Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaffer81

New To The Group And The Disease

Hi all,

I just opened up my letter from the dr. which contained my lab results from blood work done: positive for celiac. I have not had any of the GI/stomach symptoms, but 6 months ago started getting itchy blisters and rashes which only got worse. My brother has been diagnosed with Celiac's, and somehow it came about that perhaps my skin problems were related to Celiac disease.

The Dr. wants me to confirm the diagnosis with a biopsy, but it sounds like I don't need a confirmation, the blood test was it, right?

I, too, have excessive persperation. I've never suspected it could be thyroid-related, although my mother does have thyroid issues and even had part of it removed.

Anyway, that's my introduction. I saw this diagnosis coming, I suppose, but I'm still moping and feeling sorry for myself for just a little bit before I learn to just live with it and move on. :(

Thanks for reading!

Alex

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If your skin condition is DH, you don't need a biopsy. If you don 't know if it's DH, I'd advise you to check that out with a dermatologist before having a biopsy. Even with a brother having it and you testing positive on blood, there's almost no question.

richard

Dont be sad about your diagnosis...........it is a blessing! Now you can really see what it feels like to be healthy...........you'd be surprised how much better you will feel, even if you werent feling bad. Its a tough diet, but the more you read about how bad gluten is for you, you will be empowered by this lifestyle. You came to the right place for advice............people on here are amazing and very knowledgeable. Good Luck and enjoy the journey...............Life is all about overcoming adversity.

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

I agree with the last comments. I'm new to this, but have I felt better in the last three weeks being gluten free than I have felt for Years.

You hear it time and time again, but you only realise how bad you actually were once you get rid of the gluten and start feeling better.

I'm not knocking gluten/wheat/cereals etc as those people that can eat them should continue to do so as part of a balanced diet, but if you are intollerant to gluten then so be it. Mankind (hunter-gathers past and present) live (d) fine without it and as long as you eat a balanced gluten free diet so will you.

Toitu he whenua, whatungarongaro he tangata

The land is permanent, man disappears

New to this also. Received positive bloodwork last week. My daughter had positive biopsy but negative bloodwork recently. We are both on gluten-free diet now and trying to figure this all out. I have had a rash on arms that is itchy and sometimes blisters. I don't think it's DH as I'm extremely sensitive so sun exposure. But who knows. Dealt with cataracts at age 50 and now osteoporosis. I figure by age 60 (in two years) my birthday should be a real blast. Just kidding. I really have a very positive attitude. I believe my Irish-Italian ancestors dealt this and I am first in family with diagnosis. For that I am grateful for me and my daughter. Now if I can just get my pasta and pretzel addicted brother to get tested. He is so classic celiac. I'm looking forward to the wealth of information and support from you all.