Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greendog

Gluten Protein Destruction

Does anyone know if the Gluten Protein can exist in a vaporized state. I have read and heard that if the substance gluten is in is heated to a temperature where it vaporizes that when it turns back to liquid the protein is gone. I have also read that if a thin crust pizza is baked long enough in a true pizza oven that is like > 500 degrees that the gluten protein is destroyed.

"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, simply put, no. Temps above 500 would render a burnt pizza and a smoky kitchen. The "vaporized" gluten, along with every other organic substance in the pizza is turned into carbon dioxide as it burns. So, no more gluten and no more pizza.

p.s. recondensing the pizza, less the gluten, into a liquid isn't an option.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I have also read that if a thin crust pizza is baked long enough in a true pizza oven that is like > 500 degrees that the gluten protein is destroyed.

I'd like to know where you read that, as they need to be educated.

It's false.

Also, our problem w/ gluten is really w/ a protein fraction inside a gluten molecule. In wheat it's called gliadin.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

the 33-mer (chain of 33 amino acids that makes up a section of the whole protein molecule of gliadin) that we react to is *very* durable. tests have shown that it withstands heat over 600 degrees. you can't 'cook' it out.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Guest Happynwgal2
Does anyone know if the Gluten Protein can exist in a vaporized state. I have read and heard that if the substance gluten is in is heated to a temperature where it vaporizes that when it turns back to liquid the protein is gone. I have also read that if a thin crust pizza is baked long enough in a true pizza oven that is like > 500 degrees that the gluten protein is destroyed.

A lot of good answers to this already - had this been true, we all would have run to out ovens and baked the gluten to death, while the rest of the food that it was in, would still be yummy and eatable...

A lot of people just don't realize what gluten is in the first place and there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Join eNewsletter

I'd like to know where you read that, as they need to be educated.

It's false.

Also, our problem w/ gluten is really w/ a protein fraction inside a gluten molecule. In wheat it's called gliadin.

I've been on this gluten kick for about 15 of my adult years so I know about the gliadin. How about if the gliadin is in something like alcohol which can be vaporized.

Join eNewsletter

Well, simply put, no. Temps above 500 would render a burnt pizza and a smoky kitchen. The "vaporized" gluten, along with every other organic substance in the pizza is turned into carbon dioxide as it burns. So, no more gluten and no more pizza.

p.s. recondensing the pizza, less the gluten, into a liquid isn't an option.

Well MommaGoose I was actually talking about 2 different situations. One being the pizza in the oven and one being gliadin in a liquid state. When I mentioned vaporized I was actually referring to the gliadin in the liquid state (like alcohol). And in my old moonshining days I think we were able to vaporize some of that liquid. At least before we drank it or it blew up the still. :P

Join eNewsletter

It is generally accepted that the distillation process used in making spirit alcohol and distilled vinegar produces a gluten-free product.

This is true not because the gluten is destroyed, but because it does not pass into the vapor. This does not say that gluten cannot be vaporized, but that these processes involve carefully controlled temperatures that are not nearly high enough for that to happen.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

It is generally accepted that the distillation process used in making spirit alcohol and distilled vinegar produces a gluten-free product.

This is true not because the gluten is destroyed, but because it does not pass into the vapor. This does not say that gluten cannot be vaporized, but that these processes involve carefully controlled temperatures that are not nearly high enough for that to happen.

Thank you, this is helpful. Do you know of any processing for like Lite Beers that would remove some of the gliadin? I'm sort of an anomoly in that I can't eat a few crumbs of gluten in a breadlike state without having harsh side effects, but can drink some Lite Beers with little or no side effects.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter