This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sharing A Heart-warming Story.

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Last night I received a phone call from one of the mom's from my daughter's Kindergarten class. Her daughter's birthday is Friday and she wanted to make sure that whatever was brought in, as a treat, would be safe for my little girl.

I had emailed her a few days ago to let her know that if her daughter wanted cookies, brownies, cupcakes... whatever, she could let me know, and I'd provide a safe substitution for my daughter.

However, her daughter informed her that she doesn't want my daughter to have to have a substitute. So, when her mother called last night, it was to go through a list of possibilities (for other treats) to see what my daughter COULD have, that would not require me to make something different for her.

I thanked her and told her that it was unnecessary to go to any trouble on our account. She told me that when she asked her daughter, inititally, what she wanted to bring for a birthday treat, her automatic reply was, "I want to bring something that Brenna can eat, so it can't have any wheat or peanuts." (This is a kindergartner!!!!)

I was SO touched!

So the mom and I talked for a while... and with her daughter, it was decided that they'd bring fruit cups as a birthday treat.

How terribly SWEET is that??????

All too often we run into people who really don't want to be "inconvenienced" by our special needs, and far too often, I think, we take for granted that there really are people out there who Can and WILL help!!!!

I just wanted to share, because I'm still quite touched by such a sweet gesture!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Ah, I got a little teary on that one. :) Out of the mouths of babes. Too bad we can capture that kindness forever.

jerseyangel Proficient

That was so nice :D I just love stories like that.

home-based-mom Contributor

What a great story! Sometimes kids can just melt your heart! :)

It kind of makes you wonder why, if a kid in kindergarten can get it, and my husband's 90-year-old aunt can get it (she gave me her mother's rice stuffing recipe so I can stuff my next turkey) WHY CAN'T THE MEDICAL AND RESTAURANT PROFESSIONALS GET IT! :ph34r:

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Oh my! How sweet is that?! Oh and I love your daughter's name!

kbtoyssni Contributor

Aw, that's adorable! All the troublesome families I read about on this board could learn something from this kid.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

My son was just diagnosed in Dec. (this is my first post), and we have had a similar experience. One of his classmates has had a pizza party at school for his birthday every year since kindergarten (the boys are in 3rd grade now). His b-day isn't until May, but when his Mom found out about our son she immediately set out to find a different idea for the pizza party. I told her I would bring a gluten-free pizza and she said absolutely not. She has also started working on her son's regular party and has gone to great lengths to plan everything gluten-free. For Valentine's Day she checked all the labels of candy she bought for the class party and then emailed me a list of what she had bought and the ingredients in each item as a double check. No matter how many times I tell her she doesn't have to do all this she refuses to do it any differently. She says being a kid is hard enough and no one wants to be singled out.

We also had an amazing Christmas surprise. My son decided to go gluten-free the week before Christmas (as soon as he was diagnosed) instead of waiting until after Christmas like his doctor suggested (just for convenience - it was just one more week after 8 years, so he said to just wait). My son (8 years old) insisted on starting as soon as we knew. On Christmas Eve a gentleman showed up at our door with a plate of cookies. He had had my son in a golf camp two years ago and said he had a treat for our son. I was very confused and in my fragile emotional state from just starting to deal with Celiac I was very sad as I took the plate. The man broke into a huge smile and said, "They're all gluten free." I was stunned, shocked, overwhelmed, you name it. He went on to explain that his wife was the woman from the support group I had called to get added to the mail list. He left me standing on my front steps in tears (of happiness this time!). My son loved the cookies. They looked just like wheat Christmas cookies - frosted shapes, peanut butter blossoms, etc. It was the best Christmas present I have ever received. That night we went to a family gathering and my son took his cookies. So while all the other kids ate cookies he wasn't left out at all. At one of our lowest and scariest times an almost stranger swooped down like an angel and made life a lot better!

So there are some amazing people out there and I think we all have to work to be one of them! I also think this is probably too long of a first post, so I'll end abruptly!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Thanks for posting that story, Jayhawkmom. One experience like that can make up for 100 other experiences of kids being wretched to our kids about their dietary restrictions.

My son's boy scout group has been like an answer to a prayer. They always make sure the treats are safe, and even go so far as to make sure all the food at the Blue and Gold dinner is safe for my son. You should have seen his face the first time we went in to one of those dinners. He asked me what he could eat, and I said "everything." I thought the little guy was going to cry he was so happy. :)

Cheri A Contributor

Wow, those stories are so touching! :)

I'll add one too. My daughter came home with valentines with tons of candy that she couldn't eat (see my siggy for all of the allergies). One friend, who also has allergies, bought her candy that she could have. Everyone else got something else. She was thrilled that they thought specifically of her. We, also, sent candy that everyone could have.

Archived