This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Son Complains Of Leg Pain

mama2two

mama2two Enthusiast

anyone else's child complain of leg pain? my son has been complaining of this for several days now and I am not sure what to make of it. he has no other symptoms but is now complaining of symptoms of a UTI, I let them have a bubble bath a couple weeks ago. I am taking him to the pedi today. I am wondering if it's not enough calcium, they drink almond milk, but he does not drink much, he is still nursing a little. one reason it really concerns me is that my cousin had compliants of leg pain at 5yrs and he was diagnosed with leukemia, but he also had fever and could hardly walk on his. my son walks well, but I have noticed him with a slight limp once and he was stiff legged today, just in the morning. any thoughts or similiar experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dbmamaz Explorer

Even tho I never had them, all my kids have had varying degrees of 'growing pains.' My daughter would wake in the night with pains in her legs. It was the muscles, and massage and heating pad would cure it. my first son's pains were in his tendons. Only ibuprofen fixed that. He also had ongoing pain in his legs during the day, and it got worse and worse. Eventually we ended up at a physical therapist who said one of his tendons was just really tight, and gave him some excercises which really helped. My 4 yo just falls asleep better if I massage his legs a bit.

So it could be a sprain, or growing pains, or a bruise even - dont worry too much!

home-based-mom Contributor
anyone else's child complain of leg pain? my son has been complaining of this for several days now and I am not sure what to make of it. he has no other symptoms but is now complaining of symptoms of a UTI, I let them have a bubble bath a couple weeks ago. I am taking him to the pedi today. I am wondering if it's not enough calcium, they drink almond milk, but he does not drink much, he is still nursing a little. one reason it really concerns me is that my cousin had compliants of leg pain at 5yrs and he was diagnosed with leukemia, but he also had fever and could hardly walk on his. my son walks well, but I have noticed him with a slight limp once and he was stiff legged today, just in the morning. any thoughts or similiar experience?

Commercial bubble baths are prime sources of UTI. Pour whatever you use to wash him with under the running water as the tub fills up and it should provide safer bubbles.

I had lots of leg "growing" pains as a child and have learned here that I could have been gluten intolerant as far back as then! :o

You'll know more after seeing the doctor.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

There is no such thing as growing pains. I had those leg pains as a child, but it was because I cannot eat wheat, rye, oats, or barley. I was also anemic. We were also poor & did not have medical attention, & my mother said that I just had growing pains. I have double DQ1 genes, so am classified as gluten intolerant. I found out I was severly allergic to barley & oats when I was 25, I am 61 now. Too bad I did not find out there was something called gluten... I also cannot have dairy.

I hope you get your child checked for anemia & also check to see that he is not getting CC from some of the gluten free grain replacements, like Diamond Nut thin crackers, or Quacker Rice Cakes, that sort of stuff...

JennyC Enthusiast

My son has been getting growing pains too. As a child I used to get UTIs all the time. Avon has a bubble bath that I could use it is supposed to be very gentle.

bekalu Newbie

my son had pains in his legs until going gluten free. he would wake up crying most nights. it only took a few days of him being gluten free for his leg cramps to stop completely.

shayesmom Rookie

If you suspect a UTI, you may want to look into getting a D-Mannose supplement. It is a powder made from the ingredient in cranberries which prevents UTI's. You can mix it in water or juice.

My dd got dx'd with a UTI last year. We did not have to take antibiotics as a combination of D-Mannose and probiotics cleared it up in about 48 hours. I did get a prescription for our doctor "just in case". Luckily, I had read that D-Mannose was one of the most effective things to give someone with a UTI, not only to treat it, but to prevent it.

As for the leg pain....there are several vitamin deficiencies which could cause it. Somehow, I suspect that this isn't a problem with calcium, more likely Vitamin A, possibly magnesium.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aprilh Apprentice

Last year my daughter had severe leg pains that at times she would not even walk on them. After 7 doctor visits, we figured out she was anemic. The iron supplementation helped.

Then just recently in the last 2 weeks, they started again. Checked her blood and once again she is anemic. She has been gluten free and mostly dairy free for about 1 1/2 years or so.

I don't believe in growing pains. I think that is an answer to a problem that doctors don't know the answer to. I wonder if in many of those cases had they checked iron levels they may have come back low.

Lead in the tissues can displace iron. Malabsorption in the gut can cause iron deficiency. Mold exposure can mess up iron levels as well.

mama2two Enthusiast

Well, his urine was OK, no uti. My pedi said to wait a week and see if he continues to complain and keep a record of it, what leg, etc. She said we may do an xray and blood work if it continues. He went two days with no complaints and today he has complained twice, but one time he was sitting on his legs. We will see, but I am leaning towards getting the diagnostics done at the end of the week regardless of how many times he complains. I want to rule out the bad stuff. I will keep you posted.

scotty Explorer

i apologize ahead of time but did not read other replies...

i know i had a run in with unepxected glutenening there a couple months ago and my legs started breaking down all over the place as they had just before going g;luten free; everything was starting to come back; maybe there is a sneaky gluten getting in somewhere. crazy as it sounds, mine was Bob's Red Mill. just happened again this past week here. determined me...gotta find foods though; gotta go through them a few times then stop then go back...gotta figure out how they will work for me

TCA Contributor

I had TERRIBLE "growing pains" as a child. I was tested for everything from RA to leukemia, all negative. i was told it was in my head and to deal with it. "Take a tylenol and you'll outgrow them." At 29 I still had them. My daughter was born and I went gluten-free while nursing her because of suspected (later confirmed) celiac disease. After a few months of her thriving I noticed that I was not hurting for the first time in my life. When I now get an accidental glutening, the pain is almost unbearable. A friend has the same symptoms and went gluten-free with the same miraculous results. I never would have suspected gluten, but there is no doubt it was to blame for my lifetime of pain. good luck in assessing the problem with your son. It could be anything, but it was gluten for me.

fedora Enthusiast

My son gets terrible leg pains. I think they are probably dietary(he is not gluten free yet) and vitamin related.

I don't believe in growing pains, BUT the medical field says growing pains NEVER happen during the day. That is a definate sign of more. Even they realize it shouldn't happen during the day, but I think it shouldn't happen at all.

When I was growing rapidly as a child I had them horrible, but then I continued to have them after I stopped growing. I also was vomiting, had D, and skin rash, and terrible awful moods. All gluten intolerant symptoms-for years. The Drs diagnosed me with stomach bugs and growing pains. UGH. That led me to not trust them at a young age, they never listened to me or validated me at all.

I have had joint and muscle pain my entire adult life, but it has gone away since going off gluten :D

I got accidentally gluttened and my shoulder hurt a bit.

Not sure if that was helpful, but good luck. I am hoping when I take my son off gluten they will stop(it's his only symptom,but it was my first)

RiceGuy Collaborator

What worked for me is magnesium. I also started taking a sublingual methylcobalamin (B12), and vitamin D, both of which I believe have been important factors.

jen2be2 Explorer

My DD Jiselle has had chronic leg pain since October '06( since she was 4 years old). She can not even walk up the stairs without being in pain.

She was dignosed with Celiac in Jan '07. She got her first - bloodwork 6 months ago and she still has terrible shin pain. We just met with Endocrine 2 days ago and after several tests and scans,he has dignosed her with juvenile ostoperosis (sp?). He tells me that her leg pain could be caused by her very low bone density.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Leg pains can have many causes. My grandson (who is also gluten and nightshade intolerant) gets dreadful leg pains from red food dye. So, it can be caused by things other than gluten.

I had 'growing pains' for over fifty years, until I went off gluten, lectins and salicylates.

I like Rice Guy's suggestions for extra magnesium and vitamin B12 (a B complex is good on top of taking B12, because the B vitamins work together). Anemia is another possibility. And hopefully it isn't osteoporosis (which isn't too likely with a child that young).

I also don't believe in growing pains. When doctors don't know what causes pains in young kids, they'll 'diagnose' growing pains, and in adults it is psychological. Whatever.

Don't give up on looking for the cause, because if you look long enough, you'll eventually find it.

scotty Explorer
I had 'growing pains' for over fifty years, until I went off gluten, lectins and salicylates.

Ursa,

what are these things more specifically. i guess i am wondering which foods you eat or which you avoid to avoid lectins and salicytates?

Ursa Major Collaborator

Scotty, I am in Mexico right now and don't have my bookmarks, of course. I will answer your question with links to follow when I am back home (we are flying tomorrow).

scotty Explorer
Scotty, I am in Mexico right now and don't have my bookmarks, of course. I will answer your question with links to follow when I am back home (we are flying tomorrow).

great

Archived