Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elye

Enterolab Vs. Blood Panel And Biopsy

Just interested to know how common my husband's testing experience is with other s who have gluten problems. I know that many on the forum have been positively diagnosed through Enterolab; this is where DH got his diagnosis as well, with high numbers for the Antigliadin IgA and Antitissue transglutaminase IgA, and a Fecal Fat score that is "severely elevated".

How many of you had both negative blood panel results and negative biopsies, and highly positive stool results? It seems so incredible to me that these antibodies could be completely missed in the standard blood work, and absolutely no sign of any problems with the scope/biopsy. The results are completely contradictory, and it makes me feel terrible for all the people who get negatives and think, "okay, no problem with gluten", and don't pursue the stool testing. I have absolute proof now that there can be false negatives through blood and biopsy, for the antibodies are there in DH...they just hadn't been detected!

His gastroenterologist poo-pooed Enterolab, interestingly, when I spoke to him about it a few months ago. Said it was "unfounded science" and that "gluten sensitivity" means nothing. Uh, huh......well, the antibodies are there.

I want to take DH back to this guy with the Enterolab results. Could be interesting...

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Really, that hard to believe? Gluten goes to the gut first. Your gut gets the first opportunity to have an immune response. It only gets to the blood after the damage in the gut is very severe. A study says that 30% of celiacs have negative blood tests and positive biopsies.

Then there's the issue with people who are "gluten sensitive". We *know* gluten is making us sick because we go on/off gluten to see what happens, yet the current tests don't find any evidence of celiac disease. However, the Enterolab tests pick it up.

Dr. Fine did a lot of research on his testing method. He followed up to find how many of his positive results had symptoms that went away when they went gluten free, and other means of double checking. Read the information on his site, especially the power point presentations to gain more confidence in it.

And in the end, try the diet, that's the only real test, IMHO. But I think I'm singing to the choir!

About 9 months ago, I had negative blood work for the celiac panel. Never had a biopsy, just a colonoscopy for different issues. My Enterolab results came back with two celiac genes, gluten sensitivity and a moderate fecal fat score absorption problem. That was my experience.