Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An_Onion

Valentine's Day Dinner

I'm still really new with this gluten-free stuff. I've only eaten out once since I've had to go gluten-free, so I'm very ignorant about where I can go.

I really, really want to take my girlfiend out for dinner on Valentine's Day, to somewhere nice, but I really do not want to spend the following week sick.

Does anyone have any recommendations of nice places to eat in Dallas, TX?

If all else fails, I will just cook her dinner myself, but, well, I hope you get the idea.

Please help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not sure what places you have near you but I found outback had a gluten-free menu online you could search some of your fav places to go and see if they have one online, or can even call and talk to the manager of your favorite place and explain your situation they may be able to fix something special for you.

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

I thought I saw Ruths Chris steak house on a gluten free list too, which is even nicer than outback. If you do a web search for gluten-free restaraunts, you will find a few sites which list some by area. Also, you could try calling a few nice restaraunts (steak houses or asian - or down there, maybe upscale mexican would be a good bet) and ask if they can provide gluten-free meals. If they sound familiar with the issues, its probably a good bet.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Here are a couple of sites that may help you find a good gluten-free restaurant in your area.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

My fiance and I are going to PF Changs. I dont know if they are in Texas but they have nice food and very nice looking restaurants.

I definitely second the Ruth Chris idea also. The food is amazing.

I eat at Outback and The Melting Pot regularly. Outback has a gluten free menu, so does PF Changs (but I don't care for them as much)...and The Melting Pot staff is VERY knowledgeable about food allergies and very helpful with selecting the fondues and foods. I'm not sure if you have one in Dallas or not, but I would HIGHLY recommend them!

And for what it's worth, I've been really lucky with just getting steak and baked potatoes in most restaurants. Have fun!

Amber

Mom of twin girls Perry & Ella (11.5.05) and Luca (5.2.07)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 7.16.07

Gluten-free 7.17.07

Perry & Ella tested negative (blood test) 8/2007

Luca tested negative (blood test) 7/2009

check out this post for a gluten-free Dallas restaurant

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=43383

Valentine's Day can be a bit of a rush at many restaurants - wherever you do go, definitely call ahead and let them know you're gluten-free - how they respond to that can help you decide if it's the place to go for you!

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."