Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smooth1nfernal

"gluten Free Restaurants" Needs An Overhaul.

Hello,

I was just browsing the Gluten Free Restaurants section, and i found it prohibitively hard to use. More than any other forum I've used.

I have a suggestion that would make that section more usable; To separate it by location, specifically: Canada-east/west, US-Northeast/Northwest/Southeast/southwest. I'm not sure if any EU countries are represented here, but certainly these locations could be expanded.

And in addition, the number of "pinned" topics is unwieldy to view, and isn't all that great for the layout of the site. I'm sure some of those threads could be merged and others just unpinned. Only Very important topics should be pinned. All other topics drift down until someone finds them using the search function.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for your suggestions for the restuarant forum.

We feel that everyone's topics are very important.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

On this board, the pinning of a topic indicates that a moderator has read the topic, and found that it is in compliance with the board rules, and that it is in the correct section of the board. In the normal course of events, every topic is either pinned or deleted.

An unpinned topic typically means it has not yet been reviewed. This is usually of short duration since there a number of moderators spread across four time zones. If an unpinned post is more than a few hours old, it has likely somehow slipped through the cracks--it does happen once in a while.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I, too, was at first surprised & maybe disenfranchised by all the pinned threads.

I ended up realizing it just doesn't quite mean the same thing as in other forums & actually works quite well for this situation.

Here, 'pinned' is more of an 'approved by management' for viewing/replying, as opposed to the usual purpose of 'pinned' on other forums.

W/out this system in place, the threads at the top (most recent) could often be stupid sales pitches or other bs that just doesn't belong.

It is admittedly quite different to see EVERYthing pinned, but it's a non-issue once you see that it keeps viewable threads relevant.

Spam & bs 'testimonials'/sales pitches are kept out of sight. One of the greatest attributes of this method is that it prevents celiac newbies from seeing such egregiously erroneous and potentially very harmful 'info' on this forum. (e.g. "miracle cures" that a newbie doesn't know better about yet) Seeing such bs on a respected forum gives it legitimacy, and THAT would disgust me.

So, despite initial misgivings, for THIS forum the pinning method works.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

I, too, was at first surprised & maybe disenfranchised by all the pinned threads.

I ended up realizing it just doesn't quite mean the same thing as in other forums & actually works quite well for this situation.

Here, 'pinned' is more of an 'approved by management' for viewing/replying, as opposed to the usual purpose of 'pinned' on other forums.

W/out this system in place, the threads at the top (most recent) could often be stupid sales pitches or other bs that just doesn't belong.

It is admittedly quite different to see EVERYthing pinned, but it's a non-issue once you see that it keeps viewable threads relevant.

Spam & bs 'testimonials'/sales pitches are kept out of sight. One of the greatest attributes of this method is that it prevents celiac newbies from seeing such egregiously erroneous and potentially very harmful 'info' on this forum. (e.g. "miracle cures" that a newbie doesn't know better about yet) Seeing such bs on a respected forum gives it legitimacy, and THAT would disgust me.

So, despite initial misgivings, for THIS forum the pinning method works.

Thanks for the insight, this forum is pretty different, but i'm glad it works for the members.

As for another point in my previous post, I came here searching for a list of Restaurants in Winnipeg that have a celiac-friendly menu.

It is a very worthwhile goal, to try to compile lists for as many large cities as is possible, where celiac-friendly food can be bought.

atm, i could find very little data on my search, but im sure if we were to make lists, and notify the regional celiac associations, there would be people out there in the large cities who would come forward with the local celiac supermarkets.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Join eNewsletter

It is a very worthwhile goal, to try to compile lists for as many large cities as is possible, where celiac-friendly food can be bought.

atm, i could find very little data on my search, but im sure if we were to make lists, and notify the regional celiac associations, there would be people out there in the large cities who would come forward with the local celiac supermarkets.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Certainly a worthwhile goal.

I *have* seen lists of restaurants and stores for indiv cities at the sites of that city's own celiac group.

Phoenix & San Diego come to mind.

It sure would make the transition a TON easier for ppl getting started.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter