Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kkoenig

Newbie: Biopsy Done/now Doing Bloodwork

I had an endoscopy done last week and the GI doctor now wants me to do bloodwork to see if I have Celiac.

Everything I have read said that most have bloodwork done first and then a biopsy to confirm... since I am doing this backwards, wouldn't you think that the biopsy would tell the doctor if I have it? Do you think he is doing the bloodwork just to make sure?

I dont' see him for another 2 weeks and of course, this is all I can think about... it is kinda scary and would like other people's opinion who know what is going on.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had an endoscopy done last week and the GI doctor now wants me to do bloodwork to see if I have Celiac.

Everything I have read said that most have bloodwork done first and then a biopsy to confirm... since I am doing this backwards, wouldn't you think that the biopsy would tell the doctor if I have it? Do you think he is doing the bloodwork just to make sure?

I dont' see him for another 2 weeks and of course, this is all I can think about... it is kinda scary and would like other people's opinion who know what is going on.

Thanks!

Welcome

It does make sense that you doctor has ordered the blood panel. Many times biopsies can be hit and miss. The small intestines are lengthy and it would be easy to overlook effected areas.

This is the Blood Panel that you doctor should order:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

While you wait, take a walk around this site and learn about the diet. Even if you do not have Celiac, but rather a sensitivity, the gluten free diet is also the way to go.

It is scary, but that's why we are here to help if we can.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien