This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maybe I Am Just A Hypochondriac?

dbmamaz

dbmamaz Explorer

I went and picked up a copy of the Gluten panel to make sure, since I dont trust doctors - clearly negative. Now, I had been entirely off wheat (but not entirely off gluten) for 6 weeks already when the blood was taken, but the doctor didnt seem to think it would matter.

I DID react mildly to gluten (and casien) on the A.L.C.A.T IgA test. (although I reacted to 1/3 of everything i was tested for). It seemed like when I went off gluten and dairy, my digestion and mood improved and my headaches went away. Well, i felt bad last week because I ate at a party (headache that night, stomach stress 2 days later, anxiety and depression and fatigue for 8 days). And then yesterday all the kids were sick and I (stupidly) grabbed a handful of chocolate cereal (oh, its corn -based right? Yeah, but it has wheat lol). So today I'm tired and cranky and feeling like its all pointless, like i'm just going to feel crappy and hate my life forever and I have to just live with getting old (i'm 42 and have 3 kids and had a really awful stressful time for 2 years which just ended in June).

I have no idea if gluten really bothers me and I'm having a reaction to the cereal I ate yesterday and also somewhat sick and so thats why i feel so bad . . . or if i'm just depressed . . . or what.

What bothers me the most is that I dont have the energy for the kids that I used to. When my older (11, 15) were young, I'd sit on the floor playing puzzles, sing songs, chase them on their bikes. I feel like i never do that stuff any more, that I'm just too tired and cranky all the time. Ok, I do know I was depressed then too. But I just want to be left all alone (with a computer, and probably my husband), without the constant needs of my kids, the constant implication that i'm not a good mother, worrying about the middle one on heavy drugs, worrying about the youngest one following in his footsteps .. .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I would think that six weeks low gluten could certainly effect your blood work. But, does that really make a difference to you. If you feel better off of gluten, there is your answer.

If you have continued fatigue, perhaps you should get a full metabolic blood screening to make sure that you are not deficient in specific vitamins or minerals. That can also point to some side effects of Celiac. Fatigue was one of my major symptoms.

And stress can really reek havoc on our bodies and minds.

lizard00 Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I doubt myself at LEAST once a week. But then I remember what happened the last time I ate gluten... slowly I'm staying convinced I have made the right choice. My panel was negative too, and it's not surprising that yours was either. Half of this board had negative or inconclusive blood tests. Doesn't mean you don't have a problem with gluten.

What I had to come to realize was this: I feel better off gluten. I don't need a DR to justify that I feel better than I have in at LEAST a year and a half. If you feel better, stick to it.

I also looked into some vitamin solutions and started taking a regular multi, an added B Complex, and magnesium. I CANNOT describe how much better I feel after adding those. Can anyone say deficiency? That may be something you can look into. For me, that was just more proof. I eat really healthy, I can't exactly find any other reasons why I would've been deficient in any vit/min other than Celiac... even though I'm negative too... :huh:

Keep searching!!!! You will get your answer!

Ursa Major Collaborator

I agree with Lisa. If your doctor thinks that 6 weeks off wheat won't effect your celiac disease blood panel, add him to the list of clueless doctors (unfortunately, there are very few doctors that have a clue about celiac disease). Because it would DEFINITELY make a difference. Your blood test was useless as a result and means NOTHING!

All of your symptoms, including depression, low energy etc. could be caused by celiac disease.

Also, Lisa is right about checking for nutritional deficiencies. Low iron, low vitamin D, low magnesium and low vitamin B12 (or other B vitamins) separately could cause low energy. It is actually quite likely that you might be low in every one of those, because that is very common with celiac disease, due to malabsorption.

I suggest you make a commitment to be completely, 100% gluten-free, starting today, and keep it up for at least a month, to give the gluten-free diet a good try to see how you feel then.

You are absolutely NOT a hypochondriac! I've felt like you do now for most of my life and was treated like a lazy hypochondriac, when I had symptoms of gluten intolerance all along. Don't let anyone do that to you!

dbmamaz Explorer

Thanks for your supportive responses!

I'm feeling much more calm and dedicated today. Its just hard becuase I'm trying to avoid a WHOLE lot of foods right now - but only for 6 weeks, and then I'll start trying some of my milder reactions, like onions and hot peppers.

I had stopped my multivitamin because I couldnt get an allergy statement from them, but I"ll put them back in until I get something better. I also took out the fish oil pills, because I reacted to the kind of fish they are from, but i just picked up some flax seed oil. I'm also taking sublingual b12, acidopholous, zinc, and just added magnesium, and will add l-glutamine now that I know my dr wont be asking for a biopsy :lol:

I have found one doctor nearby I want to see, but not until i've exhausted what my insurance will cover. Her name is Susan Solomon (websiite is susansolomonmd) and she has an article about celiac and gluten intolerance on her website. She's an MD who turned away from the medical model - which is something I trust, becuase i know she knows both sides.

Anyways, I'll be around for now . . . thanks again

Archived