• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Glutenfreefamily

Please Say Prayers Or Send Good Thoughts For My Dad

Rate this topic

He went in Wednesday for a knee replacement. A surgery that was suppose to be easy and he would have been out in a few days. When they went in there the work was much more extensive as his ligaments had grown together due to him limping from knee pain for over 30 years. They had to be split. He ended up needing a blood transfusion due to loss of blood (2 pints) which he wanted to donate prior to the surgery but his dr said it wasnt needed as it was rare he would need a transfusion. Then Friday night he had a heart attack due to they believe lack of blood flow to his heart as he was seeing spots and dizzy before they noticed anything and he had been off his heart meds due to surgery for a week. He has had a stent put it in five years ago due to partial blockage. Tomorrow he has to have a heart catheter tomorrow morning and possibly stent replacement, another stent, angio or the possibility of a bypass surgery if there is too much of a blockage to treat the other ways.

As you can imagine I have been upset for days and our family is very upset regarding this, please say prayers for my dad I would appreciate it immensely.

Thank you!

Your family will be in my thoughts. I hope he recovers soon.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Prayers and hugs heading your way. I hope this resolves quickly.

I have said a prayer and will continue to pray for your father, you and your family.

Thank you very much for all the good thoughts and prayers sent :)

My dad did not have a heart catheter done today. He woke up this morning with a 101 fever and a very swollen hot leg. They did a doppler on him and they found he has developed a blood clot in his leg he had the replacement on. They put him, I believe, on heparin tonight. My mom couldnt recall the name of the medicine they put in his iv but Im sure that's what it was. He will be in there till at least tomorrow if not longer for the blood clot. The catheter has been put on the back burner for now. He can hardly stand being in there as tomorrow will be a week. He isnt handling it well at all and it took all my effort to calm him down today as he was ready to leave the hospital :( He isnt feeling well, problems all around, new roomates everyday (one was a mental patient strapped down because they had no room for him that night on the appropriate floor and he was kicking the bed all night long and screaming) and he has changed floors three times. He regrets this surgery so much now as it was an elective and we had no idea it would turn out like this.

Please keep the prayers coming to get through this.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how he was doing. I hope you all don't beat yourselves up about the decision to do the surgery, it sounds like he was suffering from the knee issue for a long time. We have no way of knowing that things like this are going to happen. I am continueing my prayers of course and hope he is able to come home soon.

I'm sorry he's having these continuing problems :( The poor thing--I hope he resonds quickly and is able to go home soon--he'll be able to get more rest and calm there. :)

They did a cat scan on him and found another blood clot. It is in his lung and lodged in an artery. They believe it broke off the one in his leg and traveled. Thankfully it didnt go to his heart or put him in respiratory arrest and he has no symptoms with it. They put him on lovenox to take along with his coumadin last night so he can do the shots at home too. They also did a sleep apnea test on him because the nurse heard him snoring and noticed he seemed to stop breathing at times so if the test comes out he does he will get a full sleep study when he gets out. He should get out of the hospital tomorrow since the lovenox will take care of the blood clots. He also has had to stop therapy due to the blood clots so its delaying his recovery from it but once they resolve he can start it up again. His dr put him on sick leave till late August.

This has been such a long ordeal, I cant wait till he gets home and is back on the mend.

I will pray for your dad also. I hope everything turns out well, and he really gets to go home tomorrow.

((hugs)) and prayers for your dad and family as well.

My step father had elective knee replacement surgery last year. He has had a long, hard recovery too.

Thank you :) Today he is really tired and cold but staying stable for now. He hasnt heard word yet on the sleep apnea test results. He has asperger's a bit I believe so this constant roommates and nurses and drs always around him is driving him nuts. I hope he gets to go home tomorrow too, when I talked to him a few hours ago he said he is not even thinking about it since they keep telling him different days he will go home and keep changing it.

Cheri- Im sorry your stepfather had a hard time too.

Today he was in better spirits :) He doesnt get to come home yet unfortunately. His coumadin level is not as high as they want it even though he has been on it for over a week. They want it a therapeutic rate and not too high or low. They also said he is still showing as iron deficient anemic even though he has been on iron pills this whole time and I believe even before his surgery.

He is in his own room :D I guess the complaining paid off!

He is home :D :D :D :D :D!!! He is doing good. He is on coumadin and lovenox for the clots and has to go back every day for blood tests for the next week to check on his coumadin levels but he was able to come home and rest and sleep in his own bed. He has therapy on Wednesday starting up again. What a whirlwind!

Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts I truly believe its what got him through!

He is home :D :D :D :D :D!!! He is doing good. He is on coumadin and lovenox for the clots and has to go back every day for blood tests for the next week to check on his coumadin levels but he was able to come home and rest and sleep in his own bed. He has therapy on Wednesday starting up again. What a whirlwind!

Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts I truly believe its what got him through!

:D:D:D Thank you so much for the good news. I am glad everything is looking up and he is home.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I was on Coumadin for a little over 2 years due to a pulmonary embolism. It can be a real pain the butt until you get your INR regulated, but hopefully he won't have too hard a time with that. A consistent diet is key, as well as taking the Coumadin at the same time every day. Poor guy, that really sucks. :(

Did they tell him how long he can expect to be on it??

Jennifer thanks :)

Im so sorry you had an embolism how scary! His level is still off a bit and they are just testing it every day still. They told him so far till the end of August and we will see from there. What diet do they recommend? My dad is still very iron deficient even with his iron pills and they told him lots of steaks to help it. It doesnt sound very healthy to me. What diet did they have you on? They just told him lots of steaks and no greens at all.