Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryebaby0

Coffee Cake

My DH has gone gluten-free (IgG positive, tTg borderline) and is doing well, but I wanted to try my hand at his favorite gluten food -- coffeecake. So far, none of the recipes have been moist enough (or they are tooo dense) or have enough actual flavor. If any of you have a favorite recipe, I'd surely appreciate it. An egg-free recipe would be a bonus, but not a necessity.... I don't like the bean flour mixes, they have a funny aftertaste but I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Our son has been gluten-free almost a year, and today we feasted on cherry pie and chicken pot pie (I was just in a piecrust mood, I guess). My boy pats his dad and says "see, it just isn't as bad as you imagine it will be, once you get the hang of it. Wait till she makes brownies again"

Thanks!

Joanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What's your recipe for coffee cake? Maybe we can all tweek it online. I have not tried making a cake yet on my own without a recipe, but I made my grandmother's cookies gluten-free along with a cheesecake and had a good response at Christmas. I have found that Ann Brown here in the Dallas Fort Worth area makes the best flour blend. To make her blend she uses 6 cups rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, and 1 cup Tapioca Starch. I use Authentic Foods rice flours because they are superfine.....thus no gritty taste. I would compare your recipe to other gluten-free coffee cake recipes and give it your best shot. I have been very pleased with this flour mix. It's not nutritious, but sometimes, that just is not the goal! Taste is! Let us know the recipe and see if we can help.

Here I am! (long story involving a house full of sick people....)

I used a Pamela's pastry mix, and then tried a coffee cake from Bette Hagman's original book. Both were kind of grainy and dry, but I thought maybe it was the egg substitute, so I tried again with tofu (which often works well as an egg sub) and it was like lead. So now I am actually looking for a from-scratch recipe that someone else has used with success. D'ya think I'd have any luck with a traditional recipe and just sub Bob's Red Mill baking blend? I haven't tried that yet but it was so expensive I hate to have another elegant pile to feed the dog! I want a nice taste-full streusal on top, too.....

Thanks again. It it our 1-yr. gluten-free anniversary and I am boldly going out into the experimental cooking phase of gluten-free life!

joanna

I understand the thing about long story of sick people....We are all recovering ourselves from colds and fevers.

More power to ya on your gluten-free cooking experience! I have never used Bob's blend. I have always made my own. But I do not think his flours are superfine ground which is what makes things gritty.

I have made cookies, pound cake, biscuits, and other stuff with the flour mix I told you about and the superfine texture of the Authentic flours, has kept things from being gritty. It is lift that you are looking for, that is where guar gum, xanthum gum, yeast and baking power and baking soda come in. That is the hardest part about gluten-free cooking. I have not made a coffee cake, mainly b/c I have not had the need or desire for one yet, but I bet if you ask nicely the two chefs from www.foodphilosopher.com, one of whom posts on this site and is Celiac, might be able to actually give you a recipe. I have communicated with her on several occasions and have made her chocolate peanut butter balls that were a hit at Christmas with all my family......of which, I am the only gluten-free person. So I figured I was doing pretty good. Ask them and see. I have another source that might be able to give us a tried and true recipe..... let me see if she has something written down where I can post it. Good luck. Let me know what you come up with.

P.S. Congratulations on gluten-free for a year. I mark my first year anniversary this month too!