• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

elmuyloco5

Posts Are Oddly Delayed And Some Don't Show Up

Rate this topic

I've had this problem since I started posting. I don't know if it's because I'm new, or what. I wrote two posts today, one of which was made 4 hours ago, but never showed up....although I can reach it in my profile. The second, shows on the home page as the last post made in that forum, but doesn't show up when you open that forum. I'd appreciate your help.....maybe it's my mess up somehow.

A new post must be reviewed and "pinned" by a moderator, for content and proper placement. Frequently on the weekend the entire forum is slow. I'll check on your other posts.

Oh, ok. I thought maybe I had done something wrong while posting. The layout of this board is a little different than I'm used to. Thanks for the help!!!

Ah-hah! That answers my unasked questions! I'm new here. I looked through the first few pages of one of of the boards and thought there was an unusually high number of "Pinned" posts (compared to just about every other internet forum board I've ever visited). Then I created a new post and submitted it, then returned to the board's first page to find my post. I started going through page after page after page trying to find the end of the Pinned posts. I was a bit stunned when I realized that all 300+ pages consisted solely of Pinned posts, except for 2 non-pinned posts on the very last page!

Certainly a different format than most boards use - but I guess it makes sense now that I know what's going on.

Ah-hah! That answers my unasked questions! I'm new here. I looked through the first few pages of one of of the boards and thought there was an unusually high number of "Pinned" posts (compared to just about every other internet forum board I've ever visited). Then I created a new post and submitted it, then returned to the board's first page to find my post. I started going through page after page after page trying to find the end of the Pinned posts. I was a bit stunned when I realized that all 300+ pages consisted solely of Pinned posts, except for 2 non-pinned posts on the very last page!

Certainly a different format than most boards use - but I guess it makes sense now that I know what's going on.

Yes, on our board new posts are put at the end of the forum until they are pinned by a moderator. At that point, the post goes to the front. You can always go to "View New Posts" to see a recent post.

Pinning every approved post creates a vast resource of information.

My posts aren't posting. I have read the above message, so I know that a moderator must read them before they can be pinned to the new page. One of m posts was from the 28th, I thought it must have been a taboo question because it hasn't appeared yet. My other post was today, but several hours ago. Is there something about the way I am going about it that makes it difficult to have my posts viewed?

Thanks for the help. This site is a invaluable resource when your trying to figure out your new gluten-free lifestyle.

okgrace,

Sometimes we mess up and miss things. Your topic from the 28th is one of them. I have now pinned it in the parents area, since I am assuming that your intent relates to the foods as pertaining to children's digestion.

The other one, today's about eating at a friend's house, has been pinned in the Coping With section, since it is applicable to everyone, not just parents of celiac children.

We have a number of active moderators here, but we still manage to miss things from time to time.

I've had this problem since I started posting. I don't know if it's because I'm new, or what. I wrote two posts today, one of which was made 4 hours ago, but never showed up....although I can reach it in my profile. The second, shows on the home page as the last post made in that forum, but doesn't show up when you open that forum. I'd appreciate your help.....maybe it's my mess up somehow.

I tried to post three items yesterday and none of them have shown up. I read this before I posted a quite lengthy response, so I copied it to a Word document before I hit "Add Reply." Can this be fixed soon. I'm new and enjoy this site very much, so I would like to participate in some of the forums.

Thank you for your attention to this problem.

Beagle,

I checked all ten posts of yours, and they are all showing up in threads that are already pinned. If you click on your name, you can view all your posts and topics. Let us know if there are other things missing. I went through the board and did not find any unpinned topics of yours.

I also tried to post a topic in the Pre-diagnosis board, and it hasn't been pinned (first attempt was about a week ago, second attempt a few days ago). Is it a missed post, or did I do something wrong? (It was a question about endoscopy & colonoscopy results).

Thanks!

One of yours is now pinned, and I am setting the other one to invisible. We don't allow duplicate posts. I didn't want you to think it disappeared. :)

A lot of posts just seem to dissapear ...?

Just accept it as part of this forum I guess ...A sometimes post replies that just dissapear into the ether (this one might) ??? but its a commericial venture ... I guess the owner decides what is allowed and what is not. (and the "rules are basically only applied as and when)

The most frustrating are the ones you research and reply and then just dissapear like you never replied... so I rarely do that anymore since so much censorship goes on, no point posting references and links if they just get deleted.

See now I posted this and took a screen shot but lets bet it disapears in the next hour or so ... I'll post the screenshot elsewhere :D

We do delete spam posts on a daily basis--please see the board's rules if you're not sure about what is ok and what is not ok.

Take care,

Scott

I'm sorry but I am a bit frustrated by this. Like a lot of others who visit this forum, I am completely alone with this disease. I have no family or friends that I can talk to and this forum is all I have right now. It is so frustrating when I post a question and have to sit and wait (hitting refresh over and over) waiting for my post to appear so I might be able to get some help. Isn't there some way to get the posts on quicker?

I know that the current mods can't be online 24 hours a day but maybe more mods can be added so that the process could be a little quicker. I noticed that each forum has about 20 mods and they all seem to be the same ones for each section. That doesn't seem like near enough considering the size of this forum and the number of posts. I know nothing about actually running a forum but I have visited many of them and it seems like most other forums have a lot higher mod/member ratio. These are also forums that do not review posts before they appear (they only delete inappropriate ones as needed). I have been a mod on a forum in the past and we relied on other members to report any post that needed to be reviewed. This method seemed to work well. We didn't have any complaints about this method and our members were happy that their posts were on the board immediately. Any problem posts (there were very few) were reported within seconds of the post and were removed right away. Just a thought.

I am not trying to be a complainer here but right now I feel very alone. Everyday I am on the phone with yet another Drs. office that just tells me to wait. I am just so tired of waiting for help. Even a couple of hours seems like an eternity when you have suffered for this long.

The posts, even when not pinned, can be seen by clicking on "view new posts" or "today's activity." You can also always find you own posts, pinned or not, by clicking on you (or any other members profile) and clicking on view posts/view topics.

Many posts get responses this way, even before they are pinned.

If you would like to pitch in and help moderate feel free to volunteer--we need all the help we can get. By the way we do get plenty of bad posts on a daily basis--most of it spam. If we auto-pin posts it will only encourage more spammers to come here. Our system makes them give up pretty quickly...

Take care,

Scott

The posts, even when not pinned, can be seen by clicking on "view new posts" or "today's activity." You can also always find you own posts, pinned or not, by clicking on you (or any other members profile) and clicking on view posts/view topics.

Many posts get responses this way, even before they are pinned.

Clicking on "view new posts" is definitely the easiest way to read the board (and all of the posts - whether or not they are pinned). It took me a while to figure that out when I first joined.

Clicking on "view new posts" is definitely the easiest way to read the board (and all of the posts - whether or not they are pinned). It took me a while to figure that out when I first joined.

I agree, Mango--I've always done it that way, even before I became a moderator and had to.

happygirl, Mango04, and jerseyangel,

Yes, I did finally learn about the "new posts" feature but it took me a few weeks. I just wonder how many others have not found it yet. I think this tread is where I learned about it so maybe others will read this and learn about it too.

Scott,

I would be happy to help out in any way that I can. This web site and forum have helped me so much in just a few short weeks so I will do what ever I can to help others who are suffering like I have been. Right now I don't feel like I have enough knowledge to give much advice to others but I would be happy to help with sorting posts and deleting spam if you ever need me to. I am spending a lot of time here and learning all I can about celiac because very little is known here in my small town. I am hoping to some day get a support group going in my area. I noticed that the few gluten-free items offered at my local grocery store were almost sold out so I'm sure there are others in this area that also have problems with gluten. I think this site is wonderful and helping so many ppl so if there is anything I can ever do to help out, please let me know.

To all:

I just reread my previous post and I would like to apologize if I sounded critical of this site. That was not my intention. I love this site and I think all of the mods are doing a great job. I was having a really bad day when I typed that. I was really frustrated with my Drs and I didn't mean to take it out here. I hope everyone can forgive me. :(

I'm really confused!!! I posted a question on the 'coping' thread a few days ago (Wed. or Thursday, I think). It never showed up in the actual thread but did show up on the thread topic section and it was listed in my posts. And it is not there now? I can't imagine that I said anything that would be offensive to anyone and merely asked a question. I came to the section and learned about the 'view new posts' and my question is not there either.

Can someone please explain why?

I'm really confused!!! I posted a question on the 'coping' thread a few days ago (Wed. or Thursday, I think). It never showed up in the actual thread but did show up on the thread topic section and it was listed in my posts. And it is not there now? I can't imagine that I said anything that would be offensive to anyone and merely asked a question. I came to the section and learned about the 'view new posts' and my question is not there either.

Can someone please explain why?

Was it this thread?--

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=46285

I found it in the "Coping" forum.

This topic would only show up on "View New Posts" if you specified posts for the week.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=46556&hl= this post was moved to a different area by moderators.

If its not one of these, please let us know what the topic title was.

That was the thread but it would be nice to know where it has been moved to. And why? It would be appreciated if when the mods feel that something is more appropriate under another topic title and move your thread that they at least p.m. you so you know where to look for the answers.

I'm not being critical and I love this board and appreciate everything you people do. I'm not sure how I would have survived these past 5 months without you people. It's just frustrating to ask a question and not know where to look for your answer. And since I was unaware that threads are moved, I had no idea where to search for it.

Thanks for your help.

10 minutes later...I finally found it, but again, I have to tell you that I never would have found it without your help because I don't visit that particular thread topic. Lesson learned.

You can always find all of your own posts or topics, regardless of where they were posted and/or moved to, by clicking on your name and looking through your posts/topics. When you click on a topic, it will say where it is and what the title of the thread is. Hope that helps.