Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jf.houde

Help, Is My Girlfriend Having Celiac Disease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Many celiacs have diarrhea, but many also have constipation. The symptoms that doctors most often associate with celiac is malnutrition, weight loss and diarrhea, but recent studies have shown that about 50% of celiacs gain weight. Symptoms can also include joint and muscle pain, difficulty thinking, heartburn, eye twitches, headaches, difficulty sleeping, etc. I would encourage your girlfriend to get tested and try to diet even if testing comes back negative. Traditional medical testing is notorious for false negatives.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Many celiacs have diarrhea, but many also have constipation. The symptoms that doctors most often associate with celiac is malnutrition, weight loss and diarrhea, but recent studies have shown that about 50% of celiacs gain weight. Symptoms can also include joint and muscle pain, difficulty thinking, heartburn, eye twitches, headaches, difficulty sleeping, etc. I would encourage your girlfriend to get tested and try to diet even if testing comes back negative. Traditional medical testing is notorious for false negatives.

thanks a lot for the info, how do you get tested? I know you can be testes with a blood taking. (not sure how its called) is there anyother ways?

Yesterday we wanted to test if it was a gluten problem, so my girlfriend eated pasta ans bread like never before lol ...and then nothing she was in good form ... but the two past days she was having dificulty to sleep and everything you describe. is it normal taht she react like 2 or 3 days later or as soon as you heat gluten you have consequence.

thanks again

Yesterday we wanted to test if it was a gluten problem, so my girlfriend eated pasta ans bread like never before lol ...and then nothing she was in good form ... but the two past days she was having dificulty to sleep and everything you describe. is it normal taht she react like 2 or 3 days later or as soon as you heat gluten you have consequence.

Yes, a delayed reaction is fairly common. Also there may be a sensitivity to dairy, at least at first. Many report this too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Yes, a delayed reaction is fairly common. Also there may be a sensitivity to dairy, at least at first. Many report this too.

yes, before i found the celiac desease we toght i was dairy, and in fact she goes a bit better without airy so we wnt with soya milk aand stuff like that but when it was continuing i've search again and found the celiac disease. thanks for all the comments, we will se in one or two days how she goes ... because yesterday was a gluten trip

Kbtoyssni- You said that a symptom is eye twitches? Really? I have never heard that but my eyes for the past several months have NOT STOPPED twitching! It drives me crazy! I feel as though I've had something wrong with me since I developed a rash around my nose when I was about 12 years old. I wonder if the eye twitching is a latent symptom from years and years of continuing to eat gluten?! Thoughts?!

Kbtoyssni- You said that a symptom is eye twitches? Really? I have never heard that but my eyes for the past several months have NOT STOPPED twitching! It drives me crazy! I feel as though I've had something wrong with me since I developed a rash around my nose when I was about 12 years old. I wonder if the eye twitching is a latent symptom from years and years of continuing to eat gluten?! Thoughts?!

It's a vitamin B deficiency. Mine twitched for months. I started taking a B supplement, it went away in a matter of days. It's a symptom because of the malabsorption. Malabsorption=nutrient deficiencies.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Thanks for the eye twitch info!! My mother's eye has been driving her crazy for a week now. She tested deficient and got a shot, but it didn't do much. Now if only I could convince her that the problem is celiac... and it doesn't help that she had part of her intestine that aids in absorbtion removed due to colon cancer (which is probably celiac related) but I digress

Sorry to thread hiijack, I just was excited to read that! :)

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

It's a vitamin B deficiency. Mine twitched for months. I started taking a B supplement, it went away in a matter of days. It's a symptom because of the malabsorption. Malabsorption=nutrient deficiencies.

Interesting. I have had it for so long. Then, I started with the B Complex and it pretty much disappeared, too. In addition, I have awful mouth problems. My mouth is constantly irritated. My oral tissues drive me crazy. NOT like canker sores or sores just an overall burning, annoying sensation, with occassional extreme teeth pain. This flair also goes down a lot when I'm taking my B Complex. On Friday I forgot to take it and like clockwork yesterday was hell for me. I'm hoping today or tomorrow for some relief!

What B Complex do you take? And does that make sense to you that if I don't take it, for even one day, that all of the twitching/mouth problems, ect would come back full force?