Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenn928

Ken's Steakhouse Buttermilk Ranch Dressing - Really Gluten Free?

I was recently dx with celiac disease and I am trying to understand it all. I have read that Kens steakhouse buttermilk ranch dressing both reg. and lite versions are gluten free. I have also been learning about the hidden additives etc.

My question is, is it really gluten free, there are ingredients like maltodextrin, and monosodium glutamate and modified corn starch.

why is maltodextrin bad for you and if its in it why does the co say its gluten free? Can you tell I love my ranch!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jenn

Jenn

Howell, MI

Newly Dx: Dec-07...still learning! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maltodextrin is a term that is often confused by Celiacs. It is gluten free (from corn, and has nothing to do with malt). If it did have wheat, it would say Maltodextrin-wheat.

Modified corn starch is safe.

MSG is safe for Celiacs. It does not contain gluten. If it was derived from wheat, it would be required to say "MSG-wheat."

We use Ken's BM Ranch Dressing----it is safe for Celiacs.

Here is an unsafe list of foods: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Here is a safe list: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

Here is a list of companies that will clearly disclose all gluten, so if you don't see wheat, rye, barley/malt, or oats, then its not there or hidden. http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

Hope this info is useful. It may help to print these off and take them with you to the grocery store.

I was recently dx with celiac disease and I am trying to understand it all. I have read that Kens steakhouse buttermilk ranch dressing both reg. and lite versions are gluten free. I have also been learning about the hidden additives etc.

My question is, is it really gluten free, there are ingredients like maltodextrin, and monosodium glutamate and modified corn starch.

why is maltodextrin bad for you and if its in it why does the co say its gluten free? Can you tell I love my ranch!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jenn

By law if wheat is an ingredient it must be listed. That also means that barley, malt or rye are not required to be listed.

Maltodextrin in the US is derived from corn and it is gluten free.

MSG, although it may not be good for you, it is gluten free.

Modified Corn Starch is also gluten free as the starch is derived from corn.

It does take a while to learn all the tricks about hidden gluten.

I have had Ken's but I don't recall which one.

I believe that Hidden Valley Original Ranch is gluten free. I posted regarding this a short while ago. You can do a search here.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I actually used that on my salad during lunch yesterday and had no reaction... so I'll confirm it as gluten-free ;)

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne