Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

traci

Wheat Starch

Hello all and HAPPY HOLIDAYS. I for one cannot wait for them to be over but I am a Scrooge and cannot help it. However I do wish everyone here health and good food to eat.

I tried to seach the board on Wheat Starch, turned up about a gazillion titles that had everything to do with wheat but nothing about starch.

I have always loved Asian food, and have always used stuff like rice paper wrappers for spring rolls etc. YUMMY, try it!! Recently tho I am trying to branch out. I am very keen on getting my hands on fresh rice noodle sheets, Sa Ho Fun I found some, this is the boonies we dont even have Asian Markets, I gotta go miles and miles just to see more than Soy Sauce and Chow Mein noodles.. but they have Wheat Starch in them. I seem to recall someone talking about this but I cannot find the thread. Is Wheat Starch safe? I dont honestly see how it could be but.. <_<

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hmm...from the name, I think that it would be bad :lol: , but I can't find it on the celiac.com list...hydrolized wheat starch is on it, however. I think I'd stay away from anything with wheat in the name except buckwheat.

:( NO NO NO---NO WHEAT STARCH--NEVER--NO NO NO-------nothing with wheat in it--otay---deb

I tried to seach the board on Wheat Starch, turned up about a gazillion titles that had everything to do with wheat but nothing about starch.

I was rereading your post and I just noticed that you had trouble with your search. When you search the message board (not the webpage) use the advanced usage tips. You can make sure that, for example, you only receive results that have both wheat and starch in them, or you want results that have starch in them, but don't have wheat, or whatever. If you simply type in "wheat starch" to the search, it will come back with results that contain either of the two words...if you search for "+wheat +starch", however, it will only bring back search results that contain both words. Click on advanced usage help and you'll see what I mean...just a tip for future searches. :D

although this product definitely sounds like it is NOT ok, it is possible for something to have wheat starch in it and be considered "gluten free" - in europe they do that, but i've never seen something from the states that had wheat starch in it and was gluten free and even if i did see wheat starch and gluten free on the same label here i would still call the company!

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I would avoid it--since it sounds similiar to hydrolyzed wheat protein, which is BAD.

In Europe, wheat starch is acceptable in a gluten-free food and is considered to be gluten-free. It is not in the United States. Basically, you can trust in the Europeans :D or you can play it safe.

Just confirming what celiac3270 said. Wheat starch is the wheat with the protein removed. Since the protein is what bothers us, in theory, wheat starch ought to be able to be made safe, but manufacturering processes can't get rid of every last molecule of protein, so wheat starch is just very predominantly starch.

The European CODEX standard are thought - by European doctors at least - to be safe for celiacs, but CODEX standard wheat starch generally isn't available outside of Europe, so your best bet in the US is avoiding it. (I'd stay awy from it over there, myself, but that's me!)