Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terbie

Could My Mom Be Gluten Intolerant

Hi everyone,

I'm gluten intolerant and ever since then, my mother has wondered if she is too. She decided to go a gluten free diet for a few weeks to check. She experiences bloating, diarrhea, sinus congestion, and trouble sleeping. Other than the bloating, none of her symptoms are like mine.

She went off gluten, but the only thing she has noticed is that her sinuses are clear for the first time in years, but all her other symptoms still exist. I have to admit, even though I tell her what she shouldn't eat on a gluten-free diet, she isn't all that great at being really strict about it (still eating processed foods with low levels of gluten).

Even though all her symptoms haven't gone away, does that mean that she isn't gluten intolerant? I felt amazingly better after a week on the gluten-free diet (granted, my symptoms were much more severe then hers), but she hasn't really noticed that big of a change.

Could she be experiencing something else? Thoughts?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It takes longer for some to notice the benefits of the gluten-free diet. I basically saw little change until about six months. Plus, since she seems to still be getting gluten, though in smaller amounts, that I'm sure will prevent full recovery. The longer a Celiac has been eating gluten, the more likely it is for severe damage, thus a longer recovery time.

So I'd suggest a strict adherence to the diet, and just be patient.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

There are some who are asymptomatic or who experience very mild symptoms, even though they may have significant intestinal damage. Even within the same family one can be asymptomatic and another with severe symptoms. This is one of the reasons that they strongly recommend that all family members be tested if someone in the family has been diagnosed. It is because of family testing that some have been diagnosed when they would not have otherwise thought they had reason to be tested.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter