This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Slow And Sluggish Digestion

AliB

AliB Enthusiast

My digestion has gradually been getting worse. I started some months back finding that I couldn't digest meat properly and the digestion has just got more painful and sluggish since till it pretty much ground to a halt 2 weeks ago and virtually all I could eat was porridge.

I have been gluten-free since Monday and certainly the pain has gone and Diarrhea has stopped. I just wonder whether I will be able to digest meat and salad/raw veg again and it will get better.

Did you have similar problems and have you found that your digestion is back to normal (or even better!) since going gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lux Explorer

AliB, do you suffer from DH alone, or do you find that it kind of dances between D and C?

Also, how are you feeling at the moment? Is there a sensation of "blockage"?

x

aprilh Apprentice

Sounds like you might need some digestive enzymes. Or you could do a little bit of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar with your meal. Mix it in a little water and you could add some stevia if you need to sweeten it although its not necessary. Lemon water also helps. Be sure not to water down your own stomach acids with too much liquid at mealtimes.

A good quality probiotic at night before bed. A good brand is Natren. This will help replenish the good bacteria in the gut to assist in digestion.

holdthegluten Rising Star

I have had a problem digesting anything for the past year. I have been on a grain free diet and my digestion is so much better..........try a grain free diet for a couple monthsand i think you will feel much better......I eat meat,fish,chicken,veggies,eggs,nuts and seeds.......fruit sometimes. Its not that bad and the results after two weeks have been really good.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I started to digest things after I went gluten free pretty quickly, but a bout of pancreatitis ended the good digestion for me last spring. A couple of months ago I decided to give digestive enzymes a try and the difference has been amazing. I am finally gaining back the weight I lost last spring and I was even able to eat some chili and meat sauce with no problems the last couple of weeks. I don't know if they are something you might want to try at some point but they seem to have been helpful to me.

Archived