Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buffettbride

? About Dairy Reactions

Before I get into what I *think* are dairy-related symptoms, I'd like to hear from other parents who observe gluten-free/CF and what types of reactions happen when exposed to dairy/casein.

For a while my daughter was basically dairy-lite because she doesn't care for most dairy products, but she has taken a liking to Yoplait strawberry smoothies for breakfast. However, I *think* I see symptoms, but I'm afraid I might be seeing something that isn't really there.

So, that's where y'all come in!

What happens to your kids who are gluten-free/CF eat or drink something with dairy but that is gluten-free? Are the symptoms the same or sort of the same as a glutening, or something different altogether?

Something is wrong with my punkinhead and I can't quite put my finger on it, and of course I always think it's food. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

Mallory

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think we cover it all here. Out of 5 in the house 4 have positive tests for some level of casein issue. It can be as mild as just a little indigestion and light brain fog, to the "d", to a full blown meltdown depending upon which on of us gets us and how much we get.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Our symptoms aren't precisely the same as a glutening, but it's fairly close.

My dd's symptoms: hyperactivity, stomach ache (though not as much now as exposures are "trace"), trouble sleeping, loose stools with a yellowish tint, emotional outbursts, nightwaking or simply getting up horrendously early (like 5 AM)....then not nap all day.

My symptoms: stomach aches/cramping, bloating, gas, aggitation, fatigue, brain fog and it also seems to trigger psoriasis.

Vicky

My kids all have varying reactions.....my two boys have dry skin patches pop up (my 8 year old also has psoriasis) after they've had dairy. If they've had a big dairy infraction, like when dh got them ice cream, lol, that's when they have loose or green stools. Small bits of cheese don't seem to cause any reaction. My dd who has speech delays seems to have more neurological and behavioral side effects from dairy, rather than gastro or skin issues. And the one time the baby had dairy (thanks to daddy) it made her constipated. So there ya go, we are all over the place when it comes to dairy reactions!

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf