Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flower

Green Barley

I have been taking green barley to help with constipation and because it is so good for the immune system. Green barley is young barley before it has matured to the tan-colored grain. Does anyone know if gluten is present in barley in the young, green state, or does the gluten develop in the final stages? I have serious absorbtion problems and many symptoms of celiac, but have no health insurance to get an accurate diagnosis. Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:( flower---i have never heard of green barley, but if you think you are gluten intolerant, then i would definitely stay away from barlen in any form--barley doesnt make me physically ill, but will still cause problems with the villi--not everything will give everyone a reaction, just as some do eat oats and dont think they react to them--i would never eat oats only because of the damage they could be causing--i say-- :( no barley----deb

Hi Flower,

I wanted to try green barley too so I contacted one company and they did not recommend their barley drink due to gluten.

May I suggest an aloe vera drink to help your intestinal tract become less inflammed, Lily of the Valley Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice. It is approximately $8.00 and comes in a one quart size. This product is usually available in most health food stores.

A quality Bovine Colostrum is known for healing leaky gut. But the best solution for healing the intestinal wall is staying away from gluten.

To aid in regularity, instead of the green barley try taking 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed a day (one in the a.m., one in the p.m.) Not only does this really help reduce constipation problems, but it will also give you 2400 mgs of omega-3 (among other good things.) Oh, and it tastes really good, too. :D