• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ken70

Candida And Die Off?

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I'm hoping I'm looking at the real mountain top. I've climbed alot of peaks in the past year only to look beyond to a new peak.

I am curious what your theories are on die off. I think I've had it happen 5 seperate times in the past year. Most recently last night. Last night was the first time I was aware that what I was experiencing was probably die off.

I've had it happen randomly as well as from a detox diet. Any ideas why the random die offs might occur. I'm wondering if my immune system simply reacted to a dangerous state of imbalance or if I ate something that was anti fungal, hasn't been eating sugar for a few days etc.

I would also like to know how many days after the die off can I expect to start feeling well again and what I can do to speed the process. I've looked through the candida thread but 19 pages is more daunting than facing food intolerances :rolleyes:

Thanks

Ken

First, from my own experience, the die-off seems to occur over a period of time, not all at once. For me it took a while, but about two or three weeks into it, I was feeling an incredible amount better. I started by avoiding all sugars and yeasts, and after a week or two it was obviously working. So I then started taking caprylic acid, which was probably the best thing of all. Every day seemed to be a new high in wellbeing. I continued the caprylic acid for a few months I think. It was maybe two bottles worth, as I recall.

I did refrain from fruit too, as well as things like vinegar, or anything that might feed the yeasty beasties. It actually took years before I could tolerate more than one piece of fruit in a given week.

Now, I use Stevia in place of sugar, and I don't notice any problems with fruits, though I don't go overboard with it. I don't care to take that sort of chance. I haven't eaten yeast since, and I don't know if I ever will take that gamble. I have enough issues to deal with, without that added to it.

Hope that helps!

Hi Ken,

I think die off can be different for everyone. What kind of symptoms were you feeling when this happened. Had you started the candida diet or eat anything antifungal like garlic?

Some really bad candida sufferers get die off with just avoiding the problem foods like sugar and carbs.

Drink lots of lemon water and do a detox bath if you are feeling bad. This assists the body with the toxins which is what die off is from.

And hey, join us over there on the candida page... you don't have to read the back 19 to catch up!!

APril

Hi Ken,

I think die off can be different for everyone. What kind of symptoms were you feeling when this happened. Had you started the candida diet or eat anything antifungal like garlic?

Some really bad candida sufferers get die off with just avoiding the problem foods like sugar and carbs.

Drink lots of lemon water and do a detox bath if you are feeling bad. This assists the body with the toxins which is what die off is from.

And hey, join us over there on the candida page... you don't have to read the back 19 to catch up!!

APril

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I was feeling fatigue and brain fog for a while. I knew there was something more than gluten going on because I have been pretty strict with the exception of soy sauce at sushi.

My diet was heavy in fruits and vegetables. I made salad dressing every night which always contained lots of vinegar, usually rice wine which is the sweetest form. I always had garlic and mustard in it but apparently this wasn't enough anti fungal.

I started Friday morning with no fruits, no vinegar no anything diet. Meat and brown rice and leafy greens along with whole cashews is what my doctor has recommended. The diet he has me on is more than about the candida, more on that later maybe.

The die off cam about 12 hours later and was severe. I have experienced this 5 times in the past year and one other time 20 years ago that I can remember. I came back from a ski trip by bus during high school. They gave us bag lunches and they contained a chocolate covered coconut bar. It was the first and last time I've eaten coconut because I was certain I had an allergic reaction to it. Looking back I think it was a severe die off. It was exactly the same as those I've had this year. So maybe I've had this for a long time and coconut is really just anti fungal. MY doctor has it on my list of approved foods. I may try some later today.

Headaches have been severe but the lemon water and epsom salt baths and the cayenne pepper tincture drops I have from a previous detox are helping I think.

Yes, coconut can be anti-fungal, simply because of the caprylic acid in coconut oil. But, if that's what it was, the capsules would again be my suggestions, especially since coconut (especially the oil) is so expensive.

Yes, coconut can be anti-fungal, simply because of the caprylic acid in coconut oil. But, if that's what it was, the capsules would again be my suggestions, especially since coconut (especially the oil) is so expensive.

Is this found at a GNC or other health food store? What do I look for?

Thanks

Is this found at a GNC or other health food store? What do I look for?

Thanks

You should be able to find caprylic acid capsules at any decent health food store/vitamin shop. Do be sure they are gluten-free of course.

They do sell caprylic acid at the HFS. However I have read that this particular way is hard on the liver and does not do as good a job as liquid caprylic acid (caproil). I read that here www.wholeapproach.com. They mix the caproil with psyllium husks fiber. This is supposed to bypass the liver and the pysllium works as a "scrubber" in the intestines and the caproil kills the yeast as the psyllium scrubs it out of the gut walls. The yeast can be very tricky and can hide in the crevaces in the intestines.

I try to use coconut oil when possible, it does not create die off for me. That might be because I have been at this a while! I also add coconut milk to soups and use it in cooking. Its YUM and good for you!

Other antifungals are:

fresh raw garlic

pau d'arco tea

Iodine

oil of oregano

olive leaf

Maybe your doc wants you to deal with the diet first and introduce antifungals later????