Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Favorite gluten-free Baby Products

Hello! I'm getting ready to have my first baby and would like to use gluten-free baby products. What are some good brands that are out there? I've read some Burt's Bee's stuff is gluten-free, what about California Baby? I'm trying to think of products that are easily available at Whole Foods or Target. Thanks for any suggestions!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

California Baby's products state gluten free right on the label if they're gluten free. That's all I use in the way of personal care products on my baby. I also know that some of the A.R.B.ONNE baby stuff is gluten free, but I'm not sure which products.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Be careful with baby cereals - I would not use Gerber Rice cereal or Gerber Organic Rice Cereal, for instance. Too much CC risk. My youngest son used to reject and/or vomit these cereals prior to us finding out that he had gluten issues. We thought he might have a rice allergy - but after several months gluten free he was able to reintroduce gluten-free rice products without a problem. Someone posted here recently about a type of infant rice cereal that is not CC, but I think it's a brand sold at health food stores.

I think most infant fruits/veggies and of course fresh would be fine. Some types of baby yogurt might be okay.

For older babies, I rather like the Kinnikinnick animal crackers. Another finger food - Crispy Brown Rice by Erewhon - again not something you can find at Target.

Be aware that food proteins do pass through breastmilk - my oldest was sensitized to peanut this way (he has peanut allergy) and my youngest was sensitized to gluten this way. Both had rashes, etc., when they were exclusively breastfed.

Best wishes! Babies are so cool.

Thanks for the product tips. I'm really struggling with when to introduce gluten. Both my husband and I are celiac/gluten intolerant and we know the babies genetic make up will make him highly likely to develop celiac at some point. I wish there was a manual for this stuff but there just hasn't been enough research yet.

Congratulations!! Babies ARE too cool!

Just wanted to issue a beware... Burt's Bees either has been or is going to be purchased by Proctor and Gamble. So, keep your eyes open for any label changes. One of our health food stores has stopped carrying them, which is not cool since they are a local co for us here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I think that is due more to an issue with them not liking P&G rather than any immediate changes in Burt's Bees. I haven't stopped using them, as I have yet to see any changes, but I do keep a watch.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

I just read that a few weeks ago about Burt's Bee's. A bummer I agree! I just switched all of my lip balm to Badger Balm and I think they have a whole line of products including a few baby things like diaper rash ointment.

California Baby's products state gluten free right on the label if they're gluten free. That's all I use in the way of personal care products on my baby. I also know that some of the A.R.B.ONNE baby stuff is gluten free, but I'm not sure which products.

The only A.R.B.ONNE stuff that is gluten free is their diaper rash cream and their baby oil, everything else contains a gluten ingredient. California Baby is greeat!! I also use "Earth Mama, Angel Baby" because is smells amazing and is so wonderful to use. The soap is a nice foam with a pump dispenser! Love it on my new little babe!

Lisa

4.5 year old son d/x 12/07, son also d/x Crohns. husband dx 12/07

For older babies, I rather like the Kinnikinnick animal crackers. Another finger food - Crispy Brown Rice by Erewhon - again not something you can find at Target.

Another AWESOME older baby treat - Baby Mum Mum. It's a lightly sweetened gluten-free rice crackery thing that melts in the mouth & perfect for teething/first foods. My son used to love em. I think you can also mix them with breast milk or formula to make a sort of rice cereal mush.

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.