• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bisja

Enterolab Questions

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, have been reading topics here for a while and have decided that I will have tests done with Enterolabs. I have been sick for the last 3 years, but have had stomach problems all my life, gas D. on and off for seeming like no reason, heartburn, pain around the belly button area for the last 6 years, after a very bad case of stomach flu that the whole family had but I just never seemed to get rid of. In the winter of 2005 I started feeling sick no energy weak, by April 2006 found out was extremely anemic went through all testing stated was just the change of life was on strong iron med started feeling better, then Sept 2006 started feeling very ill pain in muscles heart beating very fast etc, Dec 2006 found out had mono, was flat in bed till June was up a little went to new doc as was not improving much more tests run found out had Lyme Disease, now have been on abx 18 weeks would love to say am greatly improved but not yet but still having many stomach probs actually are worse gas stomach bloated terrible, D on and off etc. When I was a baby my Mother had told me they had to take anything wheat away from me as I would break out in rashes on my face the doctor told them I must have a wheat allergy he said she will grow out of it. I have been having a itchy bumpy rash on my face on and off for a few months. They have checked certain vit levels such as D, B12, B6 they seem to be fine. I have written a question to Enterolab but have not heard anything yet from them maybe some of you know the answer Will my having Epstein Barr Virus and Lyme Disease cause any false positives or false negatives on their tests? Or the abx I am on will it change any of the testing results? The other question I have to you all is do most doctors accept this labs testing results? One of the reasons I am thinking of using this lab is I am not due to go back to my doctor for about two months and really do not want to go in to have blood testing before then as my immune system is really not good right now and the clinics are full here (northern Minnesota) with all kinds of sick people with flu viruses etc. Better I wait till the ills of winter calm down. Nice to meet everyone and please excuse me for writing such a very long post.

Jan

While I have no experience with the enterolabs and cant tell what might affect your tests - you can always go off of wheat for a few weeks and see how you feel - thats really cheap, and you dont have to get your doctor's permission to do it! Many people feel better within a few days or a week, but I was definitely still improving a month later . . well, in between eating other things that were bothering me lol. One thing I can say is, if its a true 'allergy', enterolabs wont (I think) find it, only a test from an allergist would. Also, there is a thread on lyme disease under 'other related issues' or something like that, called 'OMG-i might be on to something" - you might want to pop in there. My understanding is that Lyme can make you feel really bad for a really long time.

Good luck on feeling better soon

While I have no experience with the enterolabs and cant tell what might affect your tests - you can always go off of wheat for a few weeks and see how you feel - thats really cheap, and you dont have to get your doctor's permission to do it! Many people feel better within a few days or a week, but I was definitely still improving a month later . . well, in between eating other things that were bothering me lol. One thing I can say is, if its a true 'allergy', enterolabs wont (I think) find it, only a test from an allergist would. Also, there is a thread on lyme disease under 'other related issues' or something like that, called 'OMG-i might be on to something" - you might want to pop in there. My understanding is that Lyme can make you feel really bad for a really long time.

Good luck on feeling better soon

Yes lyme makes you feel real bad have had to deal with it for over a year now. I do have many allergies, shell fish, banannas, certain fruits, so many meds is unreal, one of the reasons I am going to try enterolabs is because I was not tested as a baby for allergy to wheat the doctor just said must be a wheat allergy, but my father, his father and from what my Uncle tells me even my great Grandfather all had very bad stomach problems, I have a cousin who has Celiac. I guess is why I figure would be good to be tested. I have backed off from gluten on and off to see what results I would see and feel. Usually with in a week gluten-free no gas no D and stools go back to normal color other wise are very light pale color , I have had gall bladder checked on and off through the years always ok had an upper GI and colonoscopy all was good except stomach a little inflamed which amazed ,me as I almost always have heartburn.

Your mileage may vary but my doctor accepted my Enterolab results. However... I would be willing to say most won't. I knew from dietary trial that gluten free was for me but I was curious about what Enterolab would say. It coincided quite nicely with my own dietary trial. Both dairy and wheat cause me problems.

I don't have a lot of faith in mainstream medicine and diagnosing or treating food intolerances so I felt perfectly fine just doing what I knew needed to be done without having some guy with a medical degree telling me stuff that was probably wrong.