Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have suspected for a little while now that I may be celiac just got the results of my blood tests today and had to have more bloods done today and need to go for a biopsy. But I don't understand what my test results mean as I have no idea what is classed as normal. It would be great if someone could help me with this?

Cheers

Jac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Could you post them on here so the experts can take a look... ;) lol

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Usually, there are reference ranges listed in the lab reports... in ()'s - and the numbers lower than the top number is considered "normal."

If you post the numbers and the references ranges, we can help you. If there aren't reference ranges listed... it'll be pretty difficult to tell what "normal" is. (each lab has a different set of reference ranges)

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Could you post them on here so the experts can take a look... ;) lol

I'll post it as it is on the results sheet, which is gobly gook to me :huh:

Range

(<20) anti-Gliagin Ab (IgA) : 128 * units

(<20) anti-Gliadin Ab (IgG) : 52 * units

They look postive for me, normal range would of been less then 20 and you are way above normal range. What made the doctors test you for celiac? Welcome to the board and feel free to ask anything.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

They look postive for me, normal range would of been less then 20 and you are way above normal range. What made the doctors test you for celiac? Welcome to the board and feel free to ask anything.

paula

Hi Paula,

The Dr tested me because I asked to be, I have been anemic for as long as 10 years since b4 my kids. Last year my iron levels were so low that I thouht that I had CFS or B12 deficiency so I asked to be tested for these but had neg results, he put me on iron for a month then retested but my iron levels didnt alter he asked me to do the iron test again after 2 months but I'm the worst in the world to take meds and I just didn't do the test. I read an article in the local paper during celiacs week here in Oz and the symtoms described me to a T execpt for weight loss as I have doubled my weight in the last 15 years. A couple of years ago I went on a extremely low carb diet for weight loss and in a 3 month period lost 30kg without any effort and was full of energy and on top of the world, unfortunetly I started a new job and time restricted me sticking to this, but after reading the article I started to wonder if I had celiacs, as the diet would have been gluten-free and this seemed to really suit my body. I started researching and found out that the migraines, depression,rhymatoid arthritis, servere cramping, teeth breaking, unable to grow my nails and the list goes on were all probably due to malaborbsion or calcium, magnes,iron ect. So here I am in the process of being tested and finally may have an answer to all the things that I have thought were normal and just me. Sorry to ramble on but it's nice to be able to spill it all to someone who gets it.

Jac

Welcome to the Forum!! There is lots of info on here, so please ask any question.

The list for Celiac symptom/signs is sooo long! And most people don't have what is considered the "classic" symptoms. I actually just found out that weight gain can also be a symptom. When your body is not absorbing, it doesn't want to let anything go. So, if you have stubborn, unexplained weight gain, that could be Celiac. But, it sounds like you do have a lot of things pointing you in this direction, and your great response to the low carb diet is another good sign. Besides which, your blood test points to Celiac as well. Did your DR offer any explanations or instructions?

How much longer before you can begin your gluten-free diet?

This website is a great resource for getting started. There is a safe and unsafe list, which was a great help in getting me started.

Glad we can be of help to you!!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

If you are continuing on with testing, you may also want the rest of the Celiac panel run.

The more sensitive tests include the EMA IgA and tTG IgA, along with the IgA deficiency test (which you aren't if you tested positive for AGA IgA).

Here is more info on blood testing: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Hope this helps!

If you are continuing on with testing, you may also want the rest of the Celiac panel run.

The more sensitive tests include the EMA IgA and tTG IgA, along with the IgA deficiency test (which you aren't if you tested positive for AGA IgA).

Here is more info on blood testing: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Hope this helps!

Hi happygirl

I've actually had more bloods done which I'm about to head to the doctor for results this morning, but I'm not sure which ones I've had done I'll ask his about these other tests while I'm there. Thanks so much for the advice.

cheers

Jac

Please let us know what the new test tell you. Im glad you were smart to ask to be tested. I really think u are heading in the right direction with celiac.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

the normal antibody levels are between 1 and 10 anything above ten requires further investigation

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012