Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivergirl

Beware Of The Candy Heart

I am experiencing my first Valentine's day after being diagnoses nealy 6 months ago, so I learn some things the hard way. A couple weeks ago, I treated myself to a Valentine's day mix of candy. I filled the candy dishes and nibbled on a few of my favorits. Those Candy Hearts with those cute little sayings are truly one of my favorites. Not more than three hours after my last nibble, I found myself rushing to the bathroom. I went back to the store and did a careful label read and to my surprise those Candy Hearts contain wheat.

Are there other holiday candies that have gluten - jelly beans? gummy bears? jelly hearts? heart shaped gum drops?

I am hopeful a few of them are safe so I can refill the candy dishes... Thanks for your insight/

RiverGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe it depends on the maker. This is from the http://www.necco.com/FAQs/Default.asp site

which makes sweethearts.

Which Necco products are Gluten Free?

We make the following products which do not contain gluten from wheat, rye, oats or barley: Necco Wafers, Mary Janes, Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses, Sweethearts Conversation Hearts (Valentines only), Canada Mint & Wintergreen Lozenges, Haviland Thin Mints and Candy Stix

In addition, Clark Bars, Skybars, Haviland Peppermint & Wintergreen Patties, Necco Candy Eggs (Easter), Talking Pumpkins (Halloween), Squirrel Nut Caramels and Squirrel Nut Zippers, Banana Split and Mint Julep Chews, ULTRAMINTS are also gluten free.

What kind did you have?

ken

I am experiencing my first Valentine's day after being diagnoses nealy 6 months ago, so I learn some things the hard way. A couple weeks ago, I treated myself to a Valentine's day mix of candy. I filled the candy dishes and nibbled on a few of my favorits. Those Candy Hearts with those cute little sayings are truly one of my favorites. Not more than three hours after my last nibble, I found myself rushing to the bathroom. I went back to the store and did a careful label read and to my surprise those Candy Hearts contain wheat.

Are there other holiday candies that have gluten - jelly beans? gummy bears? jelly hearts? heart shaped gum drops?

I am hopeful a few of them are safe so I can refill the candy dishes... Thanks for your insight/

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

ohh im sorry! i'm pretty sure the Necco candy hearts are gluten free!

Which Necco products are Gluten Free?

We make the following products which do not contain gluten from wheat, rye, oats or barley: Necco Wafers, Mary Janes, Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses, Sweethearts Conversation Hearts (Valentines only), Canada Mint & Wintergreen Lozenges, Haviland Thin Mints and Candy Stix

In addition, Clark Bars, Skybars, Haviland Peppermint & Wintergreen Patties, Necco Candy Eggs (Easter), Talking Pumpkins (Halloween), Squirrel Nut Caramels and Squirrel Nut Zippers, Banana Split and Mint Julep Chews, ULTRAMINTS are also gluten free.

thats from their website! goodluck!

Gret minds think alike <G>

hahaha sorry didn't realize you already posted that same exact information!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

yep Necco ones are safe, those are the only ones I ever see in the stores, which company makes the other type so I can be on the look-out?

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I picked up some Reese's PB hearts, in a bag, recently. Only after I got home did I realize they had wheat in them (whereas the regular PB cups do not have wheat).

A good reminder for me to always read labels.

Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way. I never ever buy any food product without reading the ingredients first. Even at home, I reread the ingredients often. I just don't trust my memory enough. I almost bought some Bush's chili beans the other day before I noticed they contained wheat flour. Of course I had previously discovered that, but didn't remember.

It's hard having Celiac. B)

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way. I never ever buy any food product without reading the ingredients first. Even at home, I reread the ingredients often. I just don't trust my memory enough. I almost bought some Bush's chili beans the other day before I noticed they contained wheat flour. Of course I had previously discovered that, but didn't remember.

It's hard having Celiac. B)

best regards, lm

I understand where you are coming from Larry, sometimes I will read a label at the store and think it is fine....and get home to find it to say barley or wheat.....I have been doing this for years and I still miss things. Its one of those you learn something new every day deals :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I picked up some Reese's PB hearts, in a bag, recently. Only after I got home did I realize they had wheat in them (whereas the regular PB cups do not have wheat).

Do you remember what the ingredient was? I just bought a 6 pack of reese's peanut butter hearts and it didn't have anything I recognized as wheat.

It had the following:

peanuts, sugar, dextrose, vegetable oil(cocoa butter, palm, shea, sunflower and/or safflower oil), chocolate, nonfat milk contains 2% or less of milk fat, lactose (milk) salt, whey, (milk) partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (palm kernel and palm oil) corn syrup, soy lecithin, cornstarch, glycerin, TBHQ (perservative) PGPR, emulsifier, vanillin, artifical flavor

We checked the website and it sounded good. I'm fairly new at this and am still trying to make sure I understand which word I can't pronounce is a wheat product. I compared all to the list of no nos and good to go list I found here and thought everything was fine.

HELP!

It's the only thing my son loves and I got a lot OF IT!!!

Thanks

Stacie

We buy Necco candy hearts because they are gluten-free and have eaten them regularly this season with no problems.

Brachs who also makes them will not guarantee the gluten-free status of any of their products.

Do you remember what the ingredient was? I just bought a 6 pack of reese's peanut butter hearts and it didn't have anything I recognized as wheat.

It had the following:

peanuts, sugar, dextrose, vegetable oil(cocoa butter, palm, shea, sunflower and/or safflower oil), chocolate, nonfat milk contains 2% or less of milk fat, lactose (milk) salt, whey, (milk) partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (palm kernel and palm oil) corn syrup, soy lecithin, cornstarch, glycerin, TBHQ (perservative) PGPR, emulsifier, vanillin, artifical flavor

We checked the website and it sounded good. I'm fairly new at this and am still trying to make sure I understand which word I can't pronounce is a wheat product. I compared all to the list of no nos and good to go list I found here and thought everything was fine.

HELP!

It's the only thing my son loves and I got a lot OF IT!!!

Thanks

Stacie

Stacie: It was a bag of small hearts. And "wheat" was clearly listed (not hidden). The allergen statement said wheat on my bag. Yours looks fine and is what I am used to seeing....I would eat those. No worries!

Thank GOD!!! I'm pretty adept now at ruling out the obvious wheat but those gluten cover up names are still not second nature yet.

Thanks

Stacie

I'm glad I put back the bag of little hearts because I didn't want him to eat that much :D

why does Reese haveeee to do this!? (i.e., put wheat in product when obviously they don't need to as they make it wheat free too) :o:(

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I went back to the store last night where I read the label on the Candy Hearts. The company is Mayfair. They do not list wheat as ingredients but they do clearly state that the candy is made in a facility that manufactures products containing wheat. Mayfair does not have a website that I could find, but I did find a list of other candy it produces which is quite extensive, so I can see where cross contamination must be an issue.

RiverGirl

why does Reese haveeee to do this!? (i.e., put wheat in product when obviously they don't need to as they make it wheat free too) :o:(

Isn't there another instance of one of the "mini" ones not being safe? I think I remember hearing that a year or two ago. Like a special/holiday one....snickers, maybe? Does that ring a bell?

Its frustrating!