• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mdmm

Indian Pakistani Food And Celiac Peoples.

Rate this topic

Hi.

I have learned that the pakistani/Indian foods have a little different constituents, and effects on celiacs than foods in north america. I hope some Indian Dietician/Nutrionist can give us details.

My Question.

I am a south asian, now living in Canada with Celiac disease since long time.

I wanna know the english/american names of , Bajra and Jawaar please.

Does any Indian brother knows how to make a smooth tender Indian style roti,bread of Bajra, Jawaar and corn flour.

Hi,

I am not Indian but prepare many Indian foods although mostly achar since we cannot buy them where I live. My spices come from Jodhpur.

Bajra (Pennisetum typhoides L.) is a type of wheat called Millet in English and dangerous for us celiacs. it's about 11% protein.

Jawar or Jawaar is Sorghum which is very good for us and should make good roti. There are many types of sorghum and I've never read about any being bad for celiacs. Soy sauce made from sorghum is good too although I can only find it in Japan.

I would try any roti recipe you can find only and perhaps with about 15% rice flour added to the jawaar.

You might want to try kadale hittu (besan or chana) too.

Good luck

Ken

Hi.

I have learned that the pakistani/Indian foods have a little different constituents, and effects on celiacs than foods in north america. I hope some Indian Dietician/Nutrionist can give us details.

My Question.

Does any Indian brother knows how to make a smooth tender Indian style roti,bread of Bajra, Jawaar and corn flour.

Hi,

I am not Indian but prepare many Indian foods although mostly achar since we cannot buy them where I live. My spices come from Jodhpur.

Bajra (Pennisetum typhoides L.) is a type of wheat called Millet in English and dangerous for us celiacs. it's about 11% protein.

Jawar or Jawaar is Sorghum which is very good for us and should make good roti. There are many types of sorghum and I've never read about any being bad for celiacs. Soy sauce made from sorghum is good too although I can only find it in Japan.

I would try any roti recipe you can find only and perhaps with about 15% rice flour added to the jawaar.

You might want to try kadale hittu (besan or chana) too.

Good luck

Ken

Hi.

My Question.

KENLOVE.

Thank you very much for reply.I will try to find out Jawaar flour.

Please give me names of some more flour for indian roti.Also code the procedure to make smooth rooti rather than hard roti after an hour.

I am already using corn and channa flour.But mostly they come pre-mixed with some wheat flour.hard to find pure one.thanks a lot.

KENLOVE.

Please give me names of some more flour for indian roti.Also code the procedure to make smooth rooti rather than hard roti after an hour.

I am already using corn and channa flour.But mostly they come pre-mixed with some wheat flour.hard to find pure one.thanks a lot.

Hi

I like to use buckwheat or soba flour which stays softer when covered before serving but it's more like a crepe and not as firm as roti.

Sometimes its hard to find pure one too. Usually health food stores are the best to find it order to order it form internet.

I want to find better combinations than I use now. Last night I made saag but missed to have some bread and did not have time to make dhosai

or some type of roti.

Also I learned in japan to use very cold water when mixing the flour.

If you can try soba or buckwheat flour please let me know how you like it

Ken

KENLOVE.

Hi

I like to use buckwheat or soba flour which stays softer when covered before serving but it's more like a crepe and not as firm as roti.

Sometimes its hard to find pure one too. Usually health food stores are the best to find it order to order it form internet.

I want to find better combinations than I use now. Last night I made saag but missed to have some bread and did not have time to make dhosai

or some type of roti.

Ken

I will appreciate your help in view of your experiences.I am Indian with Celiac diseases and diabetes type 2. Please give me a list of Indian foods that i can use here in Canada.Thanks alot

Hey Ken,

My millet is not a type of wheat. Unless there is another type of millet I'm not aware of?

Well, I went and looked up millet agaaaain, and I'm still confused.

I knew there was finger millet called Ragi and Pearl millet called bajra, but then it gets more confusing because I just read that finger millet is red and the millet I have sitting on my counter is white. No wonder that my recipes were not very tasty.

Couldn't they have given them different names? I'm still confused. :huh:

Hi,

I think vegetables are always the safest. saag and panner is ok. My favorite dish is bhindi masala, dal and chana. Aloo gobi is my wifes favorite.I dont know if the same brands are available in canada as in Hawaii. Most tasty bite prepared foods are gluten-free and it can give you an idea of what you can make yourself.

http://www.gadnet.com/recipes.htm

gives links to sites of many Indian recipes.

Good luck

ken

I will appreciate your help in view of your experiences.I am Indian with Celiac diseases and diabetes type 2. Please give me a list of Indian foods that i can use here in Canada.Thanks alot

Im also confused with millet. there are so many conflicting pages I've read. I just tend to not take a chance on it.

Im trying to search in another browser window to find the reference I used which I cant find now

but www.shrilalmahal.org/ millet.html is interesting. Even after two years i'm still really paranoid about using any grain that I'm not 100% sure of. Flax and flax seed often confuses me too.

ANyway with millet there are both red and white according to Cornel Univ. ag site.

java script:img_view('c-millet3.gif','390','390'); but even those come in colors. ( dont know if the link will worK)

I'll try to see what else I can find on it. Still early yet and ive not had enough coffee to break up the cobwebs <G>

Hey Ken,

My millet is not a type of wheat. Unless there is another type of millet I'm not aware of?

Well, I went and looked up millet agaaaain, and I'm still confused.

I knew there was finger millet called Ragi and Pearl millet called bajra, but then it gets more confusing because I just read that finger millet is red and the millet I have sitting on my counter is white. No wonder that my recipes were not very tasty.

Couldn't they have given them different names? I'm still confused. :huh:

Annnaliese Roberts' Gluten-Free Baking Classics calls for millet flour for the bread recipes, and says it's gluten-free. That doesn't solve the controversy any, though, does it?

I wouldn't be a good one to ask, as my reactions are relatively mild. Has anybody sensitive here reacted to millet? Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a separate thread asking this?

Your right it would be good to have in separate threads.

I'm still very sensitive and have reacted to millet although i'm not sure what type. Have also reacted to flax seed meal.

I have no other food allergies, just celiac-- not that i trust the doctors here but nothing has showed up. So I stay away from millet and flax seed meal.

If I get time soon, and can find my notes on the botany of millet, i'll post a new thread.

(unless you start it first <G>)

Ken

Annnaliese Roberts' Gluten-Free Baking Classics calls for millet flour for the bread recipes, and says it's gluten-free. That doesn't solve the controversy any, though, does it?

I wouldn't be a good one to ask, as my reactions are relatively mild. Has anybody sensitive here reacted to millet? Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a separate thread asking this?

This page has a lot of Indian gluten free flat bread (roti, naan) recipes:

http://www.indiacurry.com/bread/glutenfreeflatbreads.htm

chakki= wheat gluten :angry:

besan= chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour :D

channa= chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour :D

Sabudana= tapioca flour or starch (the same) :D

Makki Atta= corn flour. you can also use corn STARCH as corn flour

Jowar= Sorghum flour

Rice= rice flour

Poha= beaten rice flakes, instant rice

you should be able to find corn starch and tapioca starch in a regular grocery.

To make a flour mix that acts like a regular wheat flour, you can mix together

1/3 of corn flour or corn starch

1/3 of tapioca sabudana flour

1/3 of jowar sorghum flour or a mix of half jowar sorghum and half Channa chickpea

or you could use

1/3 of rice flour

1/3 of tapioca sabudana flour

1/3 of jowar sorghum or half sorghum, half channa chickpea

It will act more like wheat flour if you add zanthan gum to it. You add 1 teaspoon or 5 ml of zanthan gum to a cup to a cup and a half of flour. You can buy zanthan gum at a health food store. You don't have to use it, but it helps the dough stick together better.

You can also grind nut meal flours in a blender if you want to use that. If you can find coconut flour, that is also good. Rice flour, I would ask a Chinese restaurant where they buy theirs if you cannot find it easily, or try ordering gluten free flours off the internet.

You may have to add an egg or yoghurt to the batter to make the dough behave better if you don't have zanthan gum. I also will add a teaspoon of vinegar and a little oil to the dough mixture. The vinegar makes the dough behave better. You may want to add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the dough (2 ml) if you want it to rise a little.

Don't try to make anything with only tapioca flour because unless you mix it with something else it won't work. It turns into rubber. There is this mix called "cheebe" that is tapioca flour but it has a lot of egg and cheese in it.

When I make pancakes or flat breads I use a small heavy cast iron skillet. I pour the batter into the hot pan, cook it until it puffs up, and then I put the pan under the broiler in the oven and cook the top of it that way, so I don't have to flip it in the pan. The top does not take that long to cook, so always watch it carefully if you do this.

this Channa Pancake recipe also looked interesting, it has rice Poha, shredded coconut flakes, and channa (chickpea or garbanzo bean) flour.

You could use Instant Minute Rice for the Poha. It is rice that comes in a box and is pre cooked and then dried, so it only takes 5 minutes of cooking in hot water to be done.

http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/contrib3846.html

I think there is no one universal flour mix that works for everybody, because we alll have different sensitivities to different ingredients. I have not used flax meal yet because the oil bothers me, for example. I don't think buckwheat would work for me, either. Rice and tapioca are pretty basic, yet even some people here react to those. I can eat bean flour and some people find it really awful.

Sure wish we were talking about tropical fruit, thats where my expertise is. I research fruit for the university here.

Cicer arietinum is the botanical name for chick peas or garbanzos. Most of the chana is from the same plant. The difference is when the word dal is used. Dal is many different plants. Sometimes dal can refer to the way a bean is split and not just the bean itself.

Channa dal, split chickpeas (yellow)

Tur (or toor, or toovar) dal, pigeon peas (orange)

Moong dal, mung beans (cream or yellow)

Urd (or urad) dal, lentil-like beans (black or, when skinless, white)

Masoor dal, lentils (red or salmon pink)

Muth (or moth) dal, beans (brownish green with yellow interior)

Muttar (or matar) dal, peas (green or white)

Within Cicer arietinum just like with a lemon or orange, there can be many many varieties all with their own attributes and various nutritional levels but botanically they are basically the same. I'm currently working with 200 types of avocados here in Kona. the diversity is wonderful. Just wish we could ship them out of Hawaii!

Ken

Chana Dal is not really a garbanzo bean but it is related.

There are two types of chickpeas as explained here: http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

I bought an Indian book because I was so confused. I'm not sure I really am any clearer on the subject.

Hi

or some type of roti.

Ken

Thanks.What is buckwheat or soba flour ?. Is it glutean free ??

Buckwheat is gluten-free, Soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat.

Outside of Japan its hard to find the noodles that are 100% soba and those can be dangerous for us.

It has to be 100% and you have to check the label. If your in a big city and have a Japanese market you can ask for juwari soba which is 100% but most Asian sections in other large groceries dont have it.

ken

Thanks.What is buckwheat or soba flour ?. Is it glutean free ??

I am very much confused to see about Sbudana.

Is Sabudana/Sagudana(white granules like) glutean free ot not.What about Soji,which is used to make pudding/punjabi Halwaa, roti,etc.

Hi

Sabudana is the heart of sago palm. Its gluten-free and should be good for papadum, roti etc. Metroxylon sagu is the botanic name.

If you buy it, you have to be careful it is pure sabudana and mixed with atta - wheat.

ken

Is Sabudana/Sagudana(white granules like) glutean free ot not.What about Soji,which is used to make pudding/punjabi Halwaa, roti,etc.

Hi

Sabudana is the heart of sago palm. Its gluten-free and should be good for papadum, roti etc. Metroxylon sagu is the botanic name.

If you buy it, you have to be careful it is pure sabudana and mixed with atta - wheat.

ken

Hi

ken

Thanks for reply.

Have you used Sabudana/Sagudana(white granules like) and is surely glutean free .is sabudana and sagudana in india same thing???.

What about Soji,which is used to make pudding/punjabi Halwaa, roti,etc.

hellow Brothers and sisters.

I saw about OAT,where one says it is glutean free while other says it is not.What is your opinion?????