, square nails: hormonal imbalance.

Blue moons at base of nail: lung problems or heavy metal poisoning.

Splitting: reduced hydrochloric acid production.

Fungus under nail: Candida.

White spots: zinc deficiency.

Concave or vertical ridges: iron deficiency or poor general health.

Inflammation around nail bed: vitamin C deficiency or arthritis.

Pitted: tendency to hair loss or baldness.

No moons: over-active thyroid.

Blue moons on nails: rheumatoid arthritis.

Brittle nails: thyroid problems, iron deficiency or poor circulation.

Cut and cracked nails: dehydration, drink more water

I am only missing moons on my pinkeys and thumbs, but have had hypothyroid for years. ;)

And what are the fingerprint/eyelashs things?

Cari

yep, thumbs only here too! plus the weird fingerprint thing people were talking about, and the eyelashes!

I too only have moons on my thumbs, but was wondering what the weird fingerprint thing and eyelashes is all about???????????

yep, thumbs only here too! plus the weird fingerprint thing people were talking about, and the eyelashes!

hi just read your post and was really interested in finding out about the weird fingerprint thing and eyelashes? would really satisfy my curiosity if you could fill me in.

cheers Jac

hi just read your post and was really interested in finding out about the weird fingerprint thing and eyelashes? would really satisfy my curiosity if you could fill me in.

cheers Jac

Hi, I'm not the person you addressed this to, but I remember the fingerprint and eyelashes posts. The fingerprint thing is that if you take your fingerprints, a marker for celiac disease or gluten intolerance is that you will see white lines, or white slash mark looking things. Also the fingerprints are difficult to even get because they are almost not even fully there. It's like they are worn down or worn away. Someone posted a fascinating little video that talked about it. Go back a month or two and you will find it. The eyelash thing is that having long, luxurious eyelashes is also thought to be a marker for celiac. So interesting, isn't it!

Hi, I'm not the person you addressed this to, but I remember the fingerprint and eyelashes posts. The fingerprint thing is that if you take your fingerprints, a marker for celiac disease or gluten intolerance is that you will see white lines, or white slash mark looking things. Also the fingerprints are difficult to even get because they are almost not even fully there. It's like they are worn down or worn away. Someone posted a fascinating little video that talked about it. Go back a month or two and you will find it. The eyelash thing is that having long, luxurious eyelashes is also thought to be a marker for celiac. So interesting, isn't it!

That's so interesting! I have almost no obvious fingerprints when you look at my fingers. Not sure what a print would show. The eyelash thing made me laugh. So it's like "God taketh away and God giveth"? I may die of a gluten attack or some dreaded side effect of the disease, but hey! What the heck? Won't my eyelashes look great when my eyes are closed and I'm lying in a box? People will say, "So young. So sad. But she's got the longest lashes I've ever seen!" So if I keep eating gluten, will the lashes keep growing? Might make reading a bit difficult if I decide to go on a donut binge!

If alcoholics get their own club, can we have one too? WAA's? Wheataholics Anonymous! "Hi, my name is Silk. I'm a wheatholic. It's been 3 months since my last piece of cake...." :D

Sorry guys, I seem to be replacing gluten with an attempt at humor today. Thanks for the information, Cinnamon.

Lol!!! At least we will leave a good-looking corpse! And we can also make extra money by stealing priceless works of art from museums since we don't have any fingerprints! "You'll never prove I did it, Copper!" No, really it's fascinating how this thing affects every part of our body.

I think my eyelashes hurt.

Unfortunately, this celiac was not blessed with the long eyelashes! Can't really think of any perks I got from having celiac. Hmmm.... :)

That is so freaky!!!! I have worked for the government since I was 22 and they have always had trouble getting a good fingerprint on me. I used to joke around that I would be a great criminal because no one could get my prints!!!!

That is so freaky!!!! I have worked for the government since I was 22 and they have always had trouble getting a good fingerprint on me. I used to joke around that I would be a great criminal because no one could get my prints!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Check out the post in the "Coping" thread.! :D