Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BossDelaney

Bus Trip...need Help!

Hey guys...i'm new to this forum thing...but i'm in need of help and thought, hey! Why not! I'm 16 years old and just got diagnosed with celiac after thanksgiving. I've adjusted to the diet quite well (having never been much of a bread or pasta eater anyway)...but I've found myself stuck.

My church highschool youth group goes on a winter retreat every year up in the adorondak mountains in NY. It's a 6 hour busride...which is usually cool cuz we stop at a rest stop and all have burger king or dunkin donuts or w/e is there for lunch. You starting to see my problem? I'm going to bring various gluten free snacks w/ me on the bus (i just found out that all LAYS STAX products are gluten free AND made on gluten free equipment :D ) but my mom still wants me to pack a cold lunch. Any suggestions? I've got all my other meals planned out and ready to bring, but its just the bus lunches i'm havin trouble with.

Please respond soon!!!! I'm leaving this friday!!!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have had to deal with this type of thing in the U.S. and on my study abroad in Europe. You could take a cold lunch but there is no need. I always take self-contained snacks and fruit. Make sure you have plenty for both ways and that you eat well during the trip, though.

Join eNewsletter

I've had that problem on a week-long trip...I've found that ham or turkey cold cuts are okay (if they don't have modified food starch), and another choice is cooking something gluten-free beforehand and packing it for later.

I'M A JESUS FREAK!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter