Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katrinm

Maltodextrin

Hello,

I am was diagnose as a celiac about a year ago and am still having problems with things that I don't know if they are gluten free or not.

Is maltodextrin allowed? I saw a doctor on a TV show say that its not but then some websites say that it ok for celiacs.

Does anyone know?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just to clarify further....Maltodextrin in the US is corn derived. If it is other it will be listed as "Maltdextrin (wheat)". In other countries it may be made of wheat and not be listed.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Psawyer helped me understand this ingredient. :) In the US, if an ingredient simply states "Maltodextrin", it, by law, is produced from corn, potato or rice. Here is the actual USDA code regarding this ingredient

"USA Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 184.1444 Maltodextrin

CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6. It is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less that 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes."

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat, but if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin". It is possible for Maltodextrin to be from wheat, but if it is, it has to be disclosed.

So, if you see "maltodextrin" alone, it is safe. If you see Maltodextrin (wheat) or wheat maltodextrin, it is not. It was confusing to me at first but now I get it!

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter