This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Syrup?

Avarismama

Avarismama Apprentice

Using Pamela's Flour mix I made some pretty good pancakes. I used the syrup we had but not sure it was gluten free. Is syrup gluten-free? and please don't trecommend maple, i am not a big fan of it. TIA!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I make our own syrups. Just juice a fruit you like, boil and add sugar to taste Stir and bring back to a boil. If you get some ball jars and follow the canning instructions you can keep them for years otherwise just put in the fridge.

Depending on the fruit, it can be from 35% to 60% sugar.

Easy for me to walk outside here and pick fruit but you can try all sorts of things. Right now we're making tangerine and tangelo syrup.

Another advantage of making your own syrup is that you can use it is a base for salad dressings, glazes and sauces by adding vinegar, herbs, oil or other things you like.

Its worth the effort and you'll know its gluten-free!

Ken

Using Pamela's Flour mix I made some pretty good pancakes. I used the syrup we had but not sure it was gluten free. Is syrup gluten-free? and please don't trecommend maple, i am not a big fan of it. TIA!!
Darn210 Enthusiast

A lot of syrups aren't . . .

Clan Thompson says Eggo syrup and Log Cabin Country Kitchen (MUST BE Country Kitchen) is OK. We've also been known to mix real maple syrup with corn syrup when we've been someplace and couldn't get one of those brands ('cause my daughter won't eat real maple syrup).

Also, I love to take a small thin pancake and wrap it around a sausage link . . . yum.

Avarismama Apprentice

If you don't mind me asking...who is Clan Thompson?

A lot of syrups aren't . . .

Clan Thompson says Eggo syrup and Log Cabin Country Kitchen (MUST BE Country Kitchen) is OK. We've also been known to mix real maple syrup with corn syrup when we've been someplace and couldn't get one of those brands ('cause my daughter won't eat real maple syrup).

Also, I love to take a small thin pancake and wrap it around a sausage link . . . yum.

tarnalberry Community Regular

another option is to use a fruit jam on pancakes. yum!

Darn210 Enthusiast
If you don't mind me asking...who is Clan Thompson?

If you google Clan Thompson, you will find their site. You can purchase food and/or drug lists from them or a subscription where you get updates every three months. I think it would have been most helpful in the first month or so. By the time I purchased it, I had already done a ton of my own research and gotten into my routine of what new brands/products I was going to buy/prepare/eat.

I got it in the Palm Pilot format so that I could take it to the store with me which was great. It does have a lot of brands that may not be local to your area.

kevsmom Contributor

I'm Diabetic and never did like the taste of sugar-free syrups - even on "regular" pancakes. I top my gluten free pancakes with nutrasweet and cinnamon, fruit spread or applesauce and cinnamon. Yumm.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Morrisun Newbie

I just buy 100% Maple Syrup. :)

JennyC Enthusiast

Me too. The fewer the ingredients, the better. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Me three!

I am amazed that the fake syrup manufacturers are able to convince so many of us that their chemical-laden, artificially-flavored syrups are even worth trying--but they ARE kind of addictive, aren't they? That's because of the high-fructose corn syrup, which literally makes you want more and more and more. It also raises your blood sugar just like regular sugar, but does not signal your pancreas to make insulin to deal with that raised blood sugar.

SO--unless you are diabetic, I would recommend only real maple syrup, fruit preserve (beware, jams also contain high fructose corn syrup), or syrup you make yourself with real sugar. And if you are diabetic, well, pancakes are kind of no-no, anyway, as the carbs raise your blood sugar significantly (and gluten-free pancakes are higher in carbs than the gluteny ones).

kenlove Rising Star

Didnt know the gluten-free flours were higher in carbs. Are some lower or the same?

Using honey with juiced fruit makes a great syrup too. I've been borderline diabetic for as long as I can remember so we're always testing alternatives since we make about 100 types of jellies for farmers markets etc. Splenda works if you can stand the taste but I rather just use sugar and watch everything else that I eat.

How does natural honey affect diabetics?

thanks

ken

Me three!

I am amazed that the fake syrup manufacturers are able to convince so many of us that their chemical-laden, artificially-flavored syrups are even worth trying--but they ARE kind of addictive, aren't they? That's because of the high-fructose corn syrup, which literally makes you want more and more and more. It also raises your blood sugar just like regular sugar, but does not signal your pancreas to make insulin to deal with that raised blood sugar.

SO--unless you are diabetic, I would recommend only real maple syrup, fruit preserve (beware, jams also contain high fructose corn syrup), or syrup you make yourself with real sugar. And if you are diabetic, well, pancakes are kind of no-no, anyway, as the carbs raise your blood sugar significantly (and gluten-free pancakes are higher in carbs than the gluteny ones).

tarnalberry Community Regular
Didnt know the gluten-free flours were higher in carbs. Are some lower or the same?

How does natural honey affect diabetics?

refined rice, corn, potato, and tapioca flours are all higher in carbs, but quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat, teff, montina, seed and nut flours are not - so making your pancakes wisely is a good thing. ;)

I'm hypoglycemic, so am careful about my sugar - from what I recall, honey is lower on the glycemic load scale (more useful than glycemic index) than sugar, but not by a lot. agave is a bit lower as well (and sweeter, so you don't need as much). but they're all sugar, so use sparingly.

larry mac Enthusiast
......Also, I love to take a small thin pancake and wrap it around a sausage link . . . yum.

And then do you dunk it in syrup?

I use to get a McDonalds McMuffin (ham, egg, cheese, & english muffin sandwich), ask for a syrup, pour the syrup in one half of the McMuffin container, and dip the McMuffin in the syrup as I ate it. I know it sounds gross but damn, it was so good. :P

best regards, lm

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks much,

Normally I use buckwheat and some quinoa or almond so I guess I'm lucky. Love buckwheat crepes with passionfruit syrup.

refined rice, corn, potato, and tapioca flours are all higher in carbs, but quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat, teff, montina, seed and nut flours are not - so making your pancakes wisely is a good thing. ;)

I'm hypoglycemic, so am careful about my sugar - from what I recall, honey is lower on the glycemic load scale (more useful than glycemic index) than sugar, but not by a lot. agave is a bit lower as well (and sweeter, so you don't need as much). but they're all sugar, so use sparingly.

Avarismama Apprentice

Thanks for all the great ideas! I cannot get a good taste for 100% maple. We don't have pancakes much anyway so I think we'll try the Log Cabin Country Kitchen. Thanks again.

larry mac Enthusiast

I recommend Griffin's Original Syrup, it's the only syrup I've ever found that does NOT contain HFCS. It's made from sugar syrup and corn syrup. I use both real maple syrup and Griffin's. Please note, Griffin's Waffle and Pancake syrup do contain HFCS. Griffin's is in Muskogee, Oklahoma, but it's available in North Texas.

I've made quite an effort to read ingredient labels on syrups, and as far as I know Griffin's ORIGINAL is the only one without HFCS. If anyone knows of another I'd be interested in hearing about it. The only problem I have with HFCS is it tastes flat.

best regards, lm

p.s., have you tried a search on syrup? Simply type the word syrup in the box at the top of this page and press enter.

Darn210 Enthusiast
And then do you dunk it in syrup?

I use to get a McDonalds McMuffin (ham, egg, cheese, & english muffin sandwich), ask for a syrup, pour the syrup in one half of the McMuffin container, and dip the McMuffin in the syrup as I ate it. I know it sounds gross but damn, it was so good. :P

best regards, lm

:lol::lol:

No . . . No dunking!! I'm not a huge pancake fan but my kids are. Maybe I should say I'm not a huge syrup fan . . . just too sweet . . . but the sausage rolled in the pancake gives me that sausage biscuit fix. I have extra pancakes frozen in the freezer and the brand of sausage I use is also precooked and frozen so I can have breakfast in about a minute and it's easy to take on the road if I need to.

I know a few dunkers, though . . . :lol:

cmom Contributor

I really love the Ian's gluten-free French Toast Sticks! They are very close to the real thing IMHO. I thought I could pop them in the microwave, but they need to be baked in the oven...but worth it!! (I dunk them in syrup!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest digmom1014

I know ya'all are talking about syrup but, what about pancakes? I thought I would try buckwheat or something-can anyone recommend a brand to me. There were about 4 different brands when I went to Earthfare and I don't want to go through the same time and money that I did on the whole "finding a bread" escapade.

Thanks!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Our family loves Pamela's.

jerseyangel Proficient
I know ya'all are talking about syrup but, what about pancakes? I thought I would try buckwheat or something-can anyone recommend a brand to me. There were about 4 different brands when I went to Earthfare and I don't want to go through the same time and money that I did on the whole "finding a bread" escapade.

Thanks!

Gluten Free Pantry--the best pancakes ever! We have them every Sunday with blueberries :)

Archived