• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mushroom

Hives From Sublingual B12?

Rate this topic

I didn't know where else to put this so put it here. After reading the forum it seemed like a good idea to take a B12 supplement. I took a well-recognized brand of sublingual B12 that appeared to be gluten free though did not state that on the label. I purchased it from the herb centre where my naturopath practises. I added nothing else to my diet--in fact these days I am subtracting rather than adding things to my diet. :P

The next day I had broken out in hives all over my face and eyelids, something I have never done before, from anything. Well, all right, I did have some hives on my body, here and there, before going gluten free, and some general rashy itchiness, but never anything on my face. Three days later they are starting to subside, itchiness is gone. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this effect from B12? Needless to say, I haven't taken any more.

I can't say for sure, yet am pretty positive it's not from the B12, but probably from a filler in the actual vitamin. Never take a vitamin without knowing it's gluten status. Just because it looks safe, does not mean it is. Most of the good vitamin companies will now state if they are gluten free and it is worth asking--a vitamin is something you take everyday and it is very important that it be safe. I get my B12 from Lame Advertisement.com--they have Jarrow, Biochem made by Country Life, and their own brand which all state the gluten-free status. Nature Made is another good brand, some CVS products state it--just always check, if it doesn't state gluten-free, then don't buy it.

Well, one thing which seems to make dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) worse, is iodine (I'm guessing that's what you experienced). So things like kelp would probably be a really bad idea, as it is loaded with iodine. From my experience, a lot of salty foods can do it, even if the amount of iodine isn't particularly high. I'm under the impression that water retention has some impact on it, like if your skin is puffed out in those same areas.

But, if it was something in the supplement, I highly doubt it was the B12. What brand is it? If you post the UPC code, I'm sure others will be able to give some insight into the ingredients, and any possible culprits.

The one I use is from Source Naturals. It is methylcobalamin, and specifically states gluten-free, as well as being free of a number of other things. The UPC# is 021078012931.

I would agree that you need to get another, for sure gluten-free brand of sublingual. I also use Country Life, they are free of gluten, soy and dairy and state so on the label.

Not all naturopaths are as celiac savvy as we would like, mine thought a 'little bit' of soy or gluten wouldn't be a problem, they were a big problem. A week after spending $150 on his supplements, becomeiing extremely ill for a week and being told by his office I was "herxing" (excuse me but I have been gluten-free 5 years and know what being glutened feels like). I contacted the companies that make them myself, only one of the 5 was actually safe for me. This naturopath was very well respected and is nationally known, too bad he doesn't have enough knowledge about celiac to treat one safely. I went back to my local health food store and got basically the same stuff in safe forms. They call for me when needed about anything they carry.

I'm sorry, what I posted in here earlier today, didn't belong in this thread, it belonged in another thread about vitamin B12. Later when I was looking for it, I thought I had lost it, I am not sure how I posted it here, it must have seemed out of place to some of you--very sorry about that.

As I read your ingredients list for this vitamin, it does sound like it was gluten free, are you sure that you didn't get something else that bothered you and not the B12?

I even found one article that stated that sublinguals are much less expensive and that you can purchase a years supply of 1000 mcg for less than $20--I was wondering where they lived???? Then I saw the article was written in 1995!!!! I wasn't even thinking about B12 then!

Well, the price they give may be outdated, but I'm sure the sublinguals are still cheaper than shots. No doubt less painful.

Here are some places to get sublingual methylcobalamin at a decent price:

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Me...min-Vitamin-B12

http://www.webvitamins.com/product.aspx?id=13888

http://vitanetonline.com/description/SN129...ethylcobalamin/

I can't say for sure, yet am pretty positive it's not from the B12, but probably from a filler in the actual vitamin. Never take a vitamin without knowing it's gluten status. Just because it looks safe, does not mean it is. Most of the good vitamin companies will now state if they are gluten free and it is worth asking--a vitamin is something you take everyday and it is very important that it be safe. I get my B12 from Lame Advertisement.com--they have Jarrow, Biochem made by Country Life, and their own brand which all state the gluten-free status. Nature Made is another good brand, some CVS products state it--just always check, if it doesn't state gluten-free, then don't buy it.

Gee guys, thank you all for your responses. The bottle is small but I could read when I bought it that it was sugar, salt and starch free. I figured it couldn't have any gluten if it had no starch at all! The company is Solgar, made in USA, ingredients are mannitol (derived from plant sources), Vitamin B12 1000000 (as cobalamin prep), magnesium stearate, stearic acid, natural citric acid (needed my BIG magnifying glass to read that) Reading further in the smallest print they state free of corn, yeast, wheat, soy and dairy products with no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors. So what's a gal to do? Maybe I am loaded with B12 and this was all excess being excreted LOL.

Have never had DH before, don't even really know what it is. Maybe I do have it now :o This was/still is a red, slightly raised, slightly itchy, slightly hurty blotchy rash bunched on both cheeks and one eyelid/eyebrow. Nowhere else on my body.

Neroli

Well, one thing which seems to make dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) worse, is iodine (I'm guessing that's what you experienced). So things like kelp would probably be a really bad idea, as it is loaded with iodine. From my experience, a lot of salty foods can do it, even if the amount of iodine isn't particularly high. I'm under the impression that water retention has some impact on it, like if your skin is puffed out in those same areas.

But, if it was something in the supplement, I highly doubt it was the B12. What brand is it? If you post the UPC code, I'm sure others will be able to give some insight into the ingredients, and any possible culprits.

The one I use is from Source Naturals. It is methylcobalamin, and specifically states gluten-free, as well as being free of a number of other things. The UPC# is 021078012931.

Hi RiceGuy:

It doesn't actually give a UPC# that I can see although there is A number on it, perhaps a UPC??: 03229EN02OE

Neroli