This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Being Celiac/or gluten-free Effect Your Taste?

silk

silk Contributor

Odd question I'm sure...although since finding this board, I have discovered that there is really no question too odd for this disease. I have noticed since going gluten-free 3 months ago that things taste different to me.

For instance, I have always eaten and loved natural unsweetened applesauce. Now when I eat it, no matter what brand, it has almost a chemical aftertaste to me. Also, last evening I made a gluten-free chicken pot pie with ricemilk in the gravy and tapioca and white rice flour in the pastry dough and although it looked yummy and my husband and daughter, who are straight...um I think I mean they can eat toxic glutened stuff, loved it. Said it was delicious and that they wanted me to make it again. It tasted okay to me too except that it had the chemical taste as well. I also seem to be more sensitive to salty and sweet. There have been other things that taste different too, right on the tip of my tongue... :P just cant think of them right now. Also, while I have always liked tuna once in a while...now I crave it. Favorite lunch: Can of tuna, crunched up mission corn chips, chopped up celery and carrot and a little cider vinegar. Grosses most people out to even watch me eat it but it tastes so good to me right now. Used to love a good steak. Not loving it so much anymore. Tastes different and also seems to bother my stomach more than it used to. Maybe that is because my stomach used to hurt all of the time from the gluten and I never attributed the pain to other foods as well but beef and pork...ack..just seem harder to digest since going gluten free.

Has anyone else experienced this or can I add a new wrinkle to the fabric of my life? (Geez. I need a big iron!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikky Contributor

dont worry your not the only one, ive come across a lot of gluten free food that has a strange after taste, i think its something to do with the alternatives they use, i have also been noticing salt more.

normal food that is naturally gluten-free tastes the same to me though, maybe your just noticing how things taste more now that you feel well enough to taste your food and enjoy it rather than just chewing and swallowing?

and its natural to have a bigger appetite now because your body is making up for a long period of not being able to get any nutrients or fat from your food

CDFAMILY Rookie

Silk,

You may want to get your vitamin and mineral levels checked. When my daughter and I were low on zinc everything tastes weird and not the same.

Open Original Shared Link

Zinc: What is it?

Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell. It stimulates the activity of approximately 100 enzymes, which are substances that promote biochemical reactions in your body (1,2). Zinc supports a healthy immune system (3,4), is needed for wound healing (5), helps maintain your sense of taste and smell (6), and is needed for DNA synthesis (2). Zinc also supports normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence (7, 8).

Are you taking a good multivitamin?

There is a zinc copper ratio you need so it is best to get levels checked before taking them.

kenlove Rising Star

I found myself more sensitive to sweet and less to salt after almost 2 years. I never used added salt before going gluten-free.

Have always felt processed things taste like chemicals. I also cant stand to eat anything that touched aluminum foil.

Your favorite lunch sounds great to me!

Odd question I'm sure...although since finding this board, I have discovered that there is really no question too odd for this disease. I have noticed since going gluten-free 3 months ago that things taste different to me.

For instance, I have always eaten and loved natural unsweetened applesauce. Now when I eat it, no matter what brand, it has almost a chemical aftertaste to me. Also, last evening I made a gluten-free chicken pot pie with ricemilk in the gravy and tapioca and white rice flour in the pastry dough and although it looked yummy and my husband and daughter, who are straight...um I think I mean they can eat toxic glutened stuff, loved it. Said it was delicious and that they wanted me to make it again. It tasted okay to me too except that it had the chemical taste as well. I also seem to be more sensitive to salty and sweet. There have been other things that taste different too, right on the tip of my tongue... :P just cant think of them right now. Also, while I have always liked tuna once in a while...now I crave it. Favorite lunch: Can of tuna, crunched up mission corn chips, chopped up celery and carrot and a little cider vinegar. Grosses most people out to even watch me eat it but it tastes so good to me right now. Used to love a good steak. Not loving it so much anymore. Tastes different and also seems to bother my stomach more than it used to. Maybe that is because my stomach used to hurt all of the time from the gluten and I never attributed the pain to other foods as well but beef and pork...ack..just seem harder to digest since going gluten free.

Has anyone else experienced this or can I add a new wrinkle to the fabric of my life? (Geez. I need a big iron!)

silk Contributor
I found myself more sensitive to sweet and less to salt after almost 2 years. I never used added salt before going gluten-free.

Have always felt processed things taste like chemicals. I also cant stand to eat anything that touched aluminum foil.

Your favorite lunch sounds great to me!

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I'm not the only odd duck on the block. I had been taking Magnesium with Zinc and a good multivitamin but went through such a bad spell with my stomach a couple of weeks ago that I quit taking them and anything else but my necessary meds to see if things would calm down. They did so I will have to try again.

I also don't like things wrapped in foil or anything like pop or softdrinks out of a metal can. Had to be in the glass. Can't do milk out of the little paper cartons either. Used to gag me when I was a kid in school.

kenlove Rising Star

I dont think I had a coke since I was 10 and thats back when they cost 7 cents!

Never liked carbonation or the taste of anything from a metal can either.

You raise a good point though. I wonder if the vitamins can affect our taste perception.

I stopped all meds when I was diagnosed and have been gradually adding vitamins that I used to take when I know for sure they are gluten-free.

take care

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know I'm not the only odd duck on the block. I had been taking Magnesium with Zinc and a good multivitamin but went through such a bad spell with my stomach a couple of weeks ago that I quit taking them and anything else but my necessary meds to see if things would calm down. They did so I will have to try again.

I also don't like things wrapped in foil or anything like pop or softdrinks out of a metal can. Had to be in the glass. Can't do milk out of the little paper cartons either. Used to gag me when I was a kid in school.

Archived