Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mustluvcats

Gluten Free Vodka

Does anyone know if Vodka is Gluten Free? I have had several heated arguments with bartendars about them. I say only the potatoe or grape Vodka's are gluten free. The web sites of most Vodka's list wheat and grains, which is what Celiac and Wheat sensitivity people are to stay away from. There is also a restaurant that list several Vodka's in their gluten-free cocktail menu. Those Vodka's ingrediants is listed as wheat and grains. I don't get it!! I have noticed that if I drink anything other than potatoes vodka, I get sick! Anyone else have the same problems?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't have potato. I drink Smirnoff with no trouble. B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

You are wise to stick with the potato vodka. Most bartenders don't know what gluten really is and think gluten is what they have at the seat of their pants. Matter of fact I just read a post that said PF Chang has a gluten free drink consisting of gluten free potato vodka and gluten free white grape juice. The other vodkas can't be trusted because they keep adding stuff to give them different flavors, like what they did to Schnapps. What they have done is ruin what we used to call traditional vodka.

"The decisions we make dictate the life we live. To thine on self be true."

Join eNewsletter

Smirnoff is made entirely from corn, with no added flavoring.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

All vodka is gluten free, no matter what kind of alcohol it is made from. The high temperatures grain alcohol is subjected to renders the gluten safe for celiacs. Vodka with flavors are usually safe as well. Drink and enjoy!

Join eNewsletter

All vodka is gluten free, no matter what kind of alcohol it is made from. The high temperatures grain alcohol is subjected to renders the gluten safe for celiacs. Vodka with flavors are usually safe as well. Drink and enjoy!

Actually, this is not the case. High temperature has nothing to do with it. The distillation process takes place at a low enough temperature that no gluten molecules evaporate. With none in the vapor, none can condense into the distillate. They all stay behind in the residual mash.

It is generally accepted that all distilled alcohol (and vinegar) is gluten-free due to the distillation, however some people (including some celiacs) have an adverse reaction to distilled alcohol and/or distilled vinegar.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I just recently received this from Smirnoff......

March 31, 2008

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for taking time to contact Smirnoff. We appreciate hearing from

our consumers because your feedback is important.

Please be advised that all of the unflavored Smirnoff vodkas are gluten

free. As well as the Citrus, Orange, Raspberry flavored and the Smirnoff

Black are all gluten free. We hope this information makes your shopping a

little easier.

Once again, thank you for contacting Smirnoff.

Sincerely,

Monica D

Smirnoff Consumer Representative

Smirnoff is clearly original - check out www.smirnoff.com to find out more

Check out www.thebar.com for fabulous drink recipes, party ideas and more

Now, they may still be confused with this whole distillation process. And I have come to find that regardless of that, if I drink vodka made from grains, I do get sick. I have been told however that Smirnoff is made from " grains " - CORN and so it is all good.

Join eNewsletter

..... I have noticed that if I drink anything other than potatoes vodka, I get sick!....

What more is there to say? Go with your gut feeling. Stick with what works for you.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter