• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have heard a lot about this here. I'm just wondering if this is a fairly credible diagnosis? (Not doubting anyone, just considering it for myself and am curious)

Also, for those who have used it, did you find that your M.D. gave any weight to the results from Enterolab or have they just pooh-poohed it. (Sorry, really bad pun, but intended! :lol: )

Also, I seem to remember that someone said if you do the full panel of testing they also check for other intolerance. This would be the biggy to me because I know gluten is a problem but I continue to have other GI symptoms after eating and can't pinpoint it. I am not really wild about doing the elimination diet nor am I wild about the expense of testing through Enterolab, but I consider that the testing would probably be much less costly when you factor in the cost of foods (pepto for the bad stuff you ingestJ) and the time spent suffering until you figure this stuff out.

Would really appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

Sorry I cant answer your question but i am toally in the same boat and am desperate for feedback on it....I still dont know what to do and like you said financially it would be better to choose between the two. Aslo, what test on Entrolab should you check offto get done if u are already diagnosed Celiac and on the Glutenfree diet....I want to know intolerences not necessarily allergies.

Ok thanks.

-Staci

Sorry I cant answer your question but i am toally in the same boat and am desperate for feedback on it....I still dont know what to do and like you said financially it would be better to choose between the two. Aslo, what test on Entrolab should you check offto get done if u are already diagnosed Celiac and on the Glutenfree diet....I want to know intolerences not necessarily allergies. Ok thanks.-Staci

Staci, you could do the package of soy yeast and eggs, i think it is 199, i havent checked there lately. I was going to have that done when i retest my malabsorption this coming month.

paula

I would definately have the Enterolab tests done. My blood tests for celiac, ordered by my gastroenterologist, were negative. I had no insurance, and eventually ended up in the emergency room....everything I ate was making me sick and I was in a lot of pain 24/7. I learned of Enterolab thru this website and had the full panel done.....in addition to double celiac/gluten genes, I have a problem with casein and soy. I'm also lactose intolerant. I would have never known of these health problems if I didn't have the tests done. My hospital bill was in the $7,000 range and associated medical bills were about $1,000.00. Enterolab definately was cheaper. I had a CT scan done in the hospital and that eliminated any life threatening problem, and was advised to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. I will have medical insurance coverage in October 2008 and will have those procedures done at that time. The gastroenterologist practice where I will have the endo and colo done recommend and believe the results of Enterolab. The gastro dr. himself has celiac.

I've had heartburn problems for the past 4 years that Nexium and Protonix did not help. The heartburn has all but disappeared since changing my diet.

I have heard a lot about this here. I'm just wondering if this is a fairly credible diagnosis? (Not doubting anyone, just considering it for myself and am curious)

Also, for those who have used it, did you find that your M.D. gave any weight to the results from Enterolab or have they just pooh-poohed it. (Sorry, really bad pun, but intended! :lol: )

Also, I seem to remember that someone said if you do the full panel of testing they also check for other intolerance. This would be the biggy to me because I know gluten is a problem but I continue to have other GI symptoms after eating and can't pinpoint it. I am not really wild about doing the elimination diet nor am I wild about the expense of testing through Enterolab, but I consider that the testing would probably be much less costly when you factor in the cost of foods (pepto for the bad stuff you ingestJ) and the time spent suffering until you figure this stuff out.

Would really appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

I tested with them and found out I was also sensitive to Casein as well as gluten which helped a lot because I was still having symptoms after eliminating gluten and was getting really frustrated and confused. After also eliminating casein my symptoms went away. I also had my sons tested even though they showed no symptoms. They tested positive and we are now all on the Gluten-free Casein-free diet. My youngest (19 months) is small for his age and this may be due to the gluten. It has only been two months so I am curious to see if his growth will be positively affected. My five year old is better behaved since off gluten and dairy which is all he ate before!

My whole family has done the testing and the results seem accurate to me. Most of our doctors think it isn't credible but they don't really need to believe it. They do honor my requests for gluten free meds. I can't think of any other way I need them to believe in it.

They are an extremely accurate lab..............a great choice! Another great lab is Biohealth, but you need a doctor to order their tests.............google biohealth.

They are an extremely accurate lab..............a great choice! Another great lab is Biohealth, but you need a doctor to order their tests.............google biohealth.

Thanks for the information! Can anyone tell me if, because Biohealth requires a dr. to order the tests, does your health insurance cover them?

Also, since by process of elimination I know that I have problems with gluten, is it possible to do conventional testing through my m.d. for other things like dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc. so that ins. would cover it?

Bad day yesterday and back on the cream of rice cereal and feeling better but this can only go on for so long! Blah Blah Blah! :blink:

It is rare that I go an entire week feeling healthy...I was diagnosed Celiac (via bloodtest and biopsy) in 05' since then I noticed an improvement however lately I have had a lot of difficulty functioning. I have constipation for days then diahrea for an entire day usually. I finally convinced my general doctor to send me to someone for help...I saw an allergist who performed a scratch test on my back. (intentionally scratched me with gluten and I pretty much died from anxiety attack :huh: ) They finally said it came back completely clear so basically im not allergic to anything I am intolerant to things that are still giving me problems. I know now that they are totally different..my allergist told me that NO TEST CAN TEST FOR INTOLERENCES. I told him about Entero Lab and he basically told me it was a load of crap...I have been back and fourth about the topic because of all the positive feedback I have heard on this site. Anyways, I want to get the best test option for what I need but the test listings are soooo confusing. I know I dont need a test for gluten but....I want a test for everything else haha. good luck.

I am going to call my insurance Monday to see if they would be willing to pay a portion of it...otherwise Ill have to wait until I win the lotto...my allergist is trying to send me to see a nutritionist this week but thats $25 copay a visit...pretty steep.

Ok-hope my story helps.

-Staci

I did an IgG panel from my Naturopath when I was originally trying to figure out what was wrong with me. The results were very accurate. After being off the foods for about 6 months I reintroduced them one by one to see if I was still having a reaction or if the higher IgG levels were due to leaky gut. Many of them were true allergies/intolerances. Some were things I would have never thought of eliminating like green beans which I have an awful reaction to.

They finally said it came back completely clear so basically im not allergic to anything I am intolerant to things that are still giving me problems. I know now that they are totally different..my allergist told me that NO TEST CAN TEST FOR INTOLERENCES. I told him about Entero Lab and he basically told me it was a load of crap...I have been back and fourth about the topic because of all the positive feedback I have heard on this site.

I have only done a casual scan of the Entero Lab website but I only saw reference to gluten sensitivity, not to "intolerance". I have seen some usage of "intolerance" to mean only a digestive system response and that might be the context where the allergist was saying there was no test for intolerance.

By way of comparison I've seen "intolerance" used in a variety of contexts on this website to include use as an umbrella term to cover any negative response to gluten.

Does enterolab use the pharas "intolerant" or do they use "sensitivity" in their results?

Enterolab was my choice when after over 4 years gluten-free I started reacting to stuff after a severe GI illness. I had them test for everything other than gluten, we already know I can't have that. The test showed antibodies to casien and soy and problems have resolved after eliminating them.

Enterolab does not technically diagnose people, what they do is look for antibodies to the offending foods. Antibodies do not form without a reactive substance to set them off. If your body is forming antibodies to something it does not like it and is trying to protect you from the effects the substance is having on you. The substance that is causeing the antibody reactions in celiac and other intolerances spreads throughout the bloodstream and into every organ, these antibodies, once they are in high enough numbers will start to attack the persons own tissues in an attempt to rid the body of the 'foreign and toxic' substance. A lot of damage can be done before the levels get high enough to be found in conventional blood work, if they can be found at all as up to 30% will show negative on conventional testing even if close to death. Enterolab stool testing can find those antibodies before they get to a fatal level, something conventional testing can not do. The only tests that are more accurate for celiac are the mucosal challenge and biopsy of the mouth or rectum but those tests are not available at this point, at least in the US.