• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

horsefarmer4

Trouble W/lay's Plain Chips?

Rate this topic

I never have, I have been gluten free for 7 1/2 years and have never had trouble with Lay's plain. Many members say the safe Lay's chips are only made in Plano, Texas, that is stated on the bag and I have noticed since then, any bag I ever have is from Plano Texas, so maybe that is why I have not been glutened by them. I have never seen any from anywhere else though, so I do not know how true this is either! You will receive many different answers, I'm sure.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Because sometimes I do I avoid them as I don't like playing roulette.

I have also always heard that the Plano plant products are the only safe ones. To my knowledge I have only seen the Plano products but googling made me think that there are more plants.

I never eat Lay's, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I have read that Lay's are notorious for MSG in their products. My advice would be to select such products which list the ingredients as potatoes, oil, and salt, rather than a long list of weird things you cannot pronounce. If the plain chips are free of such additives, then it may be CC, or perhaps a sensitivity to potatoes, nightshades, or maybe the type of oil used.

I used them once, and didn't feel too great afterwards, it was not the full glutening feeling but it was like my stomach was a touchy. I never tried them again. Some members on here have problems others do not. It is hit or miss.

I've had problems with Lays; it took me months to figure it out, since the ingredients are just potatoes, oil and salt. Lays apparently has CC problems. I won't eat them.

(MSG is used in the flavored chips, not the plain ones).

I have never had any problems eating Lays plain chips. I read alot of things on these boards that people say bother them and the things they list never bother me i find it strange that it does some people and not others, i think it maybe other things than gluten that bothers them also, me...i have celiac, no other food allergies this maybe why.

It's reasonable to believe it's because of gluten or cc...but it could be something else. I haven't had a glutening in a long time, and i do eat alot of these foods people ask about. ..Quaker rice cakes..lays chips...amys...theres alot more i cant think of now. I know sometimes i just get a regular tummy ache..it isn't always gluten..but it is the first thing that comes to mind.

Never looked to see what plant mine are manufactured in....

have a small issue but I think its more oil related than anything else as I also get the same thing when I make food at home I try only to eat a handful and have no problems however if I eat more, the problem increases. Wouldn't call it gluten symptoms but more of a gut ache??????

People's sensitivity really can vary, some people will react to the tiniest amount of cc, others will need a bit more gluten before their immune system wakes up. That's why with some products it's a question of try it and see.

Pauliina

We eat the Lays plain chips with probably too much regularity :lol: and we have never reacted to them. My son and I are very sensitive to the smallest amount of gluten, and our antibodies are in the negative range. While I don't disbelieve that some have CC experiences with them, that has never been our experience.

In the beginning after going gluten-free I did and sometimes I do now when I over indulge. Could it be the fat content? My understanding is that you digestive system has to work so much harder to digest fat b/c things are working right (is that technical enough---argh)

Anyway, do other high fat content thinks bother you?

I don't eat the plain Lay's simply because I like the Ruffles better. Ruffles have ridges :rolleyes:. I also eat plain Fritos, Tostitos (for making nachos and dipping queso), and Cheetos. Haven't ever had a problem.

There's no MSG or preservatives in the Ruffles, Fritos, or Tostitos. Even if there was (which there is in the Cheeto Puffs), it doesn't bother me. MSG, preservatives, and those ingredients with the long names are not gluten. Maybe they're bad for you, maybe not. If they don't digest well for you, I certainly wouldn't eat them. Chips fried in oil with all that salt aren't exactly health food.

If I didn't have Celiac, I'd be eating a big 'ol greasy double cheeseburger. Or some pizza, fried chicken, fried fish, doughnuts, or any of many unhealthy foods. So please, leave me with some vestige of a vice so that I can thumb my nose at the universe and have my few guilty pleasures. :D

best regards, lm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    udayshankar

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Discussions

Hi, Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately I have to follow the MAOI diet for as long as I'm taking the MAOI, so essentially nobody's going to be inviting me round to dinner from now on… This is a bit of a shock. I don't really have any clear-cut symptoms that I would've considered worth going to the GP about. I mean I'm always tired and I have a bit of IBS and so on but generally I put that down to the other things wrong with me and the medication I have to take for them (mostly the bi
    Thanks Posterboy, that was interesting information.  I believe that I had read something elsewhere about tetracycline, at least, being used instead of, or along with, Dapsone for severe or refractory cases of DH. Unfortunately, even if I had medical insurance (which I do not), and had a regular doctor who was even willing to recognize and accept my condition for what it is, I don't know what kind of luck I would have in persuading that hypothetical doctor to give me a particular and non-sta
Healthysquirrel,  Please have your doctor check your Vitamin D level!   Vitamin D deficiency is related to vertigo https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27386060 Vitamin D can help with high IgE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5263170/ Low vitamin D and low ferritin are tied https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29385099 Dry eye problems including blepharitis can be helped with vitamin d and vitamin a https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles
  • Blog Entries